Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AOD Release Date and the nature of Indie Projects

BearBomber

Scholar

>>>The character card looks more simmilar to fallout that to anything ales. To bo honest I've never seen that kind of simmilarity between the character sheets in 2 systems before. I'm referring to what is present at the sheet (refered to system) not to actual design. They both (AoD, and Fallout cards) look radically different than WFRPG or DnD cards.

If anything, the stats are identical to DnD, not Fallout.

>>>DnD doesn't have perception. There is wisdom that it also simmilar to perception.

The word you are looking for is skill-based. And no, Fallout wasn't the first skill-based game.
You described a generic AP system. And no, Fallout wasn't the first game featuring turn-based combat with action points.

>>>I don't know many pre-fallout tactical games so let's say that I belive that that kind of system was a trend some time ago and has nothing to do with Fallout. I'll have to check how does the roll look like in both games after the release of AoD. Simmilar mechanics seems to be standard in that industry.

The rules are completely different. For example, we don't have armor class. That alone changes a lot of things. Awesome? Y/N?

Y

Anyway, that's the combat system. You also mentioned that the game is copied from Fallout. Care to elaborate?

>>>The sentence was: Game and combat systems. I was referring to game system and combat system to distinguish between character creation, and skill checks, and the actual combat.

bhlaab

Erudite
BearBomber said:

>>>The character card looks more simmilar to fallout that to anything ales. To bo honest I've never seen that kind of simmilarity between the character sheets in 2 systems before. I'm referring to what is present at the sheet (refered to system) not to actual design. They both (AoD, and Fallout cards) look radically different than WFRPG or DnD cards.

>>>DnD doesn't have perception. There is wisdom that it also simmilar to perception.

The word you are looking for is skill-based. And no, Fallout wasn't the first skill-based game.
You described a generic AP system. And no, Fallout wasn't the first game featuring turn-based combat with action points.

>>>I don't know many pre-fallout tactical games so let's say that I belive that that kind of system was a trend some time ago and has nothing to do with Fallout. I'll have to check how does the roll look like in both games after the release of AoD. Simmilar mechanics seems to be standard in that industry.

The rules are completely different. For example, we don't have armor class. That alone changes a lot of things. Awesome? Y/N?

Y

Anyway, that's the combat system. You also mentioned that the game is copied from Fallout. Care to elaborate?

>>>The sentence was: Game and combat systems. I was referring to game system and combat system to distinguish between character creation, and skill checks, and the actual combat.

quote rebuke post

Who cares, the fact that it's a fallout "ripoff" is the reason why I want to play it

BearBomber

Scholar
bhlaab said:
BearBomber said:

Y

quote rebuke post

Who cares, the fact that it's a fallout "ripoff" is the reason why I want to play it

When I looked at the screens it looked very simmilar to Fallout, and if you want to be a famous codex poster you have to post everything about everything.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=924.0
Game is getting a lot of character portraits added now.
antidas2.jpg

"I'm Commander Shepherd, argh rarh argh!" *grabs collar* :wink:
The artist, who is a Codex resident...
So which of you guys is the artist, they look nice.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Whoah, that are really excellent portraits! They reach the level of those in the infinity-engine games..

Voodoo Daddy

Novice
Those portraits are excellent. The whole game looks excellent.

When I look at the character sheet and the skills it really reminds me more of Daggerfall than Fallout.

And when is being similar to Fallout a bad thing?

"DnD doesn't have perception. There is wisdom that it also simmilar to perception. "

JESUS CHRIST NO!!!!!!!!

"I'll have to check how does the roll look like in both games after the release of AoD."

I await with baited breath!

"To bo honest I've never seen that kind of simmilarity between the character sheets in 2 systems before."

You must be new to cRPGs. Oh yea, WHO CARES IF CHARACTER SHEETS LOOK SIMILAR?!

"I just think that fresh system would be much better."

Crap. No more innovation! I'm sick and tired of innovation! Is there something wrong with just wanting a logical progression of game mechanics based on classic gaming systems?

Double Ogre

Scholar
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 285#807285
Kos_Koa said:
Vault Dweller said:
If a good portrait artist shows up tomorrow, I'll take extra time to do 30-40 portraits and ask Oscar to change the interface to fit them in. Why? Because I didn't find a good artist before and I think that good portraits will improve the game.
In order to further delay AoD and to keep the codex in a perpetual state of chaos, if character portraits are on your list, I'm sure I can be of service.
Hmm...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Those are really good portraits though. Once more are posted it will be time for DarkUnderlord to update the avatars again. :)

Double Ogre

Scholar
These portraits may be too good though. They're obviously going to clash with the rest of the art.

Fat Dragon said:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=924.0
Game is getting a lot of character portraits added now.
antidas2.jpg

"I'm Commander Shepherd, argh rarh argh!" *grabs collar* :wink:
The artist, who is a Codex resident...
So which of you guys is the artist, they look nice.

Titus Pullo?

Jora

Arcane
OgreOgre said:
These portraits may be too good though. They're obviously going to clash with the rest of the art.

Obviously. I mean, they may be, but they obviously will.

Melcar

Arcane
I don't know. Maybe if they add a bit more light colors to the portraits it may better fit the interface, or darken the interface a bit. Hmm, I wonder if this adds 5 more years to the dev. cycle.

BearBomber

Scholar
And when is being similar to Fallout a bad thing?

>>>When does reading became forgotten skill?

JESUS CHRIST NO!!!!!!!!

>>>You are a faggot, sad but true.

You must be new to cRPGs. Oh yea, WHO CARES IF CHARACTER SHEETS LOOK SIMILAR?!

>>>I care.

Crap. No more innovation! I'm sick and tired of innovation! Is there something wrong with just wanting a logical progression of game mechanics based on classic gaming systems?

>>>How can you be tired of innovation? In this genre there hasn't been any innovation for years, only decline and people who tries to stop it.

On a topic: I can't help it. AoD and Fallout looks as simmilar as Diablo and any of it's clones. I don't state that it's something bad, and I'm also looking forward to the AoD Release, so AoD fanboys can hopefully STFU and don't behave like typical Biowhore fangott.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Well done. What about some female portraits?

They look so good that everything else looks like shit. Congrats. (insert smilie so people don`t take it seriously)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom