Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another thread about Daggerfall

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
denizsi said:
You met Lady Brisienna? Then yes.

Some useless skills in there. You probably took climbing, jumping and swimming for LARPing purposes, ie. things you think a "Paladin" should be well versed in.

Pretty much. I figured that's the best approach for this game. For the record, this character qualifies for the mages guild.

Raapys

Arcane
Sadly I don't think anyone ever managed that. There's just the view distance slider.

You playing in mouse-based view mode btw? It's highly superior to the default mode. Makes it play p.much like an fps, while allowing you to toggle the cursor on with the press of a button.

denizsi

Arcane
You can edit the ini/config file to up the view distance. Google it. I have forgotten. You can alter view distance by modifying savetree.dat with a hex editor. Take a look in here:

http://www.uesp.net/dagger/daghack.shtml#moreview

I can't recall what setting I was using. Experiment for yourself.

What bugs exactly are you experiencing, exactly? The game has been pretty fucking stable after v213. More stable than any other Bethesda game to this day. I don't know about how it works in DosBox though. I play it either in my P3 system or in a virtual W98SE in VMWare.

By the way, you can "climb" ladders by activating the ladder. I "discovered" this by acciden in 1998. Until then, I had no idea, I have somehow missed the hint in the manual and always manually climbed and cursed the developers for being lazy about it. I felt like the biggest moron then.

denizsi said:
You can edit the ini/config file to up the view distance. Google it. I have forgotten. You can alter view distance by modifying savetree.dat with a hex editor. Take a look in here:

http://www.uesp.net/dagger/daghack.shtml#moreview

I can't recall what setting I was using. Experiment for yourself.

One of the utilities in the compilation I linked to earlier has a utility that does this for all of your save games.

denizsi said:
What bugs exactly are you experiencing, exactly? The game has been pretty fucking stable after v213. More stable than any other Bethesda game to this day. I don't know about how it works in DosBox though.
Works flawlessly in DosBox for me. I keep it on my flash drive and play it on and off in between classes when I'm at school. At max I might have one crash every few hours, nothing huge.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
denizsi said:
What bugs exactly are you experiencing, exactly?

Crashes, sounds distortions, a few corrupted saves and often times i can complete quests without actually doing them. The worst bug of all is the void though. Every single dungeon i go to i fall in it at least once. Nothing unmanageable but i got into the habit of saving constantly, and backup up my save files as well.

BTW, what happens if you fail a quest? I've been stuck in this torturous dungeon for the past three hours. I'm supposed to be able to do the quest in 12 days but there's no way i can finish it up in time now, particularly after losing a couple of days to travel to a temple curing the plague, which came on suddenly, without warning. This one is for the mage guild, which for some reason seem to be pretty pissed off at me (some of the members occasionally won't even talk to me, though i can still access their services).

Failing a quest just means you lose reputation.

If they don't like you your reputation is already probably fairly low. A crap load of things can affect it, every quest affects nearly every faction in some subtle way. Just keep playing.

Ruprekt

Scholar
In Dosbox don't set the CPU emulation to dynamic core (or auto); pick "normal".

It messes up swimming up and down (also climbing) which you will need to use at points.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Overweight Manatee said:
Failing a quest just means you lose reputation.

If they don't like you your reputation is already probably fairly low. A crap load of things can affect it, every quest affects nearly every faction in some subtle way. Just keep playing.

I got kicked out of the guilt. Nice. Thing is i already did a couple of quests successfully for them, i can't believe i'd lose THAT much reputation. Any way i can get back in (including, i suppose, cheats)?

[EDIT] Wait, i'm actually still in the guild, i just can't get quest from the guy. I'm going to attempt to find another guild somewhere and see if i can get some reputation back. Nobody from the guilt wants to talk to me.

Sounds like you may just have pissed off that specific guild section somehow. I'm not entirely sure how reputation works in the game. Were you caught stealing in the city or something that would cause the people as a whole in the area to hate you? Otherwise if you haven't done any large amount of quests for other factions the only thing I can imagine is that you lost some reputation from your selections during character creation.

If you do get kicked out you can still get quests from the guild if you aren't a member, and your reputation should shift naturally back to neutral over an (extended) time.

EDIT: Were you poking around the library? IIRC that's supposed to be a perk of higher level members, They may not like a low ranked member reading the books there. Just speculation though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Overweight Manatee said:
EDIT: Were you poking around the library? IIRC that's supposed to be a perk of higher level members, They may not like a low ranked member reading the books there. Just speculation though.

Hah, could be it. I just browsed around, didn't know it was forbidden. The annoying thing is that now i have two logs about quests i cannot complete (i did the same mistake in another town). There has to be a way i can raise the reputation for a guild in a specific down. It would really suck if something like this would happen in a major city, like Daggerfall.

denizsi

Arcane
It isn't the library. Just keep doing quests. Try other MGs in other cities. Also try making a donation (1000+ gp).

Lyric Suite said:
BTW, what happens if you fail a quest? I've been stuck in this torturous dungeon for the past three hours. I'm supposed to be able to do the quest in 12 days but there's no way i can finish it up in time now, particularly after losing a couple of days to travel to a temple curing the plague, which came on suddenly, without warning. This one is for the mage guild, which for some reason seem to be pretty pissed off at me (some of the members occasionally won't even talk to me, though i can still access their services).

When was the last time any game had you spend that much time in a single dungeon? :tears of joy:

Alex said:
Don't the Religious guilds (or at least a few of them) also give you access to alchemy? I might be misremembering this, but I swear I saw this in playthroughs where I never joined the thieves.

Oh right, I've forgotten about that too.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Crashes, sounds distortions, a few corrupted saves

As mentioned above, do NOT set the CPU to dynamic or core; just set it to max. This WILL fix it. Otherwise 10% of the time you save will crash AND corrupt the save.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Strange, I'd say DG is pretty noob-friendly. Just wave your cursor furiously and you might even exit the first dungeon :D

Luzur

Good Sir
Lyric Suite said:
Alex said:
Also, are the language skills really useful? They never seemed to do anything for me, so I just assumed they weren't correctly implemented. Can they be used?

All they do is make enemies neutral if you approach them with your weapons sheathed. This means that if done right you can totally avoid combat in this game. Sadly, you can't talk to them.

this will be modded in DaggerXL.

By the way, you can "climb" ladders by activating the ladder. I "discovered" this by acciden in 1998. Until then, I had no idea, I have somehow missed the hint in the manual and always manually climbed and cursed the developers for being lazy about it. I felt like the biggest moron then.

i discovered this very early.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
denizsi said:
When was the last time any game had you spend that much time in a single dungeon? :tears of joy:

I know. And they are amazingly fun, even the procedural ones. Didn't really expect this game to be so addicting. I thought it was going to be as boring and lifeless as the later Elder Scrolls, with perhaps a better skill system and main story line. Instead, its a completely different experience. The world actually feels much more alive, even though it is actually even more lifeless. The atmosphere, the music, everything fits in a solid medieval/fantasy environment, which allows you to fill in a lot of gaps using your imagination. In truth, the game is nothing more then a dungeon crawler (and a good one at that) with a huge, atmospheric world. There is very little LARPing in the sense there was in Morrowind however because the world is just a launching platform to get involved in some form of action, with regular fed ex style quests (meaning quests that have you running around) being something of a buffer between dungeon runs, which is really the heart of the game. Really, this IS a medieval/RPG version of Elite. I expect to keep this game in my hard drive for a long time.

I hope Daggerfall XL is going to be released soon. I'd be curious to see what modders can add to the original formula.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
denizsi said:
It isn't the library. Just keep doing quests. Try other MGs in other cities. Also try making a donation (1000+ gp).

Yeah, the whole situation just resolved itself and i've now been promoted into the guild. The guy from Gothway Garden is still pissed off at me, says he is really disappointed that i was not able to find any use for BLANK. Another bug i guess. The log entry for the quest is still there though. BTW, is there a way to erase dialog notes?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ruprekt said:
In Dosbox don't set the CPU emulation to dynamic core (or auto); pick "normal".

It messes up swimming up and down (also climbing) which you will need to use at points.

Nice, it actually worked. :thumbsup:

One thing though, is there anything to do with money? Besides buying my horse and cart and plus assorted services and expenses i haven't found anything to spend gold on. Stores very rarely seem to carry anything good and buying a house seems to be the only prospect for me as far as the accumulation of gold goes.

The only thing that pisses me off about this game is the inclusion of Katanas, and the fact they do more damage then any other weapon. I've made a point not to use any of them.

Raapys

Arcane
You can buy a ship too!

Playing dress-up is p.cool in the game, since there's tons of combinations and you can combine it with armor. Doesn't exactly cost much though. What does cost is spells and enchanting items.

Lyric Suite said:
One thing though, is there anything to do with money? Besides buying my horse and cart and plus assorted services and expenses i haven't found anything to spend gold on. Stores very rarely seem to carry anything good and buying a house seems to be the only prospect for me as far as the accumulation of gold goes.

The item quality changes from shop to shop. You can tell how good the shop is from the text description you get when you enter one. Bad shops will pretty much always have crap. Good stores get better weapons, but it is scaled to your level so if you are still at low level you might not have a high chance for great stuff to be available.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bad shops are also cheaper when they have the same stuff as a more expensive one.

Shopping around in DF is usually a good idea. Don't fall in love with just one shop. Oh and sell items individually to increase Mercantile.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's nice that you have to leave an item in a shop to get it repaired. Sorry, mr Paladin, you'll have to do without your favourite weapon for a few days if it is to be sharp again.

DraQ

Arcane
If only they didn't discard half of what was cool in Daggerfall in Morrowind. I consider MW slightly better game, but imagine it having banking, leaving stuff for repairs, scale, seasons, climbing, trials, advantages&disadvantages, complex enchantment system and so on.
:bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom