Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Machocruz

Arcane
Not metroidvania, but I'm enjoying the labyrinth of Rain World. Unlike 99% of those games, they didn't phone in the level design. And I feel it's a true heir to the theme and atmosphere of the original Metroid and SM moreso than the straight clones and wannabes; isolation in a hostile, alien, labyrinthine world has rarely been rendered as evocatively in a side-scroller. Abusive and often fiddly game, but utterly compelling, full of vision and craft.

Ash

Arcane
Don't rate my boy here retarded gabel. What was that for, the comment on Metroidvania level design? They do have straight up GOOD level design but also to a degree lacking. Two of the greatest (SotN and Hollow Knight) being fine examples here. Plenty good shit but also undeniably low effort sections present.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
It's for mentioning Rain World in this thread.
If it's not a Metroidvania (and it isn't), why mention it here.
On top of that it's absolute trash as a game.

Machocruz

Arcane
Neither is Carpathian Night. Sorry kid, the dam's already been broken. This is the general labyrinth game thread now.

Spukrian

Savant
So what do you guys think of Journey to the Savage Planet?

It's described as a Metroid Prime clone, a First Person Metroidvania. I haven't played any Metroid Prime games so I wouldn't know how it compares.

3 others

Scholar
How can I play it it's not out yet?
lawgic-trap-logic-trap.gif

Hell Swarm

Educated

Been recommended this and I think it offers a very unique experience and a very feminine feeling one. It's hard to explain but it feels like Silent Hill aimed at women. Worth checking out if you're into horror metroidvanias. The levels are randomized but progress is made metroidvania style so it's a rogue like metroidvania sort of thing.

Hell Swarm

Educated

Reviews are useless so far. Constant references to a dunkey and Halo 2. Average person is an NPC these days. Sad.

Graphics are kind of crappy and it's expensive for an indie metroidvania but it has potential to go full retard so might be worth getting in a sale.

Ivan

Arcane
This actually looks really cool. I only watched a snippet of the Dunkey video and one review to get the gist and there seems to be a big emphasis on inviting players to discover the verbs behind the tools you acquire. That's a really neat idea, especially since I'm guessing most if not all of the items you acquire will have a literal impact on the playspace. I saw one spoilerish use case for the disc which was pretty delightful.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Started playing this one, it's a twinstick shmup/vania hybrid.

This game has some real ball busting boss fights and enemy encounters. It's definitely one of the better 'vanias and one the more unique ones. It's a spiritual sequel to Aquaria with it's free floating movement.

It even has an interesting morality mechanic with press conferences where you're given the choice to tell the truth about things with minimal reward vs spinning complete bullshit for the most gain.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
It even has an interesting morality mechanic with press conferences where you're given the choice to tell the truth about things [...]

Finally! Exactly what I was missing in my shmups and metroidvanias!

Hell Swarm

Educated

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It even has an interesting morality mechanic with press conferences where you're given the choice to tell the truth about things [...]

Yes, we finally get the chance to be like a white house press secretary.
Why would I want to be like them or an anime fan? I'm happy I'm not a pedophile.
You play as a married 35 yo womyn in this my nigga. Nothing animu or pedo about that.

Hell Swarm

Educated

Yes, we finally get the chance to be like a white house press secretary.
Why would I want to be like them or an anime fan? I'm happy I'm not a pedophile.
You play as a married 35 yo womyn in this my nigga. Nothing animu or pedo about that.
Who just happens to be preportioned like a child..

Can't fool me.

Falksi

Arcane
Past few days I've been replaying this fantastic 1985 Metroidvania game, Citadel...

aHQLhKq.jpg

Honestly, it's still superb. The world and challenge design is absolutely immaculate and ridiculously creative, showing stuff like Hollow Knight up to be the vapid nowt-job it is.

Everything about Citadel has been crafted to a tee, with each screen full of character, and each step forward feeling significant. Granted, the combat is very basic, but it's also very clever for what it is and creates a nice bit of tension. Admittedly there's too much backtracking for modern standards too.

But overall it's great and it's scary that you've got bangers like this knocking about before Metroid even existed, yet people think Metroid invented the genre.

I can't think of a Metroidvania I've played in the last 20 years which is as tightly crafted as this.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom