Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcade lords help me rediscover a cheat/glitch in Shadow over Mystara

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Generic-Giant-Spider

Okay this is random but it came into my memory today after reminiscing with a friend earlier about the GOOD OL DAYZ of arcades and how much money we wasted on various games. Eventually the topic came to D&D: Shadow over Mystara which we both played a metric shitload of whenever it was available. Great game. It was basically two arcade cabinets put side to side, the one I played on may have been a retouched Tower of Doom one I can't remember but it was big enough to kill an entire playground of children.

Anyways, I remember back in the day while waiting for turns or just sitting there drinking a Coke I'd watch this group of Asian teens play SOM and they would always have this glitch or cheat activated. I have no idea what the fuck hocus-pocus they did, they never spoke English, and even if they did I get the feeling they'd be dicks about it since they were insular little fucks. Here's what I can vaguely recall from memory:

-It may have had something to do with the "name your character" screen. They had some way they would be able to run the timer up a couple seconds by hitting some combination of buttons or having some special name selected, I genuinely don't know. I do know they could run the timer up though.

-The big thing about this glitch/cheat is they'd be completely invincible to just about everything in the game. Regular attacks, magic attacks, I'm not sure about instant death like the dragonfire but anything else they'd never die to. The most health I'd see them lose is maybe like 20% of their lifebar before it refused to budge. I assume, again, this health loss only occurs because they need to have done something in the "name your character" screen to make their character invincible so they likely got smacked up until that screen came up.

-Another big thing is I'm pretty sure picking up some items would completely crash the game. The one I remember most was the Orb. If somebody picked it up then the screen would suddenly go into this teal/greenish color and hang there until it was reset by the people in control of the arcade. This made the owners hate these Asians by the way and after a few months told them to fuck off.

Does anybody know how to replicate this?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I looked it up and found something about a Jared Bug.

http://feito.sakura.ne.jp/DDSOM.htm
http://pinkishsuger13.web.fc2.com/jared.html

Apparently you choose the Fighter class, get to the naming screen and choose the default name of Jared (in Japanese it has 6 letters so it maxes out the name characters, so I guess in English you'd choose a different 6 character name). Then press "A" 34 times. Then input another 6 characters. The press "A" 34 times again. Depending on what 6 characters you inputted you will get a different item. Each time you do this the timer will reset. So it's some kind of memory writing bug. So this way you can get every end-game super powered item right at the beginning.

I think if you then pick up an item that you got through this glitch, the game will bug out.

https://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Lost_In_Translation/Dungeons_&_Dragons_-_Shadow_Over_Mystara

There's also a similar bug listed here.

Supposedly only works on the first versions of the game though.

Generic-Giant-Spider

That looks almost exactly like I remember it, I had a suspicion it involved the naming screen but no clue what the actual method was. Apparently this wasn't in the "Revision 2" of the game they released which I'm guessing is the one they have released in Chronicles and Collection so short of a MAME ROM looks like I can't fuck around with it in the usual ports. What's weird is I don't remember Jared/Gold Fighter being used by these Asians, they mostly used Elf/Mage/Dwarf and Thief unless there's some way to switch off to said desired character.

Edit: Nevermind, I see it works with other six lettered character names if said character has it. Well that solves that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom