Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

aod lose my buisness

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
they fuck around to much and are lazy as shit, i'm not going to buy their product no matter the quality in the end.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You tell them nigger, you go ahead and tell them what exactly you're about to do

Wulfstand

Prophet
Serious_Business said:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lil_Jon_Dave_Chappelle_L_461c9a590dec5.jpg

Double Ogre

Scholar
I've been following a few threads on the ITS forums, and I've noticed that AoD has piss poor writing, sometimes it looks like an encyclopedic entry, sometimes it's just awkward and immersion breaking. Also, VD seems to be throwing in a lot of "fucks" for good measure, because, obviously, it's a very mature game. If this won't be changed until the release, I don't think I'll be interested in a purchase. Bad writing is inexcusable in a C&C heavy RPG. Also, the fact that other aspects of the game (graphics, combat, etc) are crudely done doesn't help it either.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
I wonder why on Earth he doesn't WANT to hire a professional editor. It's supposed to be a writing-heavy game, the writing should be one of the main selling points. Currently the writing is somewhat better than all of 'em cheap-labor Russian>English localizations we get (like, say, Space Rangers 2), and that's definitely not good enough. It's got the word "amateur" stamped on its forehead.

Still, getting a good editor would mean an investment of several thousand dollars for a game with this much text, and implementing the editorial feedback would mean a lot more work for VD. If the editor's any good, and is compensated appropriately, it'd take more than just one round of review. I think it'd be worth it, though. Heck, I could help look for one.

And don't get me started on the "but we already had a re-write, and you said it sucked!" thing. I bet Scott, the Cyclopean dude, was responsible for the re-write (the unnecessary verbosity of it being a dead giveaway), and seriously, it didn't fit in the least. The rewritten version completely disregarded the style that VD's going for, substituting it with something that made me make a sanity check.

Twinfalls

Erudite
OgreOgre said:
Bad writing is inexcusable in a C&C heavy RPG.

Could you show some examples from AoD of what you consider to be bad writing please? I'm curious about this, I think there's an important line to tread between improvement and preserving VD's individual style against the generic.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Twinfalls said:
OgreOgre said:

Could you show some examples from AoD of what you consider to be bad writing please? I'm curious about this, I think there's an important line to tread between improvement and preserving VD's individual style against the generic.
Honestly, if you can't see the poor writing from AOD you have no grasp on the english language and I would have to call you a fucking idiot.

:roll:

The writing is piss poor whether you would like to ignore it or not.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
kwanzabot said:
Twinfalls said:
OgreOgre said:

Honestly, if you can't see the poor writing from AOD you have no grasp on the english language and I would have to call you a fucking idiot.

Surely that should be "...the poor writing in AOD, you have no grasp of the English language".

Just sayin'.

Anyway, I do wonder if this happens in any other medium. I've never really seen anyone get so worked up over a book taking a long time to write, for example.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Bluebottle said:
kwanzabot said:
Twinfalls said:
OgreOgre said:

Surely that should be "...the poor writing in AOD, you have no grasp of the English language".

Just sayin'.

Anyway, I do wonder if this happens in any other medium. I've never really seen anyone get so worked up over a book taking a long time to write, for example.

Song of Ice and Fire.

Weren't the Combat and Game demos supposed to have been released two weeks ago or something? What happened to them?

I remember the Combat Demo originally being slated for February.

Mighty Mouse

Novice
kwanzabot said:
YIIIEEEEP ITS MOTHERFAKER MOO LOLOL NO GOOD WRITNING IN TEH GEIMZ NOOOO YIIEEEPPSS BZZZZZZ GAME IS NOT GOD BEEEEWWWW FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU LAZIE LAZIE VINCE BRRRRRRP NOT GONNA BUY DEEZ SHEET OBLIVION HAZ GOOD RITIN' BEEEEW

Fixed.

Melcar

Arcane
My guess is that something will be found to be lacking and they will decide that part of the game (or the whole game) needs to be reworked, pushing the "release" even further.

Silellak

Cipher
I think they just push the release date back a week for every post that whines about how long it's taking.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
AoD needs help in the writing.

It is too modern, simplistic, 1 dimensional, and reads like a 14 year old's writing.

There should be greater range in vocabulary appropriate to the NPC.

Vault Dweller should have revisions of his dialogue.

1. He should categorize the NPC's into groups. Highly educated, somewhat educated, and uneducated. Then go through each of there dialogues and choose more advanced vocabulary/less cuss words for the highly educated and work down to simpler dialogue for the uneducated.

2. For each important NPC in the game, make sure his vocabulary and style match with who he is. Maybe there actually is a highly educated noble who cusses a lot.

3. Make sure each character has a personality. Not simply based on the description you give of the character, or what the character has done, but also in the way the character talks. Is he/she very jolly innkeeper, shy child, outspoken politician, witty wise man, dim witted sailor, rambling government official, a straightforward and dry soldier.

One cuss word goes a long way. Profanity should only be used for the sake of understanding, or getting to know an NPC. Authors rarely use profanity because there are usually more descriptive and better ways to express a character than "fuck".

If you are going to use "fuck", use it extremely sparingly, because one "fuck" goes a long way. Especially since we aren't used to seeing it in writing. One "fuck" would stay with you for the entire course of a dialogue with an NPC.

obediah

Erudite
vazquez595654 said:
AoD needs help in the writing.

It is too modern, simplistic, 1 dimensional, and reads like a 14 year old's writing.

There should be greater range in vocabulary appropriate to the NPC.

Vault Dweller should have revisions of his dialogue.

1. He should categorize the NPC's into groups. Highly educated, somewhat educated, and uneducated. Then go through each of there dialogues and choose more advanced vocabulary/less cuss words for the highly educated and work down to simpler dialogue for the uneducated.

2. For each important NPC in the game, make sure his vocabulary and style match with who he is. Maybe there actually is a highly educated noble who cusses a lot.

3. Make sure each character has a personality. Not simply based on the description you give of the character, or what the character has done, but also in the way the character talks. Is he/she very jolly innkeeper, shy child, outspoken politician, witty wise man, dim witted sailor, rambling government official, a straightforward and dry soldier.

One cuss word goes a long way. Profanity should only be used for the sake of understanding, or getting to know an NPC. Authors rarely use profanity because there are usually more descriptive and better ways to express a character than "fuck".

If you are going to use "fuck", use it extremely sparingly, because one "fuck" goes a long way. Especially since we aren't used to seeing it in writing. One "fuck" would stay with you for the entire course of a dialogue with an NPC.

That all sounds nice, but if I were AoD I'd invoke the Bioware excuse. "That's real nice, but it would take a fuckload of time to implement that we'd rather spend on stuff we like."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom