Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Noob

Educated
So I bought Arcanum finally, but now I have to ask about the patches. I patched to the latest official, but after glancing through the massive changelog at the top of this forum for the unofficial patch I'm wondering if this is something I *need*.

I'm not a huge fan of change for the sake of change and I used the more 'pure' Bloodlines patch. However from the sounds of things this patch tries to mostly fix key problems, not add too much content.

So if you were recommending Arcanum to a new player, would you recommend this patch?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This patch is just doing two things: fixing issues, and adding content that was originally intended to be put in by the developers but didn't make it into the game because of a lack of time.

So, you should use that patch. And it removes the CD-check, too, so you can play without the CD in your drive.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's actually opposed to "add for the sake of adding". Drog doesn't want to add anything that would feel non-fitting to the gameworld, and he tries to include only things that the developers wanted to includebut didn't have the time to finish. It's first and foremost a patch that fixes bugs and adds a bit of cut-out content.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
One thing that was taken out of the official patches that I wanted back in was the inability to sleep in a city or town wherever you wanted. You had to get a room or the guards would wake you up.

Quilty

Magister
Major_Blackhart said:
One thing that was taken out of the official patches that I wanted back in was the inability to sleep in a city or town wherever you wanted. You had to get a room or the guards would wake you up.

Yeah, I wanted that too.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Dont get me wrong, it was annoying a bit (especially when I first started playing the game) but it only added to the world of that game. Honestly, I didn't even care really. For one week straight when I first started playing the game, I friggin dreamt about it for a damn week straight. It was on my mind constantly. Love that game. Love that world. Very atmospheric, especially with the music.

Black

Arcane
Another Arcanum noob question. I can't record vids from Arcanum. I tried Fraps and Game Cam. Halp!

Educated
Hmm, seems I can't without a utility like D3Dwindower.

Does anyone use the "fullscreen" mode? I'm noticing the message window goes away far too quickly even on the slowest setting and occasionally comes up blank. Is this mode too buggy to bother with?

sabishii

Arbiter
I was an Arcanum noob last week, but I beat the game yesterday so a noob I am no longer! I just read about how xp works, though, which pisses me off because I played as a diplomat (3 followers) AND as a summoner (3 demons and a familiar). I guess people are usually closer to 50 by the end of the game - I was level 31 and I did most of the sidequests!

I originally used D3Dwindower when I tried to start playing the game a year or two ago and it was fine. For some reason when I tried it last week it bogged down my system like mad, so I decided not to use it. I only had maybe 3-4 crashes from Alt-Tab and I definitely used it a lot, so it was no big problem for me.

I did use "fullscreen mode" but for combat and for those message windows I would just hit "M" (or any other hotkey that brings up the interface) to bring it back to "normal mode" for however long I needed it.

Black

Arcane
sabishii said:
I was an Arcanum noob last week, but I beat the game yesterday so a noob I am no longer!

You probably didn't do the Ancient gods of Arcanum quest so you're still a noob. BLEEEH!

Texas Red

Whiner
Did you guys know that you can use a fate point to unlock the ancient chest in the Tarant museum?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
No. Thanks for telling. I think it's the first worthwhile post on the Codex containing words "fate" and "unlock" :D

Texas Red

Whiner
Gragt said:
Dark Individual said:
Did you guys know that you can use a fate point to unlock the ancient chest in the Tarant museum?

You can also get a key for it.

Never got it. Then again, I only finished Arcanum once and missed a lot of stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom