Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone going to buy the upgraded edition of the witcher?

Mareus

Magister
CDprojekt has shown how they cater their customers. I am even thinking buying it two times to support CDprojekt and I will give one game as a gift to my friend who loves the game, but also has the pirated version. I just hope people don't misunderstand this. If the game sucked I would skip it despite the nice gesture from CDprojekt, but since the game is indeed very good, especially in these Oblivionized times, I say we must support this developer so they don't end up as poor Trioka... (god bless their soul).

PS. Please keep up the good work, because there is still room for improvement.

Antagonist

Liturgist
GlobalExplorer said:
Now my real problem is, what's the point in upgrading if I don't know what games am I going to play with it? The most fun I have is with Arcanum and other gems which I missed in the first place, and strategy games like GalCiv2, Boa2, AACW that still run well on my overclocked Barton.

Well, I shared your sentiment until recently. For the last 2-3 years my main reason for not upgrading was less the money (although it was also a strong factor, as a student I can't cough up 1000+ Euros easily) but also the incredibly lame selection of games. I spent some time with a cheaply aquired PS2 which provided a lot of fun although more in the action adventure than rpg genre and recently after years of RPG Codex indoctrination I started exploring all the classics ranging from Arcanum to Geneforge (just finished part 2). Nevertheless, I realized that over the years enough PC titles piled up which I am interesting in playing to warrant the expenses of buying a new computer.

Besides some RPGs which need a more powerful rig (Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2 + Expansions, the upcoming Diablo 3, Drakensang) there are also a couple of more action-oriented titles which caught my interest (Half-Life 2: Episode 2 + Portal, Bioshock, Stalker: Clear Sky, Alan Wake, Far Cry 2, GTA 4) and I even intend to wet my feet with true MMORPGs (Lord of the Rings Online).

So, I guess it depends whether your taste in gaming is limited to a subset of games which the current mainstream market doesn't offer in large quantities or if you can squeeze out some fun out of what is available.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It will cost around 15 Euros? That's fucking cheap. Granted, the game is a year old, but it was a great game and this new edition has a fuckload of extras with it and the game is vastly improved compared to the original release... worth a buy, definitely.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I have the normal edition, but the map tempts me. Sad but true, art to decorate my barren study walls may be the deciding factor.

Deleted member 7219

Gerrard said:
Already got the CE, so no. Their servers will probably explode on patch release, but oh well.

The RAM issue is not a matter of XP or vista, it's a matter of 32 or 64 bit.
Here's some reading if you're interested in details
Also, TW is not a 64bit application so it can't use the extra memory.

Shouldn't be a problem if they put up lots of mirrors. A few for the US, and one for each European country maybe.

I don't know if they're actually doing it, but a few weeks ago CDProjekt had a poll up asking the people that already had the game if they'd buy the extras seperately for like 10 dollars or so (can't remember the price). The poll was extremely on the positive side, so they may make it available on their website at a decent price so you also won't have to fork over money for the entire game. I don't know if they made a decision on that either way yet, but here's hoping.

And I must say I'm hugely impressed with how CDProjekt is listening and caring for the fans of their game. Here's wishing them all the success.

Stauff

Liturgist
The biggest problem is whether it will be available at my place. Those Russian gaming shops will never give you a chance to get a collectors edition English version, and getting some crappy translation is not a variant for me.

Online purchase is not that bad but it's still nowhere near as good as in US or EU.

mondblut

Arcane
I still can't see how it is any different from a patched original, unless you suffer from cripped english translation.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Will get it in September or so, if only to confirm how awful it is.

Though hey, maybe I can end up liking it. Just because a game has stupid and retarded combat that doesn't have to make it entirely awful; see Ultima 7. (And don't argue! Timing-click combat IS awful, worse than even Gothic.)

Fez

Erudite
I only got the standard packaging last time. This time around I'll probably get the CE or that pack with the extras they were talking about. I want the goodies.

obediah

Erudite
I'm all over this bitch, as long as I can get the titty cards and don't have to uninstall daemontools.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Jasede said:
Just because a game has stupid and retarded combat that doesn't have to make it entirely awful; see Ultima 7. (And don't argue! Timing-click combat IS awful, worse than even Gothic.)
No need to argue. You are expressing your opnion, not some fact. It is not worth discussing.
You like sucking cock and hate combat in the Gothic games. If that is your preference, good for you.
For me it is different. Not interested in cock and I like combat in G1+2. If it plays out similarly in TW I'll be very happy.

The biggest problem is whether it will be available at my place. Those Russian gaming shops will never give you a chance to get a collectors edition English version, and getting some crappy translation is not a variant for me.
In addition to the in-game updates, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will feature premium packaging loaded with value, including the multilingual game disc allowing you to play with any combination of voice-over and subtitles,
Unless you are talking about the box-content you shouldn't have any problems.

Fez

Erudite
Can't the Russians order it by mail if they want the collector's edition goodies or packaging?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Stauff said:
The Russian translation is quite good. Anyway, the EE will allow you to choose any combination of voice-overs/subs.
Fez said:
Can't the Russians order it by mail if they want the collector's edition goodies or packaging?
We can, in theory. The problem is that our postal service isn't very trust-worthy, and whatever you ordered can easily get "lost" on the way.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I can understand that must suck. I cannot stand any form of synchronization and always order the english versions, ususally from the UK, from the USA it also works in 5-7 days, postage is a bit expensive at ~ 10€. And a lot of stuff like Japanese samurai movies simply has to be watched with subtitles only to be really appreciated.

LarsTheSurly

Scholar
They make it sound pretty good. I might go out and buy this, even though I own a copy of the original game.

I'm a poor, starving college student, but I'll gladly support these guys. Here's hoping someday they'll take down Bethesda! :D

Fez

Erudite
Lestat said:
We can, in theory. The problem is that our postal service isn't very trust-worthy, and whatever you ordered can easily get "lost" on the way.

Do you have any private couriers that would be better?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Lestat said:

You could hire some old grandpa who served in the airforce in WW2 to bring you the game by plane - that is, flying above your house and throwing the package down. He probably wouldn't charge a lot of money for it and just do it for the fun and memories of the good old times.

Thrasher

Erudite
I too haven't bought it yet, and have been waiting for the upgraded version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom