Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AOD Release Date and the nature of Indie Projects

bat_boro

Arcane
inwoker said:
@Vault Dweller
I gotta ask you. Are voiceovers completely beyond the scope of your project? I mean not full-blown VOs but something like in PST?
Won't it be possible to VO some major lines?

I'm curious - is there an emperor in the game?
If yes - I think Patrick Steward is a must

bhlaab

Erudite
I hope it like those Half Life 2 mods where the g-man is suddenly 14 years old

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
inwoker said:
@Vault Dweller
I gotta ask you. Are voiceovers completely beyond the scope of your project? I mean not full-blown VOs but something like in PST?
Won't it be possible to VO some major lines?
Everything is possible, but I don't have time for that. We've tried it once. A small studio offered us to do voice-overs for major characters, but the quality was so-so. There wasn't much character there.

So, for us to do the voices means contacting at least 3-5 studios, taking time to explain what we need, negotiating the rates, wasting a lot of time on listening to voice samples, trying actors, discussing the "auditions" internally, giving suggestions, listening again, trying different actors, etc. Obviously, we can't afford really good voice talent, so we have to go through tens of amateurs who want to act and try to find a few who have the right voice and can do the right character. It's very time-consuming.

Monocause

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
A couple of lines on getting VA for major characters

Don't do it. You'd just waste resources and time, and it wouldn't enrich the gameplay really.

On the other hand, a narrator could be awesome. It's much easier to do since you just need someone with a deep voice and proper diction. Just imagine seeing a fallout-like death screen with a skeleton in legionnary armor, with a voice in the background "You have died - prematurely. Your name is quickly forgotten as Teron is consumed by internal conflict. Your belongings are soon taken by scavengers and all that remains of you is dust."

Melcar

Arcane
Why not do the VOs yourself in true indie fashion? Not only would it be funny, but it would add to your street creed as a mean indie mofo dude.

Why does the game need VO's at all? What is this morbid fascination with voice acting? This game is good and keeps getting better (portraits, etc.) and now you guys want to take a major step backwards and introduce VO? Fuck that. The only games that should do VO are ones produced by major studios, and they stopped doing good VOs circa 2003.

Eldritch

Scholar
Carrie Underwood said:
Why does the game need VO's at all? What is this morbid fascination with voice acting? This game is good and keeps getting better (portraits, etc.) and now you guys want to take a major step backwards and introduce VO? Fuck that. The only games that should do VO are ones produced by major studios, and they stopped doing good VOs circa 2003.

Hey Chefe, I thought you shared the exact same opinion on this game with DROG BLACK TOOTH as you expressed it with your Knightrider alt ITT.. Have you burned that bridge too or were you just trolling by spewing the exact same criticism from DROG BLACK TOOTH OGREOGRE. Tell us about your artistic approach here...

Monocause

Arcane
Carrie Underwood said:

Don't know why do you use plurals. The only one to *suggest* full-blown VO's was Inwoker. I suggested adding just a voiced narrator a la Ron Perlman; yet you go assaulting some unidentified guys for demanding VO's. Go figure.

It was directed at inwoker and vo's in general. A narrator wouldn't be bad, but I don't see why it should be included, especially since they've spent so long on the game anyways and probably don't have the funds to hire someone good. No nevermind, a narrator would be out of place if there was no other vo in the game.

Eldritch said:
Carrie Underwood said:

Hey Chefe, I thought you shared the exact same opinion on this game with DROG BLACK TOOTH as you expressed it with your Knightrider alt ITT.. Have you burned that bridge too or were you just trolling by spewing the exact same criticism from DROG BLACK TOOTH OGREOGRE. Tell us about your artistic approach here...

Bridge burnt.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
New ones added.

gaelius2.jpg
Lord Gaelius, named after his glorious ancestor, was the 27th Lord of House Aurelian. The glorious ancestor had enough foresight to pull out his legions from the war when the Empire started crumbling and take over several cities, establishing a new dominion. This foresight was never properly appreciated by other Houses, and House Aurelian had to spend considerable resources to keep its enemies at bay. When Gaelius took the reigns, the House no longer had enough troops to fight aggressive wars on several fronts, which left him with only one weapon - diplomacy. In two decades Gaelius restored the weakened balance of power by masterfully playing his enemies against each other and preventing them from combining their efforts to topple his House.

meru2.jpg
Lord Meru was a man of faith. His faith, discovered in the depths of Castle Ganezzar, changed Meru completely. Meru had lost interest in the power struggles and focused on the spiritual state of the world, calling for worship and restoration of the gods. Some said it was a weakness born out of fear to lead. Others said it was the wisdom to see what nobody else could. After Meru crucified many of the local doubters, his wisdom was no longer questioned.

bhlaab

Erudite
obviously just photos with a couple photoshop filters thrown in. i could do that. anybody could do that. i could do it.

Monocause

Arcane
bhlaab said:
obviously just photos with a couple photoshop filters thrown in. i could do that. anybody could do that. i could do it.

Then do it and show the results.

Even if it's just a PS-job, as it looks like, it's a pretty darn good job.

Vault Dweller

Developer
These are not photoshopped photos, you tards. Do you not understand what portraits are?

"A portrait is a painting of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person."

If we wanted 'shopped photos, Oscar would have done it a long time ago.

Melcar

Arcane
You should add some historical figures to your shopped portraits. Mussolini would make a cool mafioso type character.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Actually, the full quote from Wikipedia is:

"A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant."

A portrait is not necessary a painting.

The main reason people think they're photoshopped though is because they look really good for the short time it took to make them.

bhlaab

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
These are not photoshopped photos, you tards. Do you not understand what portraits are?

"A portrait is a painting of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. The intent is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person."

If we wanted 'shopped photos, Oscar would have done it a long time ago.

I was joking, faggo

Vault Dweller

Developer
FeelTheRads said:
Actually, the full quote from Wikipedia is:

"A portrait is a painting, photograph, sculpture, or other artistic representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant."

A portrait is not necessary a painting.
Context? Assuming these are not photographs, but painted portraits based on actual people.

The main reason people think they're photoshopped though is because they look really good for the short time it took to make them.
Because everyone here is an expert and knows how long it should take? I sent the artist descriptions and reference pictures 6 days ago. Do you think a professional artist (he is a professional artist) can do two portraits in 6 days?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Professional artists can do stuff like that pretty quickly. I know people who do this for a living, so I don't see how the speed of creation could mean that those are photoshopped photos.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Because everyone here is an expert and knows how long it should take? I sent the artist descriptions and reference pictures 6 days ago. Do you think a professional artist (he is a professional artist) can do two portraits in 6 days?

That level of realism is not easy to achieve, so an honest congratulation to your artist. Still, something is irking me (could be envy), how big are the original paintings?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom