Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

welly321

Scholar
I just knew someone would make this braindead argument. Does steam pay developers to incentivize them to only release on steam? No, that is what Epic does. That is the difference and you have to be a complete mouthbreathing idiot to not realize that.
I'd be the last defending Tencent Epic and their ultra shitty store but to be fair, exclusives are probably the only way you can even begin to compete with a juggernaut like Steam. And even then it's probably futile.

Plus nobody gives shit to Sony or M$ for the same thing. I for one am way more pissed that Sony paid FromSoft for Bloodborne being exclusive. Yes they financed the development but the result is still the same. Plus at least Epic exclusives are only for a year while Bloodborne will potentially remain in the PS jail forever.
I understand it from a business perspective, just like I understand microtransactions make tons of money, but we can all agree they are bad for gaming.
Well there's the question whether Steam's monopoly is good for gaming and whether a few dozen exclusives are a good tradeoff to break the monopoly to make gaming better overall.

But considering Epic failed completely to break anything and also Steam is the most benevolent monopolist ever that question is academic.

Unless, of course Gaben keels over on account of being a fat fuck, Steam gets sold to some monstrous transnational and becomes a hellhole. But we're not there yet.
Good points, probably the best argument I've heard in favor of it. The fact that steam could get taken over by a shitty company and turned into a hellhole is a scary but very real possibility. hmmm...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I just knew someone would make this braindead argument. Does steam pay developers to incentivize them to only release on steam? No, that is what Epic does. That is the difference and you have to be a complete mouthbreathing idiot to not realize that.
I'd be the last defending Tencent Epic and their ultra shitty store but to be fair, exclusives are probably the only way you can even begin to compete with a juggernaut like Steam. And even then it's probably futile.

Plus nobody gives shit to Sony or M$ for the same thing. I for one am way more pissed that Sony paid FromSoft for Bloodborne being exclusive. Yes they financed the development but the result is still the same. Plus at least Epic exclusives are only for a year while Bloodborne will potentially remain in the PS jail forever.
I understand it from a business perspective, just like I understand microtransactions make tons of money, but we can all agree they are bad for gaming.
Well there's the question whether Steam's monopoly is good for gaming and whether a few dozen exclusives are a good tradeoff to break the monopoly to make gaming better overall.

But considering Epic failed completely to break anything and also Steam is the most benevolent monopolist ever that question is academic.

Unless, of course Gaben keels over on account of being a fat fuck, Steam gets sold to some monstrous transnational and becomes a hellhole. But we're not there yet.
Good points, probably the best argument I've heard in favor of it. The fact that steam could get taken over by a shitty company and turned into a hellhole is a scary but very real possibility. hmmm...
The day I hear Gaben kicks the bucket (or sells the company off) is the day I'm making backups of everything I own on steam and finding cracks for them. Wouldn't be even slightly surprised if it turned into a subscription service to play the games you already own after he's out of the picture. I'm sure they've got enough money to make that "legal" somehow if they were so inclined.

Ivan

Arcane
Astalon if fucking top tier, don't sleep on it.
Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts on it (and others who hold it in high regard). I tried hard to enjoy it, but I absolutely hated its healing mechanics and the respawn system. I found them to be so poor that they encouraged me to drop my playthrough, I made it to the final boss, but apparently I hadn't grinded enough to unlock some hp bar deleting powers, so I moved on. I thought it was a neat throwback to classic Castlevania, but as I said, the aforementioned design choices were baffling and off-putting.

Ivan

Arcane
I started Death's Gambit. It's decent, but I don't love the melee combat with longsword.
Death's Gambit, Moonscars, and Grime are 3 titles that I know I've played, finished, but I couldn't tell you jack shit about them from memory. Enjoyable to be sure, but largely forgettable. I do know that Death's Gambit saw a "complete version" which I didn't play. So maybe that one got better?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I started Death's Gambit. It's decent, but I don't love the melee combat with longsword.
Death's Gambit, Moonscars, and Grime are 3 titles that I know I've played, finished, but I couldn't tell you jack shit about them from memory. Enjoyable to be sure, but largely forgettable. I do know that Death's Gambit saw a "complete version" which I didn't play. So maybe that one got better?
Grime is in my Top 3 vanias, a genuinelly great one.

Death's Gambit well, I've finished it and delved into the complete edition's extra content but shelved it shortly after. A very acceptable game, nothing less, nothing more. Oh and the Hardcore mode boss fights that came with the complete edition are really fucking hard so if boss fights difficulty is anyone's thing I can recommend.

welly321

Scholar
Astalon if fucking top tier, don't sleep on it.
Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts on it (and others who hold it in high regard). I tried hard to enjoy it, but I absolutely hated its healing mechanics and the respawn system. I found them to be so poor that they encouraged me to drop my playthrough, I made it to the final boss, but apparently I hadn't grinded enough to unlock some hp bar deleting powers, so I moved on. I thought it was a neat throwback to classic Castlevania, but as I said, the aforementioned design choices were baffling and off-putting.
Astalon was amazing. I loved the exploration throughout the tower and the roguelike aspect of deaths sending you back but still unlocking the map. I also really enjoyed switching between characters based on the situation. I found all three characters very distinct each with pros and cons. There are tons of secrets to discover and that is really what carries the game. If you are not big on 2d exploration, i could see how it falls flat.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
My recent playthrough of Blasphemous 2 made me go on a blasphemous rampage and playthrough the original once again, this time with the DLCs i never played, particularly the one that adds the third (now true) ending. The new bosses were particularly challenging (only had a sliver of health left with Isadora), as well as the new phase of the Crisanta fight.

Edit: Forgot about the third form of Escribar in that true end, but that's something of an interactive cutscene like the second form of the Mother Brain fight in Super Metroid.

Last edited:

hajro

Arbiter

The day I hear Gaben kicks the bucket (or sells the company off) is the day I'm making backups of everything I own on steam and finding cracks for them. Wouldn't be even slightly surprised if it turned into a subscription service to play the games you already own after he's out of the picture. I'm sure they've got enough money to make that "legal" somehow if they were so inclined.
EU would megacuck Valve if they did something like this

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
This game looks promising, i never played the original, have any of y'all?

1st
Extremely woke (yep, in a metroidvania) to be rather distracting

This is from a Steam discussion thread to give you an idea how annoying it is

Yes, there's a gay couple, a mtf trans woman, multiple bisexual characters, reference to poly relationships, polygamist marriage. Yes it's there, but it's just part of the setting. The only writing that feels forced is the trans dialogue, it's just poorly written.

Far too easy
Nice graphics

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Solid gameplay but they for some reason hired a third party (that makes Sweet Baby look tame) to do the writing and the end result is all the good guys are weird homosexual mystery meats (and women) that talk about their proclivities in increasingly disturbing detail (and puns) as the game progresses to the extent the only way to persevere and finish the game is to just stop reading the text entirely (probably why I didn't know one of them was a tranny until now). On an unrelated note, the bad guys are all huwhite males for some reason.

You start off enjoying a solid game and then it the rot starts creeping in and you're left staring into the abyss.

I have zero hope for a sequel and the first game is best skipped.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Solid gameplay but they for some reason hired a third party (that makes Sweet Baby look tame) to do the writing and the end result is all the good guys are weird homosexual mystery meats (and women) that talk about their proclivities in increasingly disturbing detail (and puns) as the game progresses to the extent the only way to persevere and finish the game is to just stop reading the text entirely (probably why I didn't know one of them was a tranny until now). On an unrelated note, the bad guys are all huwhite males for some reason.

You start off enjoying a solid game and then it the rot starts creeping in and you're left staring into the abyss.

I have zero hope for a sequel and the first game is best skipped.
Really a shame I was really looking forward to the first game due to the artists talent. But yeah this should be avoided like plague.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
be really good
It's either "made by ubisoft" or "really good", you can't have both.
Ubisoft is a big fucker, has many competent nooks and crannies. One of them is Ubi Montpellier, the studio behind Rayman. Those dudes have been making first class platformers for the past 30 years. Not surprising at all the new Prince has such positive responses.

Arthandas

Prophet
Many ubishit games have positive responses and high metacritic scores despite being mediocre at best. The last good ubi game (and also the last good PoP) I played was PoP The Two Thrones...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Prince of Persia the Lost Crown released just last month.
At aa 50 bucks price point, so naturally nobody played it.
Could also be that it's a timed exclusive for Epic, otherwise, I might have checked it out, though the price point is indeed high for a metroidvania
I never bother buying Ubi games through someone else, afaik they always require you to download their shitty app anyways so what's the point.

Also no need to rush, Ubi games go down in price fast and furious, give it a year and it'd be sub 20.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom