Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anything worthwhile for Xbox 360 and PS3?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Right now i have Demon Souls and Raiden IV: Overkill on RPCS3 and all the Cave bullet hell games on Xenia.

Not sure what else is there for those emulators. I assume there is isn't a whole lot as most games are probably available on PC, but i figured i'd ask, especially maybe for Japanese games that never got released on Steam and are still wallowing on those consoles, like the aformentioned shmups (i got the ones they released on Steam but i suspect they aren't going to ever port the rest).

I was going to add Ninja Gaiden but i think those are available on Steam as well now (though i think i read the PS3 version is better?). Just hit me with whatever you think it's worth looking out for so i can get it over and go back shifting throgh the PS1 and PS2 catalogue.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Yeah most of it is available on PC, from that 7th generation forward.

Playstation 3: The Killzone and Resistance series are passable shooters exclusive to PS3, plus there is some odd stuff like Heavenly Sword, God of War: Ascension, Genji: Days of the Blade, and Soul Calibur IV & V that never got a PC port. Xbox 360: The 360 has Gears of War, the odd thing like Ninja Blade, Too Human, etc, plus JPRG exclusives like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Both: Conan is exclusive to consoles, as is Golden Axe: Beast Rider.

Most of those arn't that good, but Gears of War I, II and III are solid, Soul Calibur is my favorite fighting game series, and Lost Odyssey is regarded as a lost FF game by some fans. Lesser games like Conan might be of interest if the subject is appealing. There are also some games that are probably available on PC, but easier to find on PS3 or 360.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The PS3 versions of NG are worse than the original Xbox and 360 games. Looking back at my PS3 library the only worthwhile exclusive games were Demon's Souls and the MGS HD Collection which emulates poorly, misses some graphical effects from the PS2 version, and is full of pressure sensitive controls meant for a PS2/PS3 controller. For 360 you could check out NG2 with its intended enemy count, but I don't know if it emulates well since it was already laggy on a real 360.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
u393hKf.jpg

Oh yeah forgot this game, Eternal Sonata, about Frederic Chopin, might be your kind of thing Lyric Suite:

The game is centered on the Polish romantic pianist and composer Frédéric Chopin, who died of tuberculosis at the age of 39. The story envisions a fictional world dreamed by Chopin during his last hours that is influenced by Chopin's life and music, and in which he himself is a playable character, among others. The game's battle system centers on musical elements and character-unique special attacks.
No idea if it's any good, as I have sorta gone off JRPGs in the last couple of years, so will likely not play it.

The four good turn based JRPGs on Xbox 360. However, FF13, The Last Remnant and Resonance of Fate have PC ports so you're going to get better performance playing the ports than emulating them. FF13 has extensive graphics mods to make it look better. Resonance of Fate on Steam has a high-res texture pack available for download. The PC version of TLR has improved gameplay. Also, TLR's gameplay can become extremely tedious, but you can alleviate that by using a trainer called TLRplanner, which allows you to force spawn the specific rare mobs you're after, teleport to the spawn location, and then force the mobs to drop the entire loot tables so you get the quest items you need. TLR was delisted on the Steam store years ago but you can still buy Steam keys from a key reseller and redeem them. The only game that doesn't have a PC port is Lost Odyssey, so if you're going to emulate it should be that one.

For good PS3 JRPGs, there is Valkyria Chronicles, but again it has a PC port so you mind as well get that. I've sometimes heard White Knight Chronicles brought up but I've never played it. There are also the Atelier games but IIRC the PS Vita versions have more content.

Last edited:

The Decline

Arcane
The Armored Core entries, though they don't emulate correctly yet. Condemned 2 and the first Darkness game are console exclusive to that gen.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
PS3
  • Metal Gear Solid HD Collection > if can only play one, then it must absolutely be Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence one of the best games of that decade ; if then you want to continue try Peace Walker (also included in this collection) and after that one you can come to PC to play MGSV ; you can also try Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, they're nice 2D stealth games and you get to know the inception of the entire series
  • As for 3D figthing games you have > Soul Calibur 2 HD ; Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection Online ; Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

For the Xbox 360 there's Red Dead Redemption - well it's also available to the PS3 but supposedly the 360 emulator runs it better...

Other than that most good console exclusives of that generation already came to PC
And the 360 was kinda poor in exclusive content

Still if I were to list the remaining worthwhile PS3 exclusives not on PC: 3D Dot Game Heroes ; Armored Core series ; Zone of the Enders Collection ; Little Big Planet series ; The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection ; Dragon's Crown ; Gran Turismo 6 ; Jak and Daxter Collection ; Ratchet and Clank series ; God of War 3 ; Uncharted Triology ; X-Men Origins: Wolverine

And really that's it.

Ninja Gaiden but i think those are available on Steam as well now
Yes, but the PC port is garbage
You're better off playing it on the emulators as there you can set up everything to your heart's content, including mouse and keyboard

Also if anyone tells you to play Black instead of Sigma, it means they don't know what they're talking about
Ninja Gaiden Sigma is essentially Black but highly polished, better looking and with new content (including a very enjoyable new weapon, which is excellent for combo crafting)

Now, between Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, you should go with the former
However I don't recomend you playing NG2, unless you're really into hardcore brawlers (not so much because the game is "difficult", but because despite doing a specific gameplay element very well, the rest of the game is mostly bullshit)

On that note, if you are going to jump into this series, you might as well try all the other greats - DMC, God Hand, Bayonetta

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
u393hKf.jpg

Oh yeah forgot this game, Eternal Sonata, about Frederic Chopin, might be your kind of thing Lyric Suite:

The game is centered on the Polish romantic pianist and composer Frédéric Chopin, who died of tuberculosis at the age of 39. The story envisions a fictional world dreamed by Chopin during his last hours that is influenced by Chopin's life and music, and in which he himself is a playable character, among others. The game's battle system centers on musical elements and character-unique special attacks.
No idea if it's any good, as I have sorta gone off JRPGs in the last couple of years, so will likely not play it.

This might be a better question for the emulation thread but i'll just post it here. I checked the compatibility for that game on the RPCS3 website, and it says "in game". My fist assumption was that it's not actually playable, but apparently it is? Author of this video says you can actually finish it:

How does this work, is the compatibility list not updated?

Ravielsk

Magister
For a devoted Muslim such as yourself? No, everything on the 7th gen is HARAM.

For everyone else Drakengard 3 is exclusive to the PS3. It does not run very well but story wise it is pretty much on par with the first Drakengard. Although I seriously advise playing with the japanese dub because the localizers have seriously fucked with the dialog and rather dramatically altered the tone of many scenes.
Drakengard_3_boxart.png

Other than that there is also Trinity: Souls of Zill Ơll which I only played a little bit so I cannot vouch for it but it was rather solid action JRPG. White Knight Chronicles 2 is massive package of two games sandwiched together buts its more like an MMO than a singleplayer game and was very dependent on multiplayer(which is now dead but there might be fan servers). Both Tales of Xillia are exclusive to the PS3. First one is a bit unfinished but is otherwise absolutely excellent. Oh and the three good Infamous games are also exclusive to the PS3 so you might want to check those out as well.
Trinity_Souls.jpg
White_Knight_Chronicles_2.png
Tales_of_Xillia_Cover.png
Tales_of_Xillia_2.png
Infamous-cover.jpg
Infamous_2.png
Infamous_-_Festival_of_Blood_Promo_Poster.jpg

As for the Xbox360. Well there its a bit harder with RPGs but there is Infinite Undiscovery and Magna Carta 2. Haven't played much from them so I will abstain from recommending them but I heard good things about both. Otherwise you are mostly looking at line up of various action games such as Saints Row 1 or Crackdown 1+2. Surprisingly two best Naruto games and if you are into Tomb Raider then Underworld has two exclusive DLCs that wrap up th story of that game.
InfiniteUndiscoveryBoxart.jpg
Magna_carta_2.jpg
Crackdown2Cover.jpg
Crackdownfinalbox.jpg
Saints_Row_Box_Art.jpg
Naruto_ROANfront.jpg
Naruto_The_Broken_Bond.jpg
Beneath_The_Ashes.png
Lara%27s_Shadow.png

There is more but I need to go to sleep so I will cut it out here.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dragons_Crown.png

It's a beat-em-up with RPG elements to it, gear, levels, skill trees, etc. Runs great on RPCS3.
Seconded: Dragon's Crown (2013) is a beat-'em-up with additional RPG elements (character progression, character customization, equipment), a distinctive art-style, excellent aesthetic influences, and inspiration from classic '90s Capcom beat-'em-ups, particularly the two D&D-licensed games (Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara). The worst aspect of the game is that a single playthrough with one of its six characters requires clearing the same levels multiple times, so you probably need to allow some time to pass before replaying with a different character to avoid fatigue from the repetition, but it's great fun for each playthrough. And, among other homages to D&D, it has owlbears!

Art10.jpg

Ico (2001) and Shadow of the Colossus (2005) were both originally released on the PS2, but they had a joint PS3 re-release in 2011 with remastered graphics. The former is an adventure game with some combat and platforming, while the latter had innovative gameplay based around fighting 16 giant monsters with much climbing involved. Both are masterpieces of symbolism, showing that videogames can indeed be art.

zppUcwx.jpg

lKQzQBB.jpg

Last edited:
Right now i have Demon Souls and Raiden IV: Overkill on RPCS3 and all the Cave bullet hell games on Xenia.

Not sure what else is there for those emulators. I assume there is isn't a whole lot as most games are probably available on PC, but i figured i'd ask, especially maybe for Japanese games that never got released on Steam and are still wallowing on those consoles, like the aformentioned shmups (i got the ones they released on Steam but i suspect they aren't going to ever port the rest).

I was going to add Ninja Gaiden but i think those are available on Steam as well now (though i think i read the PS3 version is better?). Just hit me with whatever you think it's worth looking out for so i can get it over and go back shifting throgh the PS1 and PS2 catalogue.

The PS3 version of a game is never better. If something is multiplatform, it is always going to be worse on PS3; at least I can’t think of any time the PS3 version was the one to get thanks to the difficulties developers had with the Cell processor. There might be a few cases here and there where that isn’t true, but as a rule of thumb, if it wasn’t made specifically for the PS3 you may as well just get it for 360 or PC.

And the PS3 versions of the Ninja Gaiden games are worse then the original versions.

Dragon’s Crown is great. But Dragon’s Crown also got a HD version on PS4 back in 2018. It’s a beat ‘em up influenced by Capcom’s old D&D games...Vanillaware head George Kamitani was one of the heads on Tower of Doom while at Capcom. It’s more RPG than the Capcom games, and at a certain you kind of actually need to take a party with you like the dungeon crawlers it’s partly inspired by. Odin Sphere also got a HD version a while back on PS4, and GrimGrimoire is getting a new HD version in April.

Tokyo Jungle and Starhawk are still stuck on the PS3. I’ve never played it, but there’s a Japanese exclusive third Lost Planet game on PS3 called EX Troopers.

Chromehounds I think can only still be played on 360. There’s a number of Xbox Live games like Pac-Man Championship Edition, (this is the best Pac-Man game) Galaga Legions, Space Invaders Extreme, Lumines Live!, N+, Guardian Heroes, Omega Five, and Hard Corps: Uprising. It’s not like it’s some great game, but The Outfit is an interesting third person shooter stab at an RTS from Relic Entertainment that it’s too bad they never followed up on...looks like it’s backwards compatible now.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
u393hKf.jpg

This might be a better question for the emulation thread but i'll just post it here. I checked the compatibility for that game on the RPCS3 website, and it says "in game". My fist assumption was that it's not actually playable, but apparently it is? Author of this video says you can actually finish it:

Yes; I had the same impression, that it means you cannot actually complete it. My understanding is that when they say 'in game', it means the game is at the level that can reliably get past the opening menus, into the gameplay itself, but then will encounter major errors in emulation that likely prelude compleition or hinder it. I had a look around for some threads on it, and came across some posts saying it does not run without crashes. Perhaps the annoyance is not worth it, but there is a possibility you can work around them, through options:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpcs3/comments/bdb9gd/eternal_sonata_is_playable/

In all honesty however, after the PS1 and PS2, where Japanese games flourished, many tried interesting things, then came West as obscure cult classics, the PS3 was an era where Japanese development was reduced by 90%. The Xbox 360 actually has equal or more JRPGs. Japan did not make the transition well to HD graphics as someone noted, finding it hard to meet the requisite demanded by audiences at the time. It wasn't until the PS4 era that things recovered, but they have never quite reached that same level as during the PS2 days.

Microsoft had a policy at this time of trying to attract JRPGs, to get past their image as the 'American console' full of shooters. So they got Final Fantasy's creator and composer to make a couple of high budget JRPGs. Mistwalker seems to have never done much since, but they had a lot of Microsoft money behind them. People will recommend Lost Odyssey as the premiere JRPG of the generation. It is like a lost Final Fantasy 12, retaining turn-based combat, if you like that series. In truth, it's an okay game, with some good short stories written by Japanese author Kiyoshi Shigematsu, but which are completely outside the gameplay, like a jounal.

PS3 (I play all of these regularly on RPCS3, they all run perfectly):

- 3D Dot Game Heroes: Charming Zelda clone. Distributed by From Software.
- After Burner Climax: Great port of a later-day Sega arcade title that came out on the Lindbergh board.
- Armored Core 4/For Answer: Pretty big gameplay change from previous games in the series, directed by Muhzaki, cool game, especially 4A. There were some graphical glitches in emulation but they were recently fixed.
- Hard Corps: Uprising: Decent Contra sidescroller by Arc System Works.
- Siren: Blood Curse: Episodic horror game, your mileage may vary but it's interesting.
- Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir: Probably the best Vanillaware game. I think Dragon's Crown is overrated.
- Dead Nation: Twinstick shooter by Housemarque where you mow down undead hordes with upgradable weapons. Not their best game, but fun nonetheless.

(Gonna list a few SCE Studios Japan games, believe it or not Sony had some great internal creative teams in the late aughts/early 2010s.

- The Last Guy: Difficult to describe, but very cool. You're tasked with saving populations from monster-infested cities by herding them from a macro perspective.
- Tokyo Jungle: Survival game where you play as various animals trying to make it in post-apocalyptic Tokyo.
- Trash Panic: Puzzle game where you're supposed to break down garbage. A cool spin on Tetris.

360:

Ninja Gaiden 2. Best Ninja Gaiden game by far and much better than the neutered Sigma version.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
u393hKf.jpg

Yes; I had the same impression, that it means you cannot actually complete it. My understanding is that when they say 'in game', it means the game is at the level that can reliably get past the opening menus, into the gameplay itself, but then will encounter major errors in emulation that likely prelude compleition or hinder it. I had a look around for some threads on it, and came across some posts saying it does not run without crashes. Perhaps the annoyance is not worth it, but there is a possibility you can work around them, through options:

In all honesty however, after the PS1 and PS2, where Japanese games flourished, many tried interesting things, then came West as obscure cult classics, the PS3 was an era where Japanese development was reduced by 90%. The Xbox 360 actually has equal or more JRPGs. Japan did not make the transition well to HD graphics as someone noted, finding it hard to meet the requisite demanded by audiences at the time. It wasn't until the PS4 era that things recovered, but they have never quite reached that same level as during the PS2 days.

Microsoft had a policy at this time of trying to attract JRPGs, to get past their image as the 'American console' full of shooters. So they got Final Fantasy's creator and composer to make a couple of high budget JRPGs. Mistwalker seems to have never done much since, but they had a lot of Microsoft money behind them. People will recommend Lost Odyssey as the premiere JRPG of the generation. It is like a lost Final Fantasy 12, retaining turn-based combat, if you like that series. In truth, it's an okay game, with some good short stories written by Japanese author Kiyoshi Shigematsu, but which are completely outside the gameplay, like a jounal.

Mmmh, this shit about different versions is starting to get obnoxious. I checked if there were differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of this game and indeed they aren't the same, the PS3 version being apparently harder with some extra story content. So it's not as simple as deciding between Xenia or RPCS3 depending on which works better i have to check if the game is different for each console.

Same with the Cave shooters one of the reasons i got them on Xenia is that even though they work fine on MAME this days the Xbox versions have extra modes and the like. I'm starting to think this is another cancer of the way consoles do business. That not only they have to constantly release games for every other console that gets made but that they have to "alter" the games to make people want to buy them again and from what you guys are saying the changes aren't always for the best. Special editions, black label versions, alpha, alpha ex, sigma and beta, fucking hell stop doing that shit you fucking assholes.

Anyway if what you are saying is true Xenia might be a more important emulator than i first thought. It was in fact odd that the Cave shooters were released there but not on any of Sony's consoles i always wondered about that.

Ravielsk

Magister
I'm starting to think this is another cancer of the way consoles do business. That not only they have to constantly release games for every other console that gets made but that they have to "alter" the games to make people want to buy them again and from what you guys are saying the changes aren't always for the best. Special editions, black label versions, alpha, alpha ex, sigma and beta, fucking hell stop doing that shit you fucking assholes.
Nah, its the general cancer of remakes and re-releases. They know that if they want to charge full price for a game they need to justify it somehow. So they need something that is competitive with the already existing version but competitive is not the same as better. It just needs to be different enough to justify its existence whether its for better or for worse because they know damn well most console tards are too lazy to check regardless of how easy it would be.
Ninja Gaiden is on the extreme end of this shit covered stick as it now has 4 different versions that nobody can agree on which is the best or most representative of the intended experience. Actually it has 5 if you count the PC version because of its mod support.
Anyway if what you are saying is true Xenia might be a more important emulator than i first thought. It was in fact odd that the Cave shooters were released there but not on any of Sony's consoles i always wondered about that.
Both the original Xbox and Xbox 360 are home to quite a few exclusives that were essentially tanked by Microsofts shitty marketing. Both consoles were, for a lack of a better word, marketed as dudebro boxes for HALO and COD so anything outside of those dudebro franchises was effectively ignored as people who would buy such games were thoroughly convinced by Microsoft's marketing that those games do not exist(myself very much included).
That is also why emulation of both has been massively lagging behind the PS3 and even PS4 because there simply was not a enough of a following for those kinds of projects to get of the ground(both in terms of demand and actual programming talent). Despite the fact that they should be far easier to do since both are mostly just modified Windows machines.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
u393hKf.jpg

Mmmh, this shit about different versions is starting to get obnoxious. I checked if there were differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of this game and indeed they aren't the same, the PS3 version being apparently harder with some extra story content. So it's not as simple as deciding between Xenia or RPCS3 depending on which works better i have to check if the game is different for each console.

Same with the Cave shooters one of the reasons i got them on Xenia is that even though they work fine on MAME this days the Xbox versions have extra modes and the like. I'm starting to think this is another cancer of the way consoles do business. That not only they have to constantly release games for every other console that gets made but that they have to "alter" the games to make people want to buy them again and from what you guys are saying the changes aren't always for the best. Special editions, black label versions, alpha, alpha ex, sigma and beta, fucking hell stop doing that shit you fucking assholes.

Agreed on the different versions crap. Eternal Sonata was originally announced as a 360 exclusive if I remember right, then became cross platform later with that added difficulty, etc. That happened a couple of times with games in that generation. Tales of Vesperia was 360 exclusive, but got a Japan-only PS3 port eventually. I guess perhaps remaining exclusive to Microsoft represented a loss of sales in Japan, where Xbox uptake was lower. Ninja Gaiden Sigma versions had some differences like no decapitations or less blood, if I remember.

The 360 was much easier to develop for than the PS3's architecture, so it was the go-to console for that generation, for any big Western publisher, with many of the PS3 ports being noticably inferior. PS3 exclusives that took time to learn the architecture were notably better than ports. The problem we have in 2022, is that for some reason that I can't remember, Xbox is quite hard to emulate, despite being a Windows like x86 system, basically a PC.

I still have an original console, with a bunch of games on disc instead; occasionally I still buy something for a few pounds.

Both Xenia and RPCS3 have quite low compatability, it was around 50% for PS3 last I checked. This is why 7th gen is the horizon where I stop emulating, trying to get the physical disc cheap, or finding a PC port. I don't tend to emulate anything after 6th gen, because emulators up until then have almost 100% compatability. Also I think the console golden age for Japanese devs is 4th, 5th and 6th. The PS1 for example was a JRPG and survival horror monster, although not every JRPG was up to the highest standards, it means you can still discover monocled stuff.

CAxh4jz.png

Last edited:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
>post thread on jRPG subforum
>proceed to discuss non-jRPGs

What compels people to do this, time and time again? You guys allergic to the General Gaming subforum?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, where did you want me to post a question like this? We don't have a general japofag console sub-forum, this is the only one.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

The four good turn based JRPGs on Xbox 360. However, FF13, The Last Remnant and Resonance of Fate have PC ports so you're going to get better performance playing the ports than emulating them. FF13 has extensive graphics mods to make it look better. Resonance of Fate on Steam has a high-res texture pack available for download. The PC version of TLR has improved gameplay. Also, TLR's gameplay can become extremely tedious, but you can alleviate that by using a trainer called TLRplanner, which allows you to force spawn the specific rare mobs you're after, teleport to the spawn location, and then force the mobs to drop the entire loot tables so you get the quest items you need. TLR was delisted on the Steam store years ago but you can still buy Steam keys from a key reseller and redeem them. The only game that doesn't have a PC port is Lost Odyssey, so if you're going to emulate it should be that one.

For good PS3 JRPGs, there is Valkyria Chronicles, but again it has a PC port so you mind as well get that. I've sometimes heard White Knight Chronicles brought up but I've never played it. There are also the Atelier games but IIRC the PS Vita versions have more content.
Ignore FF13 Lyric but the rest are ok.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
We don't have a general japofag console sub-forum, this is the only one.
Is there anything in the Gaming subforum that says "you must never discuss Japanese games here"?

Don't take this an attack, it just something that happens often and it grates me. Because I have go to the jarpig forum if I want to discuss Devil May Cry 5 for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom