Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone going to buy the upgraded edition of the witcher?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=9847

So, who of you people is going to actually buy the new extended version of the witcher? Personally I loved the initial released version. It made a great action rpg with one of the best implemented example's of c&c. That the translation seemed a bit lacking didn't bother me that much, but it did irk me a little that so much of the script was cut on behalf of Atari. Then they announced a new version in the shops and a free patch for anyone that allready bought it. For me that shows an incredible and rare love for games and their customers and a great example to the industry. It must have also cost them a pretty penny, so I'm going to get it. Even when I allready have the initial collectors edition. Sometimes one should show their appreciation.

wjw

Augur
Will buy it, didn't bought the original cause i knew this one was coming.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Gonna dload the free patch, since I bought the CE before, I don't wanna pay twice for the (almost) same stuff if they give it to me officially for free, because I'm a fat greedy jew.

Mareus

Magister
Deffinatly gonna buy this one. I just had the pirated version till now and I would have bougth the original, but when I heard upgraded one is comming I decided to wait for it. A must have!

Shannow

Waster of Time
They announced the EE around the time I wanted to buy the game anyway. So I waited. And waited and wated... Ah, well. I'll buy it when it finally comes but why didn't you simply start a poll?

Antagonist

Liturgist
GlobalExplorer said:
I plan on buying it. The new PC I am building should be ready by September.

Same here. I have finally decided to upgrade my 6+ years old PC since the hardware prices are ridiculously low at the moment. For instance, you can get the high-end ATI graphics card (4870) for around 200 Euros. 2-3 years ago an acceptable graphic card for a gaming rig started at 300 Euros. All in all, you can get a computer capable of rendering games with the highest details (except Crysis maybe) for about 900 Euros without monitor.

Although my better half already does own a copy of The Witcher I'm still planning to buy a second one it to support CD Project financially.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Antagonist said:
All in all, you can get a computer capable of rendering games with the highest details (except Crysis maybe) for about 900 Euros without monitor.

Precisely, if you go for the 4850 and also deduct the case a really good pc costs just 700 € ( IP35 + E8500 + HD 4850 + 2GB 1066 + 7200upm high density HD ). Using mature components with excellent price / perfomance rating, you get a solid and stable system too.

Now my real problem is, what's the point in upgrading if I don't know what games am I going to play with it? The most fun I have is with Arcanum and other gems which I missed in the first place, and strategy games like GalCiv2, Boa2, AACW that still run well on my overclocked Barton.

I made a list of games requiring a new PC and it is depressingly short. Mind I removed all unreleased titles like Empire TW, except those that are only 4 weeks out:

RPGs:
- Witcher Extended
- Stalker CS

Sims:
- Armed Assault
- Lomac Flaming Cliffs
- SHIV
- Bob II

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought it back then, and going to buy it again just because of the crapload of extras they put into the box, and to support the devs :salute:

Burning Bridges

Let me add I generally like the idea of this re-release. Considering that they promise fast loading times and all kinds of polish, we could end up with a real quality product.

The official site states Witcher sold 800.000 units, which means it was a financial success. If you add additonal sales of the extended version to those people like me who passed it over for hardware requirements, this should mean a lot of money in CD Projects pockets and - as these guys seem to be very serious about making RPGs - we will get a sequel.

To sum up, there is now a little flame of hope in me CDProject will fill some of the void we are left with atm.

Kraszu

Prophet
GlobalExplorer said:
Antagonist said:
All in all, you can get a computer capable of rendering games with the highest details (except Crysis maybe) for about 900 Euros without monitor.

Precisely, if you go for the 4850 and also deduct the case a really good pc costs just 700 € ( IP35 + E8500 + HD 4850 + 2GB 1066 + 7200upm high density HD ). Using mature components with excellent price / perfomance rating, you get a solid and stable system too.

I would go for cheaper 4gb of ram, much better then 2gb 1066 and for not much more. You can get cheaper cpu and o/c it to save some €. Those core 2 duo o/c great. Definitly I would get cheaper cpu for extra 2gb ram.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I already have the CE, so I'll try getting my hands on the"upgrade" edition, to get the extras. I thought the EE seemed a little risky, but releasing a separate version for people who can get the update for free is just pure balls. Impressive.

Burning Bridges

Kraszu said:
I would go for cheaper 4gb of ram, much better then 2gb 1066 and for not much more. You can get cheaper cpu and o/c it to save some €. Those core 2 duo o/c great. Definitly I would get cheaper cpu for extra 2gb ram.

I know I could stick with the E8400 but Intel just recently announced massive price drops for all Core2 CPUs. If the E8500 is 130 € why should I go for something cheaper?

I agree RAM is incredibly cheap these days and 4GB is of course an option but I intend to stick with XP which doesnt have much use for more than 2GB, besides memory is a stability factor.

lefthandblack

Arcane
I agree RAM is incredibly cheap these days and 4GB is of course an option but I intend to stick with XP which doesnt have much use for more than 2GB, besides memory is a stability factor.
Windows XP will utilize 3.5 gb out of four gigs.

I'm running 2x 2gb sticks in dual-channel and the difference in performance from 2gb is very noticeable in games like TW that use alot of ram, especially during load-screens.

Kraszu

Prophet
GlobalExplorer said:
Kraszu said:

I know I could stick with the E8400 but Intel just recently announced massive price drops for all Core2 CPUs. If the E8500 is 130 € why should I go for something cheaper?

Oh I meant 2x2gb 800mh not worse brand. Whit PC like that I would try out vista just for dx10, in case you know somebody willing to borrow you the system. there is hardly any difference between 800mh and 1066mh but there is in price.

When core2duo will drop in price? I will settle for o/c 7200 most likely it should be enough for 4850/70.

Burning Bridges

Ok I am going to check about XP and RAM over 2GB, if it utilizes 3.5 its certainly a different situation.

But I do not intend to buy cheap RAM, nor do I have plans for getting Vista.

I know DDR2 1066 does not give a performance boost but it should be more stable under overclocking and for quality modules the price is almost the same. Tip: You guys should check prices of today and not of > 2months ago.

Kraszu

Prophet
lefthandblack said:
Windows XP will utilize 3.5 gb out of four gigs.

I'm running 2x 2gb sticks in dual-channel and the difference in performance from 2gb is very noticeable in games like TW that use alot of ram, especially during load-screens.

It doesn't take into account video card ram making it 3gb? Still that is much more.

lefthandblack

Arcane
Kraszu said:
It doesn't take into account video card ram making it 3gb? Still that is much more.

No, that is just system memory.

I just opened task manager and physical memory is reported as:
Total: 3668396
Available: 3231736
System cache: 574464

You can open your own task manager and compare your numbers to mine to see the difference compared to my numbers.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Didn't have the specs to run it when it first came out. This and Mask of the Betrayer are what's making me save up to upgrade my comp. Definitely gonna pick it up.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Anyone going to buy the upgraded edition of the witcher?
Nope, the normal edition was enough for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom