Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Arcanum Underworld: Ultima Underworld-inspired pitch document for unmade Arcanum sequel

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
The problem with bloodlines wasn't the gameplay, it was the rushed and lazy content from the assault on the hunter hideous onwards, was like a completely different game.

It didn't have bad gameplay, but wasn't anything to write home about in my opinion. When I remember Planescape:Torment I think about the story, Dark Souls is the Gameplay, Bloodlines the Atmosphere. And that sewer level, especially as a Ventrue.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
LOL

I'm the best worst person. The Ruskies are going to hate me again.

But it's worth it. I mean seriously, the guy's been hoarding this since 2011, what the fuck, it's not like this document is some state secret.

Circle of Eight hoarding the editor from the Polish version of ToEE was much worse because that wasn't even shared in semi-confidence.

The problem with bloodlines wasn't the gameplay,

Bloodlines's gameplay was awful. To quote Josh Sawyer, even Oblivion's was better.

Vociferon

Novice
He cannot use then name or setting, because unfortunately Activision owns the rights to Arcanum.

But that doesn't answer my question. Did he ever comment on his willingness to get back to Arcanum or do something in the similar vein? I know it's been 15 years but still...

Btw, though Activision holds the IP and I know that GOG had to make a deal with them just so they could publish it, it's not like they can make a fortune with Arcanum. I don't think the IP rights can cost all that much...how likely is that Tim buys them back? Or somebody else (Fargo)? Was there any interest expressed for that in the past few years?

On an unrelated note, does anyone know who holds the rights to Nox? EA?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But that doesn't answer my question. Did he ever comment on his willingness to get back to Arcanum or do something in the similar vein? I know it's been 15 years but still...

Btw, though Activision holds the IP and I know that GOG had to make a deal with them just so they could publish it, it's not like they can make a fortune with Arcanum. I don't think the IP rights can cost all that much...how likely is that Tim buys them back? Or somebody else (Fargo)? Was there any interest expressed for that in the past few years?

On an unrelated note, does anyone know who holds the rights to Nox? EA?

Activision is a company of sharks, if they see any interest in something they own, they'll never sell it.

They would license it though. They wouldn't pay any money towards its development, but if someone wants to pay them to make a game in the Arcanum setting, I doubt they'd object.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Yeah, when I said I wish it did get made, I mean early 2000s. Modern fags devs are too much PC;faggots to deliver good writing;design nowadays. Maybe someone from eastern or southern europe.

Tzarpunk

puppyonastik

Augur
Whalepunk

dishonored-2013-09-10-11-23-04-14.png

Edit: The Whale oil was what powered everything instead of petrol in dishonored; as well as the whales themselves being heavily connected to the Outsider. Whale Bone runes. Etc.
http://dishonored.wikia.com/wiki/Whale_Oil

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'd like to see them work on a turnbased steam punk game. But they won't.
I'd like to see a good steam punk RPG put into production, be it FPS or Turn Based or whatever.
But it won't.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Arcanum was the height of the whole steampunk genre. I loved the melancholy depiction of the industrial revolution in Arcanum as nature and magic begin to fade away. The setting was lovingly crafted by extremely intelligent people who put lots of thought into the world. I don't trust anyone else to make a steampunk game as it is an otherwise insufferable genre that attracts the worst kind of faggotry.

gaussgunner

Arcane
the size and power of those spells is basically limitless once we’ve moved into 3-D. A summoned Water Elemental could look just like flowing water, leaving behind puddles when it walks

3-D, mmmmkay. Still not easy in 2015. Burn half of your kickstarter $$$ on amazing 3D elementals, then pad out the rest of the game with recycled 15 year old bitmap sprites and mmo style rainbow-explosion spell effects. Finish 10% of the gameplay and, fuck it, release it as a f2p mmo.

Joined: Jul 21, 2015 ...I'll just put that in my .sig and save jaesun the trouble :lol:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I don't get Steampunk, I find it an overly forced setting any time I have seen it.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This would have been a complete disaster, and like Bloodlines still talked about in 2015.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom