Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Amnesia: Rebirth - sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent set in the desert of Algeria

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Venser, Dec 26, 2019.

1. some funny shit Scholar

some funny shit
    LOL WTF IS GOIN ON

[​IMG]

Game is cancelled, Frictional Games decided to commit mass suicide looking at Phamosamaspahobia sales.

^ Top  
  2. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Firstly, is this game a good pants-shitting simulator like Penumbra and the first Amnesia, or just shit like their last 2 games, Pig Amnesia and Soma?

Second, lol wtf is Phamasomasomamasomophobia? Is that some new insult communists came up with for people who disagree with them?

• Shit Shit x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. some funny shit Scholar

some funny shit
    Phamasomasomamasomophobia is game made in Unity by few 12yo, that is selling much better than all Frictional Games combined x100.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    jesus christ, that .exe fuckup was hilarious. at least they fixed it within an hour or so. i missed most of the drama because i was gone until 30 minutes had passed after its gold release

it means you're scared of ghosts

ghost = phantasm

phobia = fear of something

^ Top  
  5. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    I ain't fraid of no ghost

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I was hesitant to get this, but since I'm critically out of stuff to play, I figured I might as well take the plunge.

Haha, game doesn't start.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/999220/discussions/0/4227150602817141225/

honkity fucking honk

urge to refund rising

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    MISSING exe?

:lol:

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    the most horrifying things in the horror genre aren't what's in front of your face, but what is hidden or cannot be seen. the missing exe is a reflection of this.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    that's some very meta analysis

^ Top  
  10. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    oh no no no no Frictional bros we got too cocky...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Did my part to support Frictional. Prettty sure the youtubers, especially as Halloweens draws closer, will keep sales healthy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Spukrian Novice

Spukrian
    When I first started playing and looked down I thought the walking looked funny... then I figured it out.

It does seem like Frictional has been playing STASIS and Cayne and taking notes.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    why are VHEMT types having a meltdown at rebirth. they must be insanely bored

• sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Russia es #1, but Amnesiba is bretty gud too.
    Anyway, can someone explain me the plot? Whats up with the space ship? Who is the empresess and how is she connected with the first game?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. FEDSMOKER hellbound and dumb as fuck Patron

FEDSMOKER
    witch hunt is a very impressive one-person project, but it doesn't look as good as rebirth lol

^ Top  
  16. some funny shit Scholar

some funny shit
    77% positive reviews and dropping

Meanwhiel Photomadphobia has 97% positive reviews and is outselling new Amnesia

RIP:hero:

Could it be case of got woke go broke? It will need some Darth Roxor to analyse this.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • coof coof x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    Fun with frens games will usually outsell single player games given the imbecilic bandwagon and stream coverage. Especially now in covid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    Like people who play this shit have real friends.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    People are savaging this game on Steam.

[​IMG]

It seems the loss of SOMA's and The Dark Descent's writer hurt Frictional more than I hoped it would. Should probably play the game myself before I jump too fast to any conclusions, though.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I've just played this for two hours, and so far I can confirm everything in that post. This game is flashback galore, and the protagonist just won't shut up. Also, in those two hours I haven't seen a single munster or otherwise been in a life-threatening situation whatsoever.

Edit: Actually, I've got 1.8 hours clocked now, and I'm seriously considering refunding while I still can...

• Despair x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Great. So my "shit" post was 100% accurate as usual.

It's not pants-shitting scary like Penumbra or Amnesia, it's more wannabe scary but also have a story like Pig Amnesia and SCUBA SOMA.

^ Top  
  22. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I thought SOMA was great. It had an excellent start/story hook and very good writung at the very least.

This game otoh is about an amnesiac woman who keeps talking to herself all the time as she experiences flashbacks every minute after picking up every stupid prop she finds while randomly teleporting between places and using noclip by means of an unobtanium bracelet.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    SCUBA isn't that bad, it's just a massive departure from the previous games (subvert muh expectations lol). Too many jumpscares you can see coming, combined with too much hand-holding and no inventory. No existential threats worrying about if this is going to be your last match, what if another deathbat or deathdog shows up etc also:

Show Spoiler
    It's obvious from right after the intro you're a robot

It's just bad when you compare it to previous games from Frictional.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    I just fell down some wooden board and saw some monster thing. Apart from the constant story shit and talking with yourself what annoys me the most is that you need matches. there are a few torches here and there but you of course cant take them. You just walk and walk and walk in more or less the same direction and listen to the story. If that doesnt change its absolute youtube fodder

^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Poasted a scathing revio on steam. Now I can refund in peace.

[​IMG]

revio (open)
    For the record, I liked all the other Frictional games to date. Rebirth, however, is not a Frictional game. It's a walking simulator, and a bad one at that.

To start with gameplay matters, after nearly 2 hours of playing I did not encounter a single monster or was put in an otherwise life-threatening situation. This is unacceptable in a game that tries to present itself as a horror game. Furthermore, during these 2 hours I can't say I've gone through any "exploration" - the path ahead was more or less straight and with no "openness" whatsoever (nope, big areas full of nothing except the one specific place you're supposed to go to do not count, and boy there's a bunch of those for sure), and the only things to find were mildly related notes full of exposition, stacked under boxes and vases.

Meanwhile the story and its presentation... Obviously I can't speak much about the story itself after two hours, but at least the basic premise and hook didn't feel interesting to me. "Uninteresting" is the least of its problems, though, because the presentation and the mystery-building, something that Frictional have always been very good at, are dreadful.

For starters, the protagonist just won't shut up about every single damn thing she stumbles upon. She will comment and quip and talk and whine about e v e r y t h i n g, which not only becomes tiresome very quickly, but also kills immersion, and I would also dare say shows that the player is treated as an idiot who wouldn't understand what's before him unless it's explained explicitly.

Then there are the flashbacks. Rather than "Rebirth" this should be called "Retrospection" because the protagonist remembers something every 5 minutes, which makes the game slooooow doooooown while people you are apparently supposed to care about talk on and on and on in your head.

I also generally didn't like the way progress through the world was portrayed, because apart from "Retrospection", another subtitle for this game could be "Repositioning", by which I mean that the protagonist keeps teleporting between random places for unexplained reasons, while you're left scratching your head as to what's going on. There isn't an intriguing mystery that you want to delve into in here either, it's a plot device that conveniently closes the way behind you.

Needless to say, I refunded this, since if the first two hours are that bad (compare this to the downright excellent start of SOMA), I really don't wanna see what comes later. What a disappointment.

Yes! Just as you are about to enter the first ~dark corridor~, there's a cresset right next to it. It struck me as patently retarded that you couldn't take it with you.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.