Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

An Arcanum mod that cuts out the uninspired combat parts?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Spooky Skellington, Dec 10, 2011.

1. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    Yeah, if anything the dungeons ought to have been longer and harder, especially the rather smallish Vendigroth.

^ Top  
  2. UserNamer Cipher

UserNamer
    I actually replayed the game recently, using a master of throwing (grenades mostly) and backstabbing with high charisma

I found the fights at the start of the game actually engaging, world travelling could be lethal if I didn't equip some stun grenades to use against the strongest creatures, I even had to use smoke bombs in a dungeon to defend myself against chain-gun firing skeleton archer (to lower their to hit chance)

but eventually I got the dog (who destroys the challenge at the beginning of the game, if you are having black mountain clan problems I feel bad for you son, I have 99 followers and a dog is one) and then I got to 20 dex with mastery in backstabbing, an high charisma with too many followers, and combat became 100% pointless... no need to use tactics or fear for my life thanks to healing characters and good armor... plus I just reached the vendigroth wastes at that point and then I quit...

Maybe arcanum isn't overly long, but I don't see the point of having such big games. I think the game could be better if it was shrank a bit and had some more challenging encounters designed into it

^ Top  
  3. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar
    Thanks CK. Any idea if it's compatible with Drog's patch?

I found the Nosferatu Sewers far worse than the Black Mountain Mines.

It's a shame that combat quite quickly became broken and a chore, as the early optional fight with Lucas and his Half-Ogre highwaymen was a lot of fun and pretty damn tough (especially if you couldn't get Sogg to join you).

I also remember the Boiler raping you pretty hard if you tried to waltz in there at the low level your probably at entering Tarant. But sadly that and Stringy Pete are the only fights that ever really push you.

^ Top  
  4. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Either that or you break it easily and kill everything with zero effort so the dungeons are nothing but a brainless timesink you have to endure to get to the parts that are actually interesting. If there's a "this is just right" combat build for Arcanum I've never played it. It's either frustrating or boring, take your pick.

^ Top  
  5. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Because fun in Arcanum is based mostly on social interaction - dungeons are simply a bit out of place there, especially that they forgot to add a good combat system and good encounters.

^ Top  
  6. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Harder yes, but not longer.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    You can't deny that they were repetitive as hell. Some of these dungeons were nothing more than corridors in which you had to fight the same monsters over and over again.

Using Invisibility to avoid countless boring fights is one of the greatest pleasures available in Arcanum.

^ Top  
  8. Skittles He ruins the fun.

Skittles
    Agreed. Though in my opinion the 'right build' is a consummate tech user in one of the game's hand placed, challenging but not interminable fights. A hard game should kill you, not make you click on 800 wolves.

^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    It...should be. I guess it will just overwrite any changes made by Drog. I used it once and the game didn't explode, at least.

By the way, I love how this guy got so butthurt about not being able to do shit about the conspiracy that he uninstalled the game.

Teenager power fantasies - 0

Trollcanum - 1

edit: haha, another one

^ Top  
  10. Elwro Arcane

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    About this "car" idea: are you referencing the famous Car Arcanum mod by the sadly departed Chris Beddoes?

^ Top  
  11. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    ^ Top  
  12. Lord Chambers Erudite

Lord Chambers
    Can someone explain why this is hilarious? Seems like a reference to Carcanum which I'm not aware has a large following here.

^ Top  
  13. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    Can someone explain why this is hilarious? I'm looking for an explanation of why this is hilarious. If anyone knows why this is hilarious, please let me know, because I'm looking for an explanation of why this is hilarious.

^ Top  
  14. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    lol

^ Top  
  15. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    Come on man. I'll show you a stress-test for your anus. Here's what it came down to

HARM
    CLICK ON HARM MAN USE THE SPELL
    OH SHEET A GOLEM USE HARM ASSHOLE
    HARM I SAID USE HARM NOT FAIRY PINK LIGHTS OF DYING AND RELOAD
    I HAVE THIS GREAT BUILD IDEA RIGHT HERE IT INCLUDES HARM
    SHIT WHAT'S GOING ON DID YOU PUT A POINT IN HARM
    HOHOHO A TECHNOLOGICAL CHARACTER EH SO YOU DON'T ENJOY WINNING
    WELL START AGAIN AND USE HARM

Yeah this is great

^ Top  
  16. baronjohn Cipher

baronjohn
    The sooner you admit that you're too stupid to play Arcanum, the better.

^ Top  
  17. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Melee tech people can craft a pyrotechnic axe and not have to worry about breaking it against the golems. Charismatic people can get the strongest companions, give them all trash weapons, then order them all to attack with F2 (though I preferred to keep Virgil out of it so I had to stick with turn-based mode to issue attack orders to everyone except him). That's like two more builds right there.

^ Top  
  18. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    Just yesterday, I discovered a new kind of uninspired combat in Arcanum. It's called : "shifting your alignment to evil so you can join the dark elves".

At the time, my alignment meter was a bit above +50. Thinking that murdering a few innocents would be more than enough to make me evil, I started killing everyone in Stillwater, knowing that I'd be asked to do so anyway.

And then I discovered that attacking and killing a random innocent person would only shift my alignment toward evil by a single point. Killing some people - such as guards - wouldn't even do that.

Suffice to say that Stillwater really didn't have enough inhabitants for my purpose. I had to move to Tarant and murder most of the population before my alignment meter finally reached -1. Good thing I'd previously lost some alignment points by siding against Bates or who knows how many more cities I'd have had to destroy ?

^ Top  
  19. okashii Novice

okashii
    You could have bought a Dark Helm from any wise woman for a -20 alignment.

^ Top  
  20. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    Every cast of Raise Spirit from Necromancy shifts you to Evil too.

^ Top  
  21. Erebus Arcane

Erebus
    I'm sure there are quicker ways of becoming evil, but you'd think that murdering everyone in sight wouldn't turn out to be the slowest method to achieve that...

^ Top  
  22. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    This thread elicits, in me, a single tear of sadness.

Why are those big meanies mean to Arcanum?
    If it wasn't for my stupid digestive system I'd eat copies of Arcanum daily, instead of sliced bread.

^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    That's because Arcanum is not MAJESTIC. In Skyrim I became Arch-Mage of the Mages College at Lv 8, just by doing 2-3 quests. And I'm not even a mage.

^ Top  
  24. Skittles He ruins the fun.

Skittles
    Yeah, and in Arcanum I can make people explode with my mind at level 8, without being arch-mage of shit.

^ Top  
  25. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    But can you became a werewolf? A vampire? The leader of every single organization in the game at the same time? Buy a house & get married? Of course not, only Bethesda can create unique games filled with C&C.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.