Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anthony Davis leaving Obsidian

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Xi said:
I think many of us would kill for an Obsidian, Skyrim expansion. New Vegas was a far superior product to FO3, IMHO.

I'd actually buy that. While the engine is still crap, the Stoyfag in me would be happy.

Seriously, Bethesda should just hire Obsidian for any story/writing projects for their games.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
As for reading the Codex, it is a lot for the laughs, and some for the grains of truth/well argued points. Personally, I find most of the good and interesting points to be in the LP threads. I know a LOT of game developers read LP threads and you guys have some good ones.

I wonder how many Obsidianities have read through the Sengoku Rance LP thread.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
"Thanks for clearing this, maybe Volourn will shut his mouth now. Oh wait, we are talking about Volly here, who doesn't believe to anyone, not even a developer, or a publisher. If the Square head honcho himself would say that the game was a success, Volly would still find it a lie anyway."

Stop your whining fanboy. Get the SS chieft to post here and getb him to post their total pure profit for the game then let's comapred it to DS1 and DS2.

Mr. Davis himself said he doens't know any fatcual numbers other than how much Obsidian got paid for it. This means he doesn't know the advertsiing numbers, how much SS paid their own employees to help work on (Playtesting project manager and the like) the game, the cut themanufacture gets and the shipper as well. Not to mention the actual stores'. That 820k moolah can go by quickly dude.

Don't be ignorant and read up on that shit.

P.S. Considiering the Codex lives off of calling dev sna dpubluishers the devil and liars it's hialrious that I'm the one called on it. But, hey fanbis will be fanbois.

P.S. Nor am I even claling Mr. Davis a liar so you are cyring for nothing little boy.
That's what I'm talking about. Even though Anthony told you that DS3 was a success, and Square saw several million dollar profit after the sales, you come here and say: well success is not a success really, and there are different type of successes, there are big success, and small success, and the small success is not a success really. I might be a fanboy, but at least I'm not twisting the words just to prove that what I say is the one and only truth. Here is a dev who knows more about this stuff than you do, yet you say that he is actually wrong, and you are right afterall. I'm not crying about Obsidian, I'm crying over you trying to proove that you are oh so knowledgeable.

Xi

Arcane
Volourn said:
An Obsidian Skyrim epxansion would be a dumb diea alla round. Not because it would suck or it wouldn't sell but if Betehsda gonna hire Obsidian for anothe rgame it should be their own. Either a sequel to FO:NV or some other game. Or even a squel to the ES series but a measily expansion? Waste of tiem and effort.

Not even. Using the same tools, and skipping all the technological developments (for the most part), makes it far cheaper, and allows the team to focus more on the content (read: the game) than other aspects (for the most part). Not to mention, you get an entirely different (fresh) take on the same lore. IMHO, New Vegas was huge incline using the same design limitations. That says something in and of itself. (IMHO)

An entirely new IP incurs risk. Using pre-made assets, to create an expansion (practically a stand alone game - see New Vegas), is far more feasible. Given Skyrim's sales, an Obsidian expansion would sell like hotcakes, while freeing up BGS to work on other projects (FO4).

$$$
:smug:
<>

Edit: Not to mention Obsidian has used the engine, the toolset, and the gaming mechanics before. This makes it even more appealing an idea.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Hobo Elf said:
What was your role, if you had one, in New Vegas?

I had no official role in New Vegas. I did play test in my own time and provide feedback, other than that, I spend a bit of time talking to Josh about the weapons.

One of the things I enjoyed most about NV was that I could (and did) play through the game without using VATS. I thought the shooting mechanics and the weapon tuning was very well done.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Crooked Bee said:
Anthony Davis said:
As for reading the Codex, it is a lot for the laughs, and some for the grains of truth/well argued points. Personally, I find most of the good and interesting points to be in the LP threads. I know a LOT of game developers read LP threads and you guys have some good ones.

So what kind of LPs do RPG developers prefer, I wonder? Old and obscure RPGs, newer RPGs, non-RPGs? LPs of their own games maybe? Just curious.

I followed your Dark Heart LP, which was awesome. I follow most any of the old RPG ones.

I also greatly enjoyed the Capitalism one, till it died.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Anthony Davis said:
One of the things I enjoyed most about NV was that I could (and did) play through the game without using VATS. I thought the shooting mechanics and the weapon tuning was very well done.
Yes, thank God for that.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
Hobo Elf said:

I had no official role in New Vegas. I did play test in my own time and provide feedback, other than that, I spend a bit of time talking to Josh about the weapons.

Eh, NV did everything better than FO3. Especially the radio. Could've used more songs, but what it had I really loved. Shooting thugs and bandits while Big Iron was playing lead to many :yeah: moments.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Hobo Elf said:
Anthony Davis said:
Hobo Elf said:

Eh, NV did everything better than FO3. Especially the radio. Could've used more songs, but what it had I really loved. Shooting thugs and bandits while Big Iron was playing lead to many :yeah: moments.

I'm pretty sure Josh personally picked all of those songs, and yes, they were all awesome. I too wish we could have had more.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Here is a dev who knows more about this stuff than you do, yet you say that he is actually wrong, and you are right afterall."

Keep crying. It amuses me.

Mr. Davis is kewl you ar enot you suck.

FO:LV being better than FO3 is not impressive since FO3 is one of the worst games ever.

Good thing that FIO:LV stands on its own and is a damn good game. Period.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Xi said:
I think many of us would kill for an Obsidian, Skyrim expansion. New Vegas was a far superior product to FO3, IMHO.

Yes, I would kill to be immersed in that epic engine of awesome and convenient interfaces, excellent map view, great textures...

... OH WAIT :x

Stinger

Arcane
Well at least Volourn isn't going on about how Fallout NV sucks even though he hasn't played it, anymore. And how that is fact.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
"Here is a dev who knows more about this stuff than you do, yet you say that he is actually wrong, and you are right afterall."

Keep crying. It amuses me.

Mr. Davis is kewl you ar enot you suck.
Whatever...

grotsnik

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
the above said:
Wow, so Obsidian didn't get any cut from the sales???

No, that was not part of the contract.

I remember reading about that - it was a bit discomfiting, really. A shame.

Maybe I'm making this up, but weren't some of the less-played NV songs performed by the developers? I feel like I've heard that somewhere.

Stinger

Arcane
One or two of the songs performed by the Rad pack in the Tops were done by the devs I think. Sawyer wrote them.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Darth Roxor said:
Xi said:

Yes, I would kill to be immersed in that epic engine of awesome and convenient interfaces, excellent map view, great textures...

... OH WAIT :x
I first wanted to rage about that, too. But he did say "many", not "all". Considering we already have "many" liking Skrym and "very many" liking Obsidian, the statement is most probably true, so...

Also, what's up with you guys being surprized with OE not getting a cut from NV's success? We knew that for months.

I'd be more interested if the "critical acclaim" paid off for OE and if it's become easier to get decent contracts. Or if publishers are now more inclined to let OE do their thing without interfering too much. (Assuming the apologists are right and the publishers are responsible for most of the shittyness in OE games. And comments like being "proud" of DS3 make me disinclined to believe that.)

Silellak

Cipher
Anthony Davis said:
Crooked Bee said:
Anthony Davis said:

So what kind of LPs do RPG developers prefer, I wonder? Old and obscure RPGs, newer RPGs, non-RPGs? LPs of their own games maybe? Just curious.

I followed your Dark Heart LP, which was awesome. I follow most any of the old RPG ones.

I don't suppose, by any chance, you followed my Ultima 7 SNES LP? :roll:

Also, nice of you to post here. This thread is fantastic...lots of little gems about game design and development. As a developer myself (and someone who tinkered around in NWN1 quite a bit), I especially found the link between IE and Aurora to be very interesting. :salute:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think this is the nicest I've seen the Codex behave in...maybe ever.

Wish I could think of something to ask. We don't get devs posting here every day.

Majestic47

Learned
Anthony Davis said:
Crooked Bee said:
Anthony Davis said:

:love:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anthony Davis said:
Crooked Bee said:
Anthony Davis said:

I followed your Dark Heart LP, which was awesome.

Thanks, Anthony! :P Games like that are very rare, alas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom