Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apparently a standalone Dota is in beta

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
afshshsdafasdfjsdafjfdajfdajhdafjadhjdafjdfjadfj

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I know, it's horrible. I want to pick a disabler because we need one so bad but then nobody is around to do anything while you disable. Or if they are around they use the chance to run the fuck away. The last game I was in had some retard on voicechat screaming at us to back off while we had 4 of us (He was the only one dead) in their base with the tower down raxxing. RAGE.

GthrustBaby

Novice
A team of nukers and disablers that have any sort of coordination and teamwork will always dominate.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah we just discovered that.
Death Prophet (me) 17-0
Enigma 8-2
Lina 4-1
Leshrac 12-1
Maiden 3-3

hahaha

The best part was, one of our teammates from a previous game, who failed hard then accused us all of sucking, was on the enemy team. As was a Madman. SO satisfying

Damned Registrations

The game badly needs some harrassing heroes like drow, silencer, tinker, lich, etc. Right now the only heroes that have great lane control early run out of gas completely late game. They need some orb walkers and spam happy nukers to fight against all the carry heroes out there. Axe might work for the melees at least, maybe I'll give him a try. But really, next they're adding PotM, Spectre, Sand King and QoP. And some undetailed 'new heroes', which will probably be even more invis whores. They should add some new anti-invis item, if only temporarily while they get a real roster together.

It seems I was wrong about the bloodstone being changed, it was just a one time glitch. Got it up to 5 charges last game no problem. I noticed they nerfed Enigma in the porting though. His stun hits fewer times and for shorter duration each hit, and the creeps are a lot weaker. They're also not magic immune anymore, so they suck at harassing now, since you can just AoE blast them and rake in the free gold/xp. Still good for tower breaking at least (Probably better than before, since nothing seems to have a damage type now.) But crap at everything else. Losing an entire hit off his stun really hurts him though, that's a big chunk of damage and slow on every level.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah there's a distinct lack of heroes like Lion in the game with lots of disables, and nukes that disable. Sand King is getting put into the game and you can bet that I'm going to be playing him.

Zeus and Death Prophet are MUCH better than in dota because first of all DP has her old pre-nerf abilities and secondly they both have much improved attack animations and projectiles. Crystal Maiden's aura is also pre-nerf so she's a free mana fountain.

Damned Registrations

kingcomrade said:
Yeah there's a distinct lack of heroes like Lion in the game with lots of disables, and nukes that disable. Sand King is getting put into the game and you can bet that I'm going to be playing him.

Zeus and Death Prophet are MUCH better than in dota because first of all DP has her old pre-nerf abilities and secondly they both have much improved attack animations and projectiles. Crystal Maiden's aura is also pre-nerf so she's a free mana fountain.

Do her ghosts get fucked by vanguard in HoN? I remember that pissing me off about her and Rhasta in DotA. Having your ult totally shut down by a cheap +life item really sucks. Leshrac's machinegun suffers from it too, but he's got plenty of other damage to go for anyways.

The number of heroes with high magic resist isn't helping the swam of agi heroes situation. Arachna, Magina, and Predator can all basically just ignore the int nukers midgame onward. That should really be the domain of str heroes their damage can't scale to.

As someone who knows nothing about this -- is it pure multiplayer, or is there some kind of campaign? Any story / lore to speak of, or just War 3 translations?

Damned Registrations

No singleplayer right now. Dunno if they plan to add one. It's completely divorced for WC3 lore and the original DotA characters flavour wise. I'm not detecting any real plot themes though. Theres the bad guys and the puppy kicking bad guys, and they both have armies of completely random ass heroes with abilities of all sorts. Most of the heroes seem to be the only one of their race in the game.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
No singleplayer, but there should be. Got killed a lot in my first games and I still don't know my way around all those items/recipes. Would be nice to have possibility to play with all heroes, items with mobs for testing.

By the way - how long HON has been in beta?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
DAMN RED IS NUB
NUB AXE
NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUB

lol

For future reference, on Axe go Hood of Defiance Blink Dagger Bottle Phase Boots, not whatever you were getting.

That was a pretty fair game, but we had a leaver and we had no disables except for your call (which you did not get, instead getting worthless battle hunger)

Avu

Liturgist
When the hell are you guys on? Are you all going to some esoteric place like irc to set up games or what?

Damned Registrations

I had call too, I don't level whirl on Axe, it barely improves. I just couldn't use it worth a fuck cause brown left, so every team fight was grip > stun > stun > stun > dead axe. After that you all had squishy casters.

Hunger works well early on, it has crazy range and high damage if it lasts. Either kills runners or stops them from running. I should have gotten bottle though, they had no melee so having whirl at all was pretty pointless, and vanguard even more so. I was trying to get blink for a while then realized it was pointless since even if I taunted them we had no nukes or stuns to follow it up. At best they'd get hit with a wave and silence, maybe half with poison.

Just had another 2 games with leavers. They need to change the no leaver flag to ban everyone with more than like 5% disconnect, not 50% or whatever shit it's at right now.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Avu said:
When the hell are you guys on? Are you all going to some esoteric place like irc to set up games or what?
Generally around noon US time and then later in the day around 7-9. My friends and I usually play one or two games, then go back to normal Dota.

I had call too, I don't level whirl on Axe, it barely improves.
Doesn't matter. Axe does not have the mana pool to support 2 active skills. You want to save all your mana for calling and culling. The relatively small damage increase is better than you think, and the reduced cooldown even more so.

Just go Hood instead of Vanguard, as well. Axe gets something like 20 armor when he calls, a stout shield is fine. What he needs to worry about is nukes. Hood also gives more armor and regen and can be built in the lane from the side shops.

Damned Registrations

Just had a game as electrician. He's undoubtably the most powerful tank in DotA or Hon. Manashield seems to lose mana based on damage after armor now, so it lasts much longer, you can purge crap like Abba's ult, and that fucking grip has a decent range and very short cooldown. The only issue he has is purge's range is kinda short. If I hadn't been so strapped for cash I'd have gotten phase boots.

Edit: Last one was on the new map as Arachna. I like the new map. Much smaller, so less time spent legging it around towards a gank that fizzles because everyone took too long to assemble. The hero is pretty freaking nasty, at least vs melee heroes. Not sure how she'd fare against someone like soulstealer, but vs a melee hero you can pretty much kite them. If they have their own slow to catch up to you you can just pop carapace to remove it. Also removes hermorrage, making bloodhunter a joke. At level 3 it already added enough magic resist to bring me to about 60%. I think level 4 adds enough extra that it'd be around 75-80%. So she can obviously rape casters too. I went for the frostwolf orb to see if it'd stack with the webshot and it does, to brutal effect. During teamabattles I was easily able to keep all 3 enemies slowed while staying out of melee range except when they blinked onto me. The webshot itself isn't self stacking like it says, but it's such a massive slow to begin with that it doesn't really matter. She's also a fiend to lane against. I basically just walked over and incessantly shot the poor bastard opposite me till he ran home to heal every time he showed up. They need to crank up the manacost on the shot by about 200% I think. The boss on the new map dropped a cool item too: an improved anti-invis gem that also sees past trees, radius 900. Still drops on death, but very nice toy for a ranged hero, or hunting in jungle. Her ult I basically just used as a poison shot. It apparently spawns a spiderling to poison thing that attacks 4 times for a lot of damage, but I was generally too busy to pay it any attention.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Zeus and DP are really good now (I mean, more than before) because now they dont have shitty attack animations.

I have tried the faerie chick twice and I really like her, however I've only played her in -em (what my friends all play) where she very quickly becomes pretty useless.

I think in AP games she can be an insane healer and ganker, especially if she has someone who can stun/slow/disable for her to make sure her bomb hits.

That bomb is one of the coolest new effects in the game, I think. Probably because of the sound effect. She also farms like a fucking monster.

It's too bad nobody plays any teamwork or combos, she sucks if she's just trying to solo an enemy hero while a disabler is busy farming neutrals 5 feet away.

Draconis

Liturgist
Concede is the dumbest idea ever, people keep conceding after 5 minutes in the game if it's going slightly bad for them.

Damned Registrations

DP just raped my team. It seems like the ghosts move faster or something, and they REALLY rape the buildings, which don't resist non seige stuff in this AFAIK. Magebane kept fucking me up with his ult too. I was torturer and decided (stupidly) to see what the staff did for my ult. + 33 dmg/sec. Out of 144. Wee. Also gave me a mana pool of about 2k, which I kept emptying trying to defend our base since Chen was too busy gathering new creeps and protecting the few he had. Madman was our carry but he couldn't really stand up to Magebane + Moon Queen + Jereziah. They had a shitty puppetmaster too, but we had a shitty Chen+Pudge. Even when he did make a hook shot he didn't rot in time after it and he never used his ult when other people were around to finish someone off for him.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
2 day s till my internet resets and i can download this :)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Draconis said:
Concede is the dumbest idea ever, people keep conceding after 5 minutes in the game if it's going slightly bad for them.
No, it's not. If people are conceding after 5 minutes maybe you should play against people around your own skill level?

Anyways. They put in PotM. And buffed her. Probably the best hero in the game, and they decided she needed a buff. Leap now also gives a +attack speed bonus, and her ultimate, jesus christ, is now a permanent 7 second invisibility for her whole team. You can attack, cast, whatever, doesn't break invis. They took an okay escape skill and turned it into a "oh your dust is on cooldown/don't happen to have any that's cool you die"

GthrustBaby

Novice
kingcomrade said:
Draconis said:
No, it's not. If people are conceding after 5 minutes maybe you should play against people around your own skill level?

Anyways. They put in PotM. And buffed her. Probably the best hero in the game, and they decided she needed a buff. Leap now also gives a +attack speed bonus, and her ultimate, jesus christ, is now a permanent 7 second invisibility for her whole team. You can attack, cast, whatever, doesn't break invis. They took an okay escape skill and turned it into a "oh your dust is on cooldown/don't happen to have any that's cool you die"

Arrow has a 25 second cooldown

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom