Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anything worthwhile for Xbox 360 and PS3?

Parsifarka

Arcane
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, pure fighting bliss.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
We don't have a general japofag console sub-forum, this is the only one.
Is there anything in the Gaming subforum that says "you must never discuss Japanese games here"?

Well, if you think about it, why are jpgs and western rpgs even separated in the first place?

The very fact they had to keep one away from the other implies there's an understanding Japanese games and western games don't necessarely mix.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This is primarily an RPG website
Therefore, having separate forums for distinct sub-genres of RPG makes logical sense

It doesn't make any sense to discuss games that clearly don't fall under the category that the sub-forums exists for, just because said game comes from a specific country
Specially considering many games of equivalent genres aren't "misplaced" and end in the proper sub-forum

deuxhero

Arcane
360/PS3 has suffered from erosion of exclusives over the past 8ish years as more and more stuff got ported to PC. Here's stuff that remains exclusive to that gen

3D Dot Game Heroes
Armored Core: For Answer (4 and 5 proper are meh, Verdict Day is fine but still too MP focused)
Ex Troopers (got a translation patch recently)
Gundam Breaker 2 (Nippon only and 3 is same but better and in English)
MGS HD Collection (As mentioned, PS3 version is only really playable with an actual PS3 or PS2 controller due to pressure sensitive button crap)
360 versions of Perfect Dark and (leaked) GoldenEye (stable FPS can be done with emulator hacks for the N64 version though)
Skate trilogy
Tony Hawk's Project 8 (it's under the original 4 and Underground+THAW trilogy but worth still playing)
SoulCalibur II HD
Dragon's Crown
Demon's Souls (remake is shit, private servers restore online)

Last edited:
For everyone else Drakengard 3 is exclusive to the PS3. It does not run very well but story wise it is pretty much on par with the first Drakengard.

Best PS3 exclusive hands down. Plus, RPCS3 is definitive edition because of 60 fps patch and NO slowdowns, which were terrible on real PS3.

Puukko

Arcane
Drakengard 3 is worthwhile if you're invested in Nier/Yoko Taro's works. Even then I have a friend who liked 1/2 but couldn't stand 3. It's a flawed series with standout qualities that may or may not make the rest palatable.

I couldn't get the fps patch working no matter what. :argh:

Derringer

Prophet
I wanted to try out the Mistwalker games even if Blue Dragon isn't all that good.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Drakengard 3 is worthwhile if you're invested in Nier/Yoko Taro's works. Even then I have a friend who liked 1/2 but couldn't stand 3. It's a flawed series with standout qualities that may or may not make the rest palatable.

I couldn't get the fps patch working no matter what. :argh:
giphy.gif

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Condemned 2 took everything wrong with the first game and dialed it up to 11, I’m amazed anyone looks back on it fondly. Going from mostly mundane and gritty to wtf supernatural just didn’t work for me at all. Focusing more on the overpowered guns with “shooting galleries” and rushing to setpiece moments also didn’t help. Monolith seemed to often misunderstand what worked in a game when working on their next project/sequels, idk. If C3 got made it probably would have been even more focused on multiplayer with a barebones sp/co-op campaign

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Been meaning to try out Folklore for PS3 (haven't seen it mentioned), looks quite peculiar from what I've seen.

Also Operation Darkness for X360 seems interesting, but apparently it's shit.

PS360 managed to get some really peculiar exclusive games back in their time. Sure, it's not on gen 5-6 level, but you look at the gen 8-9 debacle. Now you can play almost any console game on PC, and consoles themselves have become nothing more than castrated PCs - same games, worse experience.

Last edited:

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Well, where did you want me to post a question like this? We don't have a general japofag console sub-forum, this is the only one.
Definition of General:
1: involving, applicable to, or affecting the whole
2: involving, relating to, or applicable to every member of a class, kind, or group
the general equation of a straight line
3: not confined by specialization or careful limitation
a general outline
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/general

Suggestion to move the thread to General Gaming for better forum thread organization/order.

As far as the Eternal Sonata RPCS3 compatiblity question, I messed around a little bit with it and was able to finish at least the first boss. At some point, I believe after I accessed the non-combat items menu, the the game became muted and then soft-locked shortly thereafter. I haven't played around with it much beyond that, but if it's only accessing the item menu that causes the soft-locking, you could feasibly beat the game by just only messing around with items around save points and then restarting the game. Would be a mild pain in the ass, but I remember enjoying Eternal Sonata quite a bit back in the day, at least as a co-op game.

Tales of Graces F is also a pretty stellar PS3 game, probably has the best combat in the series which is really the selling point. It's one of these JRPGs where you start out as a kid, but I've been playing it co-op and having a really good time. Has an involved (albiet bloated) crafting system, good action combat, a degree of customization in that titles you earn through the game stengthen your character significantly, and I personally find the cast pretty likeable.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Eternal Sonata is not worth bending over backwards to play. The gimmick of the game is it's turn based, but you get a timer that runs when you start attacking. Mash as fast as you can to get attacks, until the time runs out.

The "challenge" comes when you advance in the game, you have to start hitting different buttons to get your attacks off, then they start randomizing the buttons. So the control scheme increases in difficulty, not the enemies. It's hella gay.

Other than that, super linear, no free-roam, no world map, short, uninteresting, forgettable story. The only good things about it are the random interludes about Chopin and the decent music. I'd avoid.

Tales of Graces F is also a pretty stellar PS3 game
+1 to this. Recently replayed with NG+ and the grade bonuses, playing on Evil (one below max) difficulty still gave a crazy fun challenge, despite carrying over titles and having 3x exp rate.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Eternal Sonata is kinda shit in a lot of ways, but the art direction settles you into a cozy place and isn't low effort, even when in a "sewer level". I wish it were on steam/etc.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Lollipop Chainsaw? For the style, music and repetitive combat.
There's remake coming somewhere this year but most likely get some cuts (and I'm not talking about music only) and covering things.

Nier maybe? Some people call it "Planescape Torment of 7th generation" which is big strech, but it wasn't made from nothing. There's PC port but it depends if you want to play different protagonists - geezer in PS3 version or teenager in the remaster.

Dragon Age Origins - plays bit different in the console version, might check out of curiosity.

Call of Duty 3 - not released on PC. and it was the only one with playable Potatoes. Kinda ironic since back then Potato was still PC fortress...

Dark Souls 2, but not Scholar of the First Sin version, which was one of those "enhanced edition that makes the game worse".

Not sure which version of Deadly Premotions is best when it comes to performance and bugs.

Driver: San Francisco - after few stinkers they finally delivered. Not sure if it's playable on PC.

Folklore - investigation with monster capturing

Lost Planet 2 - campy action game, but forgettable. On PC you have to deal with GfWL garbage, same with Gears of War.

Saint's Row, first one. For some reason only on consoles. Not taken seriously but still far from absurdity of SR 3 and 4th

Siren: Blood Curse - not sure how it compares to the original

Dragon's Dogma without Dark Arisen, had different balance but is missing way better content from DA (dungeon insteand of way too big empty world to wander around for far too long)

Peter Jackson's King Kong - PC port is quite a mess and might not be possible to finish if you encounter some nasty bugs

WET - nice music and action but nothing spectacular

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As the owner of PS3 who rarely ever played it (as quickly found out console games are not for him, despite liking a few games on previous play stations) I went through the both pages of the thread and found nothing interesting. Maybe I'll give Dragengard 3 a try, it's the only game from all of you that struck some curiosity.

The only games I ever played on PS3 a bit more than a short while were basically co-op/mp games, and there were only two of them:
Tekken 6 - fun for small parties
Rayman Legends - really fun to play with gf together and have fun (but game becomes too difficult eventually, especially for casual gamers, so we never completed it)

These two I would totally recommend.

I also tried other games, such as
Far Cry 3 - banal shit boring
Killzone 2 - banal shit boring
The Last of Us - 10/10 from reviewers and gamers alike, yet for me it was banal shit boring
Assassin's Creed something - banal shit boring, the first one was way better
Red Dead Redemption - I really tried to get into it, again best game ever by reviewers and gamers, but for me banal shit boring. I liked aesthetics, but it has way too much talking.
Twisted Metal - actually one of the reasons I even bought PS3, but it was unlike the much older PC (and PS1) game (Twisted Metal 2) I played as a kid and had a lot fun with. Huge disappointment and boring.

Purchasing PS3 might have been a mistake, but at least was an alright party/couple fun thanks to two games.

Also I was disappointed it doesn't play VCDs. Could only play DVD movies (Blue-Ray movies too expensive, would rather spend that money on games), and I never had blue-ray burner for the same reason either.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Dante%27s%20Inferno.jpg

Dante's Inferno. Decent game, worth it just for the edge and art direction.

153419-the-darkness-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

The Darkness. Great game. Pretend it's a standalone and don't play the sequel.

folklore.jpg

Folklore. Pretty underrated.

81JOLxF6XUL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Sengoku Basara. It's like Dynasty Warriors but more wacky and fun.

543448-lollipop-chainsaw-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

Lollipop Chainsaw. Jame's Gun wrote it.

129602-heavenly-sword-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

Heavenly Sword. Err... she's hot?

I missed one worthy game before my PS3 died - God of War: Ascension. It is a bitch to run RCPS3, anyone managed to go beyond title screen?

yellowcake

Arcane
Maybe I'll give Dragengard 3 a try, it's the only game from all of you that struck some curiosity.

This game is a must if you liked either of two niers for their style. It is 96 fighting which was very addictive for me but then I quite enjoyed original nier fighting too.

Make sure to install DLCs and apply the hi-rez hi-fps patch.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
then it must absolutely be Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence one of the best games of that decade
I strongly support this affirmation.
Although I frankly don't see how you could run it, since some core mechanics rest upon the dualshock press sensitivity which, I believe, is impossible to properly emulate.
But if it's possible, my, this game is a must play.

Dare I precise that it's in now way an RPG though ?...

I also find the original God of War trilogy to be worth a playthrough.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe I'll give Dragengard 3 a try, it's the only game from all of you that struck some curiosity.

This game is a must if you liked either of two niers for their style. It is 96 fighting which was very addictive for me but then I quite enjoyed original nier fighting too.

Make sure to install DLCs and apply the hi-rez hi-fps patch.
I played it for a few hours but it's not for me. I don't enjoy it at all. It's probably one of the better action games for PS3, but I'm not much into such games, so meh.

That is, except GTA IV. This one is fun and I'm in the middle of the game somewhere. Way better than V or III, but not as good as VC or SA of course. Nonetheless, I think GTA IV has the best driving model of all GTAs.

Zlaja

Arcane
Saint's Row, first one. For some reason only on consoles. Not taken seriously but still far from absurdity of SR 3 and 4th

It's "not taken seriously" because not many people played it around here. Best Saint's Row, IMO.

Dante's Inferno. Decent game, worth it just for the edge and art direction

It's got some anti-christian messaging, tho. I ain't religious, but it still rubbed me the wrong way.

Don Peste

Arcane
This is what I bought on the PS Store:
rJ72JUslzaPkOzUHOT5RgNQ0GU7tCoI3.png
o5TzSrrmVOWDUQSWPfxrFKUeWDXAD4Uc.png
QltUz5AjaZrOj6GICmhZEAfaKHhjzbZ8.png
2a93ZmGMILwBAjGS4BKdidFgdtpKA9t3.png
6zt5M1BuVhgZt8baGn9307WCtXOM3GsK.png
Da44u6MqpHsOM2fjsgaraQymk92kMI65.png

And physical: Resistance, 2 & 3, Haze, Killzone 2 & 3, Uncharted 3 (it was a very cheap steelbook I got from Game in London or somewhere).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom