Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Modron

Arcane
Oh I do agree the nu Jedi series were designed from the ground up to be 3D Vanias with Dark Souls combat. My contention was that calling them Vanias would lead to a category with far less cut and dry boundaries because there are more mario inspired 3D platformers which also have stuff gated by new abilities.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Oh I do agree the nu Jedi series were designed from the ground up to be 3D Vanias with Dark Souls combat. My contention was that calling them Vanias would lead to a category with far less cut and dry boundaries because there are more mario inspired 3D platformers which also have stuff gated by new abilities.
At the very least 3D 'vanias are a sister genre to the classic 2D ones. It'd be hard to argue the Metroid Prime games in particular aren't like the 2D originals in what they're going for(oh how i wish they'd get ported to PC and to play them with KB/M)

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't think 2D is absolute, but it shouldn't be casually disregarded either. I've seen this elsewhere and then the next step is that the world doesn't have to be labyrinthine, and then no backtracking, and then now powers, and then....

Nowadays people groups things according to general, fuzzy criteria (e.g. saying any old game is like a RPG if it has "upgrades" when the kind of upgrades RPGs traditionally have are quite specific). Metroid was doing specific things that made it what it is, and then SotN added some things to that that were specific which lead to "metroidvania". So the more of those same specific things that a game does, the more it qualifies to be considered one of those, imo.

Retardo

Learned
Bought Nine Sols on a whim and played for about 110 minutes.

Artstyle is p good, mudic is kinda unique cool if u like weird vaguely asian sound - the closest I can come up with is ruiner ost, but way more asian.
Combat and platforming are way more forgiving than expected - I'm bad at parrying mechanics, and had to resort to cheats when playing sekiro, but here its actually ok: movements are generally readable, parry window is ok, and havent seen evil moveset shit like in lies of pp so far.

Translation is better than average.

Only two negatives so far:
- dialogues are mostly not fully voiced, and they just make weird sounds/say 1-2 words in Chinese
- while in general the whole cat-people thing is much less degenerate than expected, there's something inherently cringey in hippy cat-dude in a bathrobe chilling on a levitating rock, or statues of a ripped cat wearing track pants.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Still nothing about Silksong.
Calling it now: It will be shit.
Yeah people keeping defending them saying to trust them, but these overly long dev cycles tend to be the result of mismanaged shitshows with scope creep or endless revisions that end up being an unfinished mess no matter how long they took. At some point you know the development took some sort of autistic turn and they started adding individual leaf physics and genetics to the trees or something.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Or they're going the sweet baby way and rewrite everything.
Whatever the case may be, it will be shit.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Upcoming metroidvania with NES-style graphics about WW2, now that's something I can say I've never seen

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, completed Blade Chimera's Demo and loved it. If you prefer movement-focused 'vanias over combat-focused ones, give it a go.

3 others

Scholar

Reviews are useless so far. Constant references to a dunkey and Halo 2. Average person is an NPC these days. Sad.

At first glance, it looks like Rain World Light. Is it at least somewhat challenging?

Anyone played this yet? It has rave reviews, 10/10s, but I don't trust 90% of gamers. I don't trust 90% of codexers either, but maybe the 10% will chime in.

I'm only a few hours in, but: It's 60% puzzles and 40% exploration. There doesn't seem to be any proper combat, the enemies are obstacles to be avoided or overcome by using your items(which so far have been unusual by genre standards, and have multiple applications). It feels like almost every screen has at least one hidden item or passageway. The difficulty curve has been reasonable so far, with simple secrets and puzzles gradually leading to tougher ones, and I imagine the truly bullshit challenges are reserved for the postgame. The game also appears to be almost entirely bug-free. My main criticisms are that the graphical style and sound are just okay, and I don't like that you play as a cute featureless blob; tired of that shit. If you enjoyed La Mulana, you'll probably appreciate Animal Well. Hell, I despised La Mulana and I'm having fun with Animal Well.

Bought this on the back of the La Mulana shoutout but the lack of key remapping is driving me up a wall. The beginning looks very promising tho

Jrpgfan

Erudite
So, what's Kodex Konsensus on Animal Well? Is it good or just another pretentious 2deep4u pixelart trash?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom