Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any and all Newtonian spacesims to fuel my nerdgasms

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DraQ said:
You're already overcoming the whole d=rt thing
Wat. How exactly?

If you're hopping from star to star in a game, and it's not taking decades off your life each time you move to a new star, you're overcoming the d=rt thing.

I haven't seen even one spacesim where ships use their jump/warp/spacetime embolism/whatever-drives as prime movers in combat (which might actually be quite awesome), and no, it wouldn't produce "ships are WW1 fighters, teehee!" effect.

If you're advanced enough to come up with a method of star hopping, you're advanced enough to come up with a way to make your fighter behave in space the way it does in an atmosphere. Then again, I'm not even arguing it should behave like modern planes. I'm saying I don't get why the hell Newtonian physics are hyped as much as they are.

Look at X2. Newtonian physics and a shit control scheme killed what could have been a stellar game(pardon the pun). If you can manipulate space in such a manner that you can effortlessly get from star A to star B, you should also be able to manipulate space to get fighter control closer to what you want it to be like.

Tachyon had a nonsensical and non-Newtonian control scheme, and it worked pretty well.

First, of how much inertia are we talking here? Walking around in the park kind of inertia? Speeding down the highway inertia? That's actually quite a lot, already - if a tree or some other obstacle overcomes the inertia of a car traveling at laughable (compared to velocity attained by spaceships and astronomical bodies) speed of 100mph, the car is destroyed, and squishy human passengers are turned into bloody mess. Maybe the inertia of a fighter jet traveling at Mach 2? Still unimpressive compared to astronomical speed? How about the inertia of actually buzzing through the system at tens (or thousands) of km/s?

If you're bending space in order to get from star A to star B, you should also be able to manipulate space in order to reduce inertia. But hey, if you don't want to whip out some Star Trek technobabble in order to explain why flight behaves like it does in your game, thrusters is a good punt.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Why would you want to reduce intertia? Sure, if you want to make a spacegame like xwing or privateer just go ahead and use some fighter like controlls. If you want to make it a bit more like the real thing there are also great examples. Look at Frontier and the I-war games. They're awesome and at least take a shot at simulating what space combat could be like.

In the end it's all a design decision and a matter of taste. That's really al there is to it.

Data4

Arcane
Here's some Newtonian physics. What amazes me is how relatively quiet it is in the cockpit. You can hear them flipping switches and stuff while the engines are roaring. Once they break the sound barrier, which you can see in the exterior shot, everything slowly starts smoothing out. Pretty cool, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwfsFtpA ... re=related

Disconnected

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
If you're advanced enough to come up with a method of star hopping, you're advanced enough to come up with a way to make your fighter behave in space the way it does in an atmosphere.
Not to mention that the usual emissions-based propulsion used in Newtonian sims ignores how such things actually behave (same goes for the kind of weapons commonly used).

Then again, I'm not even arguing it should behave like modern planes. I'm saying I don't get why the hell Newtonian physics are hyped as much as they are.
Because they're both fun and despite being only loosely based on reality, manage to convey a sense of actually being in space.

- As previously pointed out, it's not like dogfights in space would ever happen to begin with. Stuff like asteroid-/moon- based propulsion & observation facilities would spot, plot and destroy such craft anywhere within half the distance of the heliosphere (and upwards). Or somehow failing that, at the very least push them out of the system.

I never played X2, but if it's anything like X3 the flight mechanics were the least of its problems.

DraQ

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
I haven't seen even one spacesim where ships use their jump/warp/spacetime embolism/whatever-drives as prime movers in combat (which might actually be quite awesome), and no, it wouldn't produce "ships are WW1 fighters, teehee!" effect.

If you're advanced enough to come up with a method of star hopping, you're advanced enough to come up with a way to make your fighter behave in space the way it does in an atmosphere.
If you're advanced enough to come up with a metod of flying faster than sound, you're advanced enough to make your fighter behave like a war horse on the medieval battlefield.
Wait, what?

Look at X2. Newtonian physics and a shit control scheme killed what could have been a stellar game(pardon the pun).
What.

If you're bending space in order to get from star A to star B...
...and are inclined to make the space feel like non-space, you make your spaceships indulge in crazy and awesome things in combat like warping around at mental pace, surfing spatial embolisms to move faster, crush the enemy vessels with localized gravity fields, inject antimatter into their shield bubbles through DIY wormholes and generally make some major strides into the realm of pure awesome, while smashing occasional planet or two, because it got caught into crossfire.
Under no circumstances you should make your super duper awesomely advanced fighters mimic the aerodynamic limitations of fighter planes, only to give them ultimate combat advantage of not being able to fly backwards/sideways.

Fighter planes don't bank when turning because it's cool. They do it, because they have shitty propulsion systems, rarely capable of propelling them with force greater than their weight, and have to rely on aerodynamic forces when manoeuvring. I recently mentioned anachronism inherent in even most realistic combat spacesims. I think, that, to future generations, they'll appear steampunkish, featuring clumsy machines with outdated look and technology incapable to yield such performance, doing cool things in a completely inefficient and anachronistic ways. It's still millions of times better than arcadeish ones - forget about jetfighters and muskets - stick a jousting lance on SR71 'Blackbird' to catch a glimpse of how ridiculous they will look. I'll rather stick to the Newtonian spacesims, thankyouverymuch.

If someone ever makes a convincing space sim where you'll be flying super advanced craft using spatial embolism propulsion all the time, boil away planets and twist the fabric of space to give enemies a wedgie, I'm sold. Not before.

So far the only available alternative to newtonian model is arcade one, which is neither pretty nor cool enough for me to bother.

Actually, if you're too unimaginative, to get space wedgie combat right, and for some reason can't handle Newtonian, you can still win me over. It's simple. Drop the SF trappings. All of them. Yes you. Now, make an arcadeish flight-sim where I can fly a dragon, of big, scaly kind. One that breathes fire, casts weaponized spells of mass destruction, and eat enemies alive. He can throw in a snarky comment too, once in a while.
There, you've got me.

And leave the space-sims to those who can do them right.

@Data4:
Cool, too bad, that you can't see much through the cockpit windows, though I doubt if you'd be able to catch a glimpse of the Earth even after the shuttle starts to reorient itself in order to get into orbit.

@Disconnected:
Well, there are always various kinds of countermeasures. You can sidestep inert mass launched at you if you detect it in time. You can destroy guided one with your own projectile and sidestep the debris, etc. Such game might still be interesting, if done right.

We also don't know the exact scenario - while large scale battles might look like what you described, the realistic spacesim might very well involve fending off small scale intruders at close ranges as corporate rentacop.

Destroid

Arcane
I reccomend reading Peter F Hamiltons Nights Dawn trilogy for totally awesome space combat depicted in a realistic fashion using almost entirely conventional physics (aside from FTL drives).

There is a series of books that I cannot recall the name of right now that depicts space conflict in a far future technology fashion, it basically boiled down to guessing when your opponent was going to enter real space and then opening a portal for them into the middle of a sun.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Trash said:
Why would you want to reduce intertia?

So when you're going forward at 600MPH, and you turn left, you don't end up continuing forward at roughly 600MPH while you're also going left at 600MPH.

DraQ said:
Actually, if you're too unimaginative, to get space wedgie combat right, and for some reason can't handle Newtonian, you can still win me over.

That's like saying "If you're too unimaginative to make an action CRPG with Diablo-like combat." There's scores of space sims with Newtonian physics, so making another one isn't exactly stepping in to the capitol of imagination land.

In fact, your war horse vs. fighter argument is exactly my point. If you're in a ship that can wrap itself in a space-time bubble and pop itself 50 light years away from it's origin, why the hell do you expect it to fly like the space shuttle?

DraQ

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
DraQ said:
Actually, if you're too unimaginative, to get space wedgie combat right, and for some reason can't handle Newtonian, you can still win me over.

That's like saying "If you're too unimaginative to make an action CRPG with Diablo-like combat."
Reading comprehension error. Abort/Retry/Fail?

There's scores of space sims with Newtonian physics
Somehow I haven't noticed. And, before you ask, no, the X series doesn't qualify.

In fact, your war horse vs. fighter argument is exactly my point.
So, you mean that modern fighter planes should emulate horses, including being limited to maximum speed of a horse, being confined to horizontal plane and making clip-clop sound when moving?

If you're in a ship that can wrap itself in a space-time bubble and pop itself 50 light years away from it's origin, why the hell do you expect it to fly like the space shuttle?
Because, so far, no one even attempted to simulate spatial embolism combat and resulting gardens of bizzare topology (which would be made of pure beyond-awesome, but somewhat inaccessible as well - my conviction here is strengthened by the fact that I'm reading Dukaj's "Perfect Imperfection" and oh god its heavan), so the only current alternatives are Newtonian (well Einsteinian would be even better, but no one attempted that either) and arcade - fighter planes with muskets (at worst) and SR71's with jousting lances (at best), respectively.

Take your pick, I'll go with the less retarded option, it's Newtonian all the way for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom