Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been tinkering with playing new C64 games lately, like Sam's Journey and Steel Ranger. Really nice stuff. And while there's a lot of remakes and remasters of old 8-bit games like Hunter's Moon and Yoomp! 64, I didn't realize the scene was still so alive and vibrant. I mean, the Commodore 64 is ancient computer museum shit, son! It shouldn't be as popular as it is, but I'm happy it is. No computer or video gaming console gave me as much joy as my old C64 in the late 80s/early 90s. Even my Amiga 500 felt like a step down from the C64 for me, though that's borderline crazy thinking. Hey, I adore my 64.

In other C64 news, I have also been continuing to tinker with my C64 and C128 lbretro cores for Retroarch. Discovered that the Sony NTSC palette can be used with PAL which makes it look less like ass and more like tits. Using custom viewports in Retroarch I got my big fucking screen (but cheap) Vizio TV filled with C64 real estate in CRT shader heaven and Ultima 5 looks glorious, better than the PC ports (though not that remake in the Dungeon Siege engine). Now that I've mastered disk swap flipfiles I might just attempt that massive collection of floppy dsk imagery known as Newcomer.. or not. Been playing a bit of Ultima 5 for the C64 and it never looked or sounded better. The PC version, even with all the enhancement patches don't do justice to the C64 port, imo. However, I discovered that the Vice x128 libretro core can't be used with command lines so no C128 emulation for Ultima 5 with all its nice music that the IBM U5 mods stole from.

Luzur

Good Sir
The Shadows of Sergoth - Superb work in progress Amiga Dungeon Crawler gets another teaser!

If you have an Amstrad near by, chances are you would've come across the excellent homebrew Dungeon Crawler ' The Shadows of Sergoth ' which blew many of us away with high quality development featuring over 46000 lines of assembly code, fast coded graphics, monsters and cool loot. Well if you don't have an Amstrad but instead an Amiga, you will be pleased to know the previously announced work in progress Amiga version, has just got a very cool video update!

The Shadows of Sergoth is currently being ported over to the Amiga by Colin Vella, Graphics and Sound by Saul Cross, publishing by the popular publishers Double Sided Games with full support of the original Amstrad team. As for the video above, it shows the latest work in progress with new additions: title screen background, teleporters through ground and ceiling holes, banners to find and collect, improvements to the level builder (not in this video), and a sneak peak at the music!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, very strange development story of this one, it's a RPG originally designed on the Amstrad CPC then upgrade-ported over to the Amiga.

Mortmal

Arcane
The Shadows of Sergoth - Superb work in progress Amiga Dungeon Crawler gets another teaser!

If you have an Amstrad near by, chances are you would've come across the excellent homebrew Dungeon Crawler ' The Shadows of Sergoth ' which blew many of us away with high quality development featuring over 46000 lines of assembly code, fast coded graphics, monsters and cool loot. Well if you don't have an Amstrad but instead an Amiga, you will be pleased to know the previously announced work in progress Amiga version, has just got a very cool video update!

The Shadows of Sergoth is currently being ported over to the Amiga by Colin Vella, Graphics and Sound by Saul Cross, publishing by the popular publishers Double Sided Games with full support of the original Amstrad team. As for the video above, it shows the latest work in progress with new additions: title screen background, teleporters through ground and ceiling holes, banners to find and collect, improvements to the level builder (not in this video), and a sneak peak at the music!
Music is especially good on this port.

Luzur

Good Sir

Music is especially good on this port.

Luzur

Good Sir
Realms of Quest V - An eye opening RPG for the VIC-20 gets a new trailer

Way back in 2014 developer Ghislain de Blois released Realms of Quest IV for the Commodore VIC-20 through the publisher Psytronik. It was another game in the series as a fine tribute to classic style turn based, party based dungeon crawlers of the 1980‘s, with graphics reminiscent of the early Wizardry games I-IV. If you remember those awesome games, you'll be pleased to know Double Sided Games have shown off new footage of the upcoming sequel in the series as ' Realms of Quest V ' by Ghislain De Blois@hitfan2000!

The previous game in the series had wireframe graphics, a 10 level hand designed dungeon complete with spinners, teleporters, pits, and darkness zones, monsters galore, plus a temple to heal your characters, a shop to purchase and sell equipment, and an inn to rest and train levels. But this latest game is going even further! As according to the original write up of the game, it will require a 32K RAM expansion, have multiple disk sides, hundreds of monsters, characters and portraits, many different players and classes, a huge party of up to 10 player characters ( possibly a record ) and much much more!

Links :1) Website ( Release Date : Second half of 2019 )

Website ( Release Date : Second half of 2019 )

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/03/realms-of-quest-v-eye-opening-rpg-for.html

Mortmal

Arcane
Realms of Quest V - An eye opening RPG for the VIC-20 gets a new trailer

Way back in 2014 developer Ghislain de Blois released Realms of Quest IV for the Commodore VIC-20 through the publisher Psytronik. It was another game in the series as a fine tribute to classic style turn based, party based dungeon crawlers of the 1980‘s, with graphics reminiscent of the early Wizardry games I-IV. If you remember those awesome games, you'll be pleased to know Double Sided Games have shown off new footage of the upcoming sequel in the series as ' Realms of Quest V ' by Ghislain De Blois@hitfan2000!

The previous game in the series had wireframe graphics, a 10 level hand designed dungeon complete with spinners, teleporters, pits, and darkness zones, monsters galore, plus a temple to heal your characters, a shop to purchase and sell equipment, and an inn to rest and train levels. But this latest game is going even further! As according to the original write up of the game, it will require a 32K RAM expansion, have multiple disk sides, hundreds of monsters, characters and portraits, many different players and classes, a huge party of up to 10 player characters ( possibly a record ) and much much more!

Links :1) Website ( Release Date : Second half of 2019 )

Website ( Release Date : Second half of 2019 )

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/03/realms-of-quest-v-eye-opening-rpg-for.html

They have pretty good artwork, wish they were instead doing a full pc blobber without the vic 20 limitation. Heck even an amiga blober fate style,could be great.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The VIC-20 is too retro even for me. I remember selling my massive practically brand new 250-watt per channel (RMS) Kenwood receiver for $300 just so I could buy "The new Commodore VIC-20 computer! The only computer you'll ever need!" as The Shatman in the ads expertly conned. I think I used it for 6 months then put it away in storage, until I got my first REAL computer - the C64 a few years later. Meanwhile, the mildly retarded kid I sold my receiver to was bobbing to some banging beats on my 250-watt Kenwood receiver as I was masturbating too much and watching re-runs of Happy Days on my crappy 3rd hand Zenith TV with the preponderance of green tint because its CRT tube was starting to go. There was a little game called "Pipes!" that I typed into my VIC-20 from COMPUTE! magazine that I liked though... and it only took 30 minutes to load from my datasette!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The problem with this kind of game is that you never know much of its actual reputation and ratings go to the fact it is retro in itself. Why would anyone play this, rather than an unplayed episode of Magic Candle or a Gold Box SSI is what I want to know.

Luzur

Good Sir
Did i post this?

e757dfb4cd9bd9b89565dea020f3f7e8_original.png

Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous is a new 8-bit fantasy role-playing game for PC and C64 inspired by the classic RPGs of the 80's.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...own-realm-an-8bit-rpg-for-pc-and-commodore-64

and new Amiga game in the works.

Luzur

Good Sir
Briley Witch - A new C64 RPG is in development by Sarah Jane Avory

We've been checking our sources for more Halloween news and have only just come across a game developed by Sarah Jane Avory, that might just fit the upcoming event just perfectly! This is ' Briley Witch '; a lovely looking new RPG by the writer of The Briley Witch Chronicles and Stone Of Argentos trilogy, that is coming to a C64 near you at some point in the future!

Mortmal

Arcane
The problem with this kind of game is that you never know much of its actual reputation and ratings go to the fact it is retro in itself. Why would anyone play this, rather than an unplayed episode of Magic Candle or a Gold Box SSI is what I want to know.
It caters to a crowd with no unplayed magic candle or goldbox games, so a few hundreds alive at best... People dont have such fond memories of the vic 20 compare to c64 or amiga considerably more impressive machines in my opinion . So this kind of games is just an hobby thing and only real purpose is make the devs feel younger again i think.

Luzur

Good Sir
Black Dawn Rebirth - Double Sided Games latest Amiga crawler with new enemies!

Double Sided Games have been showing off big time this last month, what with the upcoming Realms of Quest V and The Shadows of Sergoth teased again with new footage. But those games are not the only ones with a new video update. As this weekend that same company have shown off some new footage of their work in progress game of ' Black Dawn Rebirth ', which is the 7th episode of the Black Dawn Dungeon Crawler/RPG series that is going to be released on the Amiga at some point in the near future.

As we said before Black Dawn Rebirth is the 7th episode in the series, set in a futuristic science-fiction/horror theme. It is currently in development by one of its original authors Shaun Watters with the support of the creator of the series, Andy Campbell as well as further support from Ten Shu (Barbarian+) working on the graphics and music by Mike Richmond who already worked on the Black Dawn series. As for this video update however, it includes new HUD fuctionalities and colours, a Mini map(YAY!), new level designs, and new enemies which may change during development.

Luzur

Good Sir
The Wild Wood - A new game is coming to the C64 and it looks incredible!

Indie Retro News has always tried to be one of the top ended sites for the latest in retro gaming news spanning across multiple 8bit systems such as the Amstrad, C64 or the ZX Spectrum. So it's with great pleasure to announce as thanks to a heads up by our good friend Retroplay, a new game that is coming to the C64 called ' The Wild Wood '; a game which if you read the information below will surely end up at the top of your wishlist!

According to the forum thread linked below, The Wild Wood will be the first game in 25 years to have 3 coders working on it, spanning across a team of people such as Achim, Wanax and Zirias (Coders), with sounds and music by NM156 and graphics and design by Hend. As for the story, you must help navigate young Hare on his adventure into the the heart of the Wild Woods! Across moonlit fields, through Ancient Ruins, underground into Cavernous Warrens, explore magnificent Cathedrals, creepy Graveyards and venture deep into the Ominous Woods themselves!

Thankfully even if this is an early heads up, the team behind the game have also shared with the community that they aim to make The Wild Wood the best modern game ever produced for the C64. Containing graphics of a level not seen before on your humble commie and a fully immersive soundtrack, all smoothly put together by our top team of coders featuring huge multi-directional platform levels, fast paced horizontally scrolling sections, big bosses and much more!

It will be squeezed into every byte of a 500k cart and be accompanied by beautiful artwork and superior quality presentation. Production time is currently predicted at 12 months, but things are coming together rapidly!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Most of the titles in the video were released in one form or another, so it's not that big of a loss.

From the first video only Monster Museum looks interesting to me, it's clearly using the same game engine as Barbarian II (which was released by the same developer).

Luzur

Good Sir
56382094_383897785767235_23144182893772800_n.jpg

So, the next fun part of the pre-production run for the MEGA65 computers has arrived - the name plates! We thought a lot about how we would like these to look, and are generally quite happy with the result. We hope that you will all like them, too.

These are not stickers, but are 0.5mm thick aluminium plates, with nice rounded corners, and 3M adhesive to hold them in place. Thee writing on the top is actually raised up as well, as we really wanted something that is simply a delight to behold. We were very pleased that they fit perfectly in the slots on the SLA 3D printed cases we produced a while back, and look very much forward to fit-testing them on the new pre-production cases when those arrive
1f642.png
:)
https://c65gs.blogspot.com/2019/03/name-plates-for-mega65-pre-production.html

Luzur

Good Sir
The Age of Heroes - A stunning C64 game by Organism creators AVAILABLE NOW (Digital Download)

Great news has just hit our inbox as we've been told by Trevor Storey that the eye opening C64 game of ' The Age of Heroes ', which looks like a high quality Rastan style of game, is not only available for pre-order but the game is now available for digital download! Yes indeed this fantastic looking game of which we have featured before, is now ready to be enjoyed with development by Achim Volkers, music and sfx by Saul Cross and art and design by Trevor Storey.

If however you can't wait and want to download the game RIGHT NOW, then you'll be futher excited to hear the game features epic boss battles, 15 lands to fight through, have atmospheric soundtracks, include a bonus music demo, and finally all of this as a stunning presentation created in some way by Achim Volkers, Trevor 'Smila' Storey, Sal Cross and Jason 'Kenz' Mackenzie through Psytronik Software.

UPDATE : Hayesmaker64 has done the first live stream and can be viewed (HERE)

Links :1) Digital Download 2) Pre-Order

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/03/the-age-of-heroes-stunning-c64-game-by_31.html

Luzur

Good Sir
AlarCity - Upcoming Amiga game from PixelGlass gets beefed up!

The Amiga has certainly had its fair share of news over the last couple of months, what with the CD32 Beer edition, Amiga Power: The Album With Attitude, Bridge Strike, AlarCity Dungeon Prototype and Blask gracing our Amiga screens. But now it looks as if AlarCity is back in the news, as unlike the prototype we mentioned not long ago, Tsak has posted a big update which goes into some detail about the overhaul to this upcoming game.

Although a far more detailed description can be found on the EAB forums, Tsak has basically said that AlarCity is no longer the action game we remember from the AlarTV prototype nor the demo's released some time ago, but the game has become more of an RPG with dialogue, interactions, npcs and in-game cutscenes. The reason behind this it seems, is because of feedback related to the character and the change over to the bulky character designed by talented pixel artist Koyott, it didn't really fit the fast paced mechanics of the earlier versions.

But not to feel too disheartend for those who prefered the original version, as the complete Alarcity engine had been reworked into a faster, better and more featured version, a new pixel artist has joined the ranks, and finally while they plan to maintain some form of the fast paced action, the new hero isn't gonna be as super agile as old Zoidy was. As in Tsak's words " likely to recieve new abilities like fast dashing and deadly melee attacks which will compensate for the lack of normal moving speed. In regards to the shoot'em'up part, the weapons(spells), god powers, elements and upgrading has also been reworked and refined to make better sense within the new context and story".

And that's just a small snippet to Tsak's detailed post on the EAB forums, so for further info head on over there and check out the latest update ( LINKED HERE )

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Part 2 released. Again, most of the titles are grasping at straws for being "cancelled", eventually seeing some form of release, or never even being cancelled in the first place.

The biggest surprise for me was Devious Designs... how come I've never heard about this game? It has an awesome premise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom