Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amnesia: The Bunker - first-person horror in desolate WW1 bunker

What exactly does "recalibrating the horror genre" mean?

Do you mean being responsible (intentionally or not) for the utter decline of the vast majority of horror games into lowest common denominator, shitty jumpscare streambait with near-zero gameplay for alt-tabbed mongoloids?

Dr1f7

Scholar
Do you mean being responsible (intentionally or not) for the utter decline of the vast majority of horror games into lowest common denominator, shitty jumpscare streambait with near-zero gameplay for alt-tabbed mongoloids?
yeah that's what i mean

Wunderbar

Arcane

looks like they are going for a series of short teasers, drip-feeding the news to stay in the spotlight for longer.

Akin to Resident Evil 7 marketing campaign where Capcom was showing little snippets of things to come (30-sec video of inventory management, 30-sec video of combat, etc).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Throwing a grenade to smash a wooden door open while standing 5 steps away like it ain't no thing triggers me immensely, and the sparks bouncing off the corridor only add to this. Based on that and the very similar barrel explosion clip is enough to convince me that this game will be completely stupid.

ds.

Novice
These teasers so far all look super generic. Hopefully it's just shitty marketing and there is actually something interesting about the game but so far this feels more like streamer-bait filler to keep the studio running than a proper Frictional game. Then again, I never cared too much for the horror part of their games in the first place (except for the atmosphere).

Wunderbar

Arcane
They could've at least bothered to hide in a cover before grenade goes off.

looks pretty meh, after TDD theyve released a string of stinkers and the desert one was pure shart. the use a gun for everything gimmick is already old and the game is far from coming out

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
what upsets me is that this is a very good premise, but based on these stupid clips as well as Rebirth, they are gonna fuck it up for sure

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Problem is that this is going to be the first game they're making that will feature actual gameplay.

Both Amnesia and SOMA had, at best, a few simplistic physic-based puzzles and barebones stealth mechanics. And now they're trying to make what seems to be an im sim, which is a notoriously difficult genre to get right, even when being worked on by industry veterans with years of experience making such games.

Frictional Games have always been a developer focused on the narrative aspect, and while their games did feature prominent use of physics, this never actually led to emergent gameplay. As others have said, what they've shown so far is basic and has been a staple of im sims for years, and the issue of woke narrative getting shoehorned into the game is also a threat.

Their latest Amnesia game featured a white female protagonist in the 1930s being married to an Arab man.

Victor1234

Educated
Throwing a grenade to smash a wooden door open while standing 5 steps away like it ain't no thing triggers me immensely, and the sparks bouncing off the corridor only add to this. Based on that and the very similar barrel explosion clip is enough to convince me that this game will be completely stupid.
Yes! It's even worse because we know what these bunkers are supposed to look like. IIRC Verdun (multiplayer FPS) got it pretty right.

aq0udnq.jpg

There was a French WW1 film from 1932 called Les Crois de Boix that was partly set in a bunker. All the dudes are in there for hours and hear digging just outside. The Germans always dig up to a bunker, put a big bomb and boom. They want to leave but have orders to stay inside and it's pure psychological terror wondering when it'll blow. After some hours they get orders to leave and another group goes in. As they walk away in the trench lines, the Germans set it off and the whole bunker gets buried, everyone inside dying or suffocating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom