Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any decent turn based/stat focused space games in the last 20 years?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starcom:unknown space seems to have crew management, unlike its predecessor, starcom nexus.
I liked the first one. It had a fixed storyline, but the exploration and ship design parts were nicely done, and the puzzles were sometimes pretty involved.
It is still in Early Access, though.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...pg-of-space-exploration-and-adventure.144227/

First game was good, but didn't have crew mechanics beside having a number of crewmen (actually, sacrificing crew was usually the best way to solve events).
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/starcom-nexus-top-down-open-world-space-action-rpg.135103/

Both of these games are a bit 2D action-y

Shortest Trip to Earth has slightly more complex crew stats than FTL (actually, it has more complexity overall: you have more modules, and can face up to 3 opponents at once). It is sadly not as good (much more repetitive), but still pretty solid, and different enough to be enjoyable.

Also, borderline not 20 years ago, and I haven't tried it because of Slitherine/Matrix pricing for old games, but Starships Unlimited looks very interesting in concept:
https://www.slitherine.com/game/starships-unlimited-v3

It is a 4X in which you only control a handful of ships (4-6 or so). I'll report when I get my next Slitherine anniversary coupon in 5 months!

Last edited:

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
want to play a sequel to the Buck Rogers games, or at least something in the vein of Star Flight, that was more about your crew and ship stats than how well you could circle strafe.
Star Traders Frontiers: Same as FTL, strongly recommended. Probably the closest to matching the requirements, with a large crew to manage, and turn based combat.
This thread sold me on STF. I've tried it and found it to be rather bland, tbh.
I can't really put my finger on what's specifically wrong with it. Rather the general impression is bland, like from Civ 5-6.
There're many options in chargen, crew management, many goods to trade... But most of those are irrelevant and the many details don't stand out but rather turn into a white noise.

Yes, I can farm for some redshirt's stats, but why should I? Should I lose him, I'll hire another one.
Same goes for the crew in general. I'm not looking at crewmembers with their personal dramas (like in Firefly or you name it). I'm looking at a bunch of paperdolls with assortment of stats and I mix and match a "card deck" out of them. They have no agenda and no independent routes. I can even force them to acquire any traits I like.

Yes, there're space feudal houses. But there're too many of those and they're too similar. Even while I play I struggle with remembering their names and what they do. It's nothing like Dune or Fading Suns where every house has it's distinct image and gimmicks.

I could've continued the same rant about trade and combat but I'm already bored to hell.

And yeah, I've dropped the game after a few hours. Maybe it would've shined later (somehow) but I don't have a patience for it.

tl;dr I found STF to be an overbloated characterless slog. Sad.

Cologno

Educated
want to play a sequel to the Buck Rogers games, or at least something in the vein of Star Flight, that was more about your crew and ship stats than how well you could circle strafe.
Star Traders Frontiers: Same as FTL, strongly recommended. Probably the closest to matching the requirements, with a large crew to manage, and turn based combat.
This thread sold me on STF. I've tried it and found it to be rather bland, tbh.
I can't really put my finger on what's specifically wrong with it. Rather the general impression is bland, like from Civ 5-6.
There're many options in chargen, crew management, many goods to trade... But most of those are irrelevant and the many details don't stand out but rather turn into a white noise.

Yes, I can farm for some redshirt's stats, but why should I? Should I lose him, I'll hire another one.
Same goes for the crew in general. I'm not looking at crewmembers with their personal dramas (like in Firefly or you name it). I'm looking at a bunch of paperdolls with assortment of stats and I mix and match a "card deck" out of them. They have no agenda and no independent routes. I can even force them to acquire any traits I like.

Yes, there're space feudal houses. But there're too many of those and they're too similar. Even while I play I struggle with remembering their names and what they do. It's nothing like Dune or Fading Suns where every house has it's distinct image and gimmicks.

I could've continued the same rant about trade and combat but I'm already bored to hell.

And yeah, I've dropped the game after a few hours. Maybe it would've shined later (somehow) but I don't have a patience for it.

tl;dr I found STF to be an overbloated characterless slog. Sad.
Nah, you gave it an honest push. You don't like it by now its not likely going to get better for you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm just kinda bummed at how few games have both ground combat(on infantry scale, as opposed to mech/whatever) and ship combat. Imagine having to play Galaxy Squad to scratch that itch.

Cologno

Educated
I'm just kinda bummed at how few games have both ground combat(on infantry scale, as opposed to mech/whatever) and ship combat. Imagine having to play Galaxy Squad to scratch that itch.
Man, a guy can dream, if Starsector and Armored Brigade had a kid, I think I'd be in heaven. Stuff like Close Combat, early ones like the Russian front, are my all time favorite genre.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man I'd be happy with the proper equivalent of Firefly. Hell at this point I'll take Xcom 2 in space.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
It was busted as hell with a bug that made it unfinishable but yeah, PE was the goods. Makes you realise that in 33 years we have not had a lot of great scifi rpg. Anyone remember Sundog?

Cael

Arcane
It was busted as hell with a bug that made it unfinishable but yeah, PE was the goods. Makes you realise that in 33 years we have not had a lot of great scifi rpg. Anyone remember Sundog?
I completed the game. What bug are you talking about?

Baron Tahn

Scholar
There was a bug that made it so you couldnt orbit the first planet in each system, back in the day anyway. One of the pieces you needed was on one of them. Long time ago. As I remember there was a easy fix but it caused the game to get some questionable reviews. Dunno if the gog version has it, pretty sure it might have been patched back when they sent out floppies for such things...but could be mixing it up with something else.

Cael

Arcane
There was a bug that made it so you couldnt orbit the first planet in each system, back in the day anyway. One of the pieces you needed was on one of them. Long time ago. As I remember there was a easy fix but it caused the game to get some questionable reviews. Dunno if the gog version has it, pretty sure it might have been patched back when they sent out floppies for such things...but could be mixing it up with something else.
Umm, you can't orbit if you use the mouse controls. But if you press the keyboard shortcut (letter 'O'), the ship will orbit the nearest planet, including the first planet. I didn't even realise it was a bug until much later as I was playing mainly on the keyboard back in those days.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
IIRC it used touchscreen shit heavily for ship loadout (inventory tetris with your ships equipment), I played on an actual DS so I am not sure how annoying it is when emulated, but I fucking hate using the stylus (also old screen is a bit unresponsive at times).
It works pretty well on a New 2DS XL. For the touchscreen responsiveness, were you playing from the cartridge or a "flash cart"? Some of those flash cards, pre-Wood 1.5+ kernel ran things a little slower than they are typically. I have it on an Ace3DS+ flash cartridge and it runs fine. I have the legit cartridge in an ammo box, which is what I do with all the legit cartridges I have. DS cartridges are flash memory, so I never use them.

The main problem I found with Infinite Space is the problem a LOT of Japanese games have. They really, really like their cool animations, which are long. They're cool the first few times you see them, but after a while, they just take too much time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, Stellar Tactis have kind of nice space battles but its main focus is ground battles mostyl.
We have Battlefleet Armada but sadly RTS and mostly abour micro managent.
Star Traders Frontiers is kinda nice with turnbased space battles and ground battles.
But the only thing we got just as you want is the mini game in Rogue Trader, it is basic and lacks variety but foundations are there.
Main problem of Battle fleet gothic armada is lack of decent campaign for all sides. Armada 2 reduced tinkering with ships, thus they feel less unique, and it feels more like grind.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Space Haven: it could fit the bill, but it feels more like a mobile colony sim than a starship game.
This game could be great, but the big problem is that I always run out of resources because I want to build too grand of things. There's something kind of off about the resource balance in the game, it seems, or the structure of the map that makes it less fun than it otherwise could be for those of us that turtle up and build. It probably would be better if, instead of building a starship as your colony, you made a space station and you could also build ships. I'm probably not playing it exactly as the developers intended, but I am playing it the way I find the most fun.

The AI is really good in it, though. You'll probably notice that when you automate a salvage operation, how well your people manage scavenging with their oxygen supplies and shuttle schedule. I was pretty impressed by how well it worked.

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If you mean "space" as in "hard SF" rather than "pilot a spaceship", then Titan Outpost might suit you perfectly.

The sequel, Jovian System, is supposed to focus on flying your cobbled-together space junker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom