Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any and all Newtonian spacesims to fuel my nerdgasms

DraQ

Arcane
Except FE2, FFE and I-War series - I still play the first two once in a while, and haven't been able to get my hands on I-War.

What the fuck newton has to do with space sims? Other than he's rolling in the grave whenever someone makes one?

sah

Liturgist
You could try Terminus, it's pretty nerdy (you only explore the Solar system as far as I remember, the setting is a bit more "serious" and "realistic").

DraQ

Arcane
Vival said:
DraQ said:
How does Frontier make Newton roll in his grave?

There's not a single apple tree to be found in the game.
I must tell someone to mod them in the next JJFFE.

@evochron, firstones, terminus: How accurate (gravity, degree of newtonian simulation, general feel) and big (scale - Frontier gave me a huge nerdgasm that haven't entirely worn off even today) are those?
Also, firstones is B5, right?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah firstones is a site dedicated to fanmade mods/games based on B5 universe. It even has a copy of the official B5: Into The Fire website.

B5 IFH: Danger & Opportunity has only 5 missions (together with 3 tutorial missions you most likely will complete the game in 4-5 hours) - but the design of what the game has to offer is very faithful to the original and voice-acting is on a par with AAA class games (just make sure you will install 1.12 patch (can be found at an announcement forum) - 1.15 is buggy. Dogfights are awesome in this game btw.
The game is based on Homeplanet's engine - another one with newtonian physics - you can try it too - it is fucking hard sometimes btw.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DraQ said:
Does 'fucking hard'==FFE's trademark 'alarm sounds, you die'?

Sounds intriguing.

Only if you are not going at a crazy inertia speed away from missiles - and they will follow you for like 10+ km. 1 missile hits your ship - you die btw. Hard missions are mostly the ones where you have to protect something because it really requires quick reaction and precise movements. Go faster than needed and you will get carried away by inertia (there is no friction in space (c) ) while tangos will continue to rape the unit that requires protection. If only the game had good story and not so typical space sim missions (destroy/protect/etc). The same goes for B5 IFH, though I find it a bit easier due to much more local fights and missions also look better due to intrigue. Also devs did a fine job with hyperspace - it is full of easter eggs, like f.e. if you are keen enough you will have a chance to find Shadows homeworld (with an immediate consequence for that of course) and is much more than just a red flashing fog - navigating it requires an actual skill (you will learn that on a 2nd tutorial mission). It could've been an awesome game if it was much longer and felt more like a finished product than a demo.

sah

Liturgist
DraQ said:
@evochron, firstones, terminus: How accurate (gravity, degree of newtonian simulation, general feel) and big (scale - Frontier gave me a huge nerdgasm that haven't entirely worn off even today) are those?

Well in Terminus there is this alien jumpgate technology that humans use to move around in the Solar system, but other than that ships use conventional engines. So: you can strain the ship's frame if you accelerate or maneuver too violently, and there is a meter that shows you the amount of radiation your engines emit (I never died that way, but overall I didn't get too far). There is a finite supply of oxygen. I don't think you can land on planets, but to me it contributes to the feel in a way. Humans are pioneers even in the Solar system, so naturally their light mercenary ships don't have to be capable of enduring re-entry and escaping a planetary gravitational pull.

As I said the general feel is quite nerdy; there is a shitload of modules that make your ship's frame work, even the life support system is a module of its own (and like all modules can be fried by enemy fire). There are random missions you can take, some are simple patrols and mercenary missions, some require you to spy on someone/something. Other than that there are plot missions you receive on your pager. I've found the game lacking in this department, since I usually need well written content to keep me playing open-ended games.

Data4

Arcane
Well, for pure, bland simulation of getting a vehicle into space and doing orbital maneuvering, docking, and what-have-you, there is Orbiter. You're not a real nerd until you can successfully launch a shuttle into space, dock with the ISS, fire off a satellite, and call it a day.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Been capable of doing that since the days when the msx with a tape recorder was all one needed. Though in those days I mostly enjoyed blowing up my shuttle during takeoff or landing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom