Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArcanumAlive Project - Check out new website!

Double Ogre

Scholar
Mikayel said:
Kinda reminds me of Drog's first few months here...
A few months? The first version of the UAP was released the next day after the thread was started.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Oh, that. The way you worded it ("but he actually delivered in the end") was a bit misleading.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I do not want to piss in your boots Crypton, but a project such as this is no joke, especially for a single developer with no extensive game engine programming experience. Many engine updates have been tried over the years on many rpg-s and usually they barely reach a status where they can display levels properly. Take a look at GemRB and FIFE for more successful attempts, but even these still have a loong way to go before coming out with anything remotely close to being playable by an average Joe.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can't believe people took this seriously. It's never gonna fucking happen. Don't get your hopes up.

denizsi

Arcane
FIX COMBAT

Combat in Arcanum can not be fixed. The whole game is full of silly grinding so it's broken on a deeper level. If combat alone wasn't as it is, I don't know how I could get myself to finish the game even once, much less try again with a different character.

Biges

Novice
People, people!

Let's not be pesimistic!

It is easy to say "it will not happen", "it is too difficult" etc., but with that attitude it discourages Crypton and other people. I mean is it so difficult to just support the guy? What worse could happen? That the project will not be finished?

Biges

Novice
Crypton said:
Biges said:
That's a great news!
I'm looking forward to see results! And if I see them, I'm willing to donate some money :)

Hehe :P good point, I've completely forgot about donation :D but I'll be much happier if somebody will be able to provide hosting or create website... this can be called as "donation" too right ?:P

Yes, I thought of that, but I think that for the starty even a free hosting will do. You just basically need an info page with a link to the thread.

And you surely should be willing to spend some cash on the domain itselft - .com, .eu and likely domains are really cheap ;)

Crypton

Novice
OgreOgre said:
Oh, that. The way you worded it ("but he actually delivered in the end") was a bit misleading.

I see that you are cowardly hiding yourself behind different nickname... I see that you are TA folk, one of them who messed up my thread there, so its really childish that you've started here too... What you do ? sitting on chair, doing nothing, arguing with yourself ?

Also we all know why you said "the infamous Ruskie community", thats because you've started to stealing their stuff from their forum and started to releasing that as yours at TA. Next thing, your "Locked and trashed." post is pretty arrogant and childish...

Your words cant change anything, look what I've done in one month, and what you've did ? nothing...

EDIT: Look at this thread: http://forums.arcanumclub.ru/index.php? ... 5507&st=70

At the moment, there's not much about his work to be impressed of. He got the basics of the map format, but the most impressive part of his work, the actual art format parser, is not his own. The source code for the fan made art editor (ArtView) has been freely available for a long time. In Delphi.

You are saying that "art format parser, is not his own", and I'm saying that you are idiot because I've researched Art format by myself...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Biges said:
People, people!

Let's not be pesimistic!

It is easy to say "it will not happen", "it is too difficult" etc., but with that attitude it discourages Crypton and other people. I mean is it so difficult to just support the guy? What worse could happen? That the project will not be finished?

Thanks for support! and you've described exacly what most of 'unhappy' members do...

I'm going to finish this project, no matter what Drog Black Tooth or anybody else says ;)

Dr.Bloodmoney

Novice
It's a good project idea, even if it's going to be tough, I wish you my best.
One thing though: one of the point of reimplementing a game engine is to make the game available natively on platform where it wasn't. If freepascal is more or less compatible with delphi and is portable, that's not the case of directx, which means it will need rewriting parts of the code if one wants to port it on osx/linux/bsd...
Since reversing and reimplementing a game engine is a very big task, especially for a one man team, I think it would be a pretty good idea to focus a lot on documenting the formats and the engine internals. On one hand, it could motivate some coders to contribute and on the other, everything wouldn't be lost in case the project fails (which is definitely an option, even if you're extremely motivated at the moment).

Crypton

Novice
Dr.Bloodmoney said:
It's a good project idea, even if it's going to be tough, I wish you my best.
One thing though: one of the point of reimplementing a game engine is to make the game available natively on platform where it wasn't. If freepascal is more or less compatible with delphi and is portable, that's not the case of directx, which means it will need rewriting parts of the code if one wants to port it on osx/linux/bsd...
Since reversing and reimplementing a game engine is a very big task, especially for a one man team, I think it would be a pretty good idea to focus a lot on documenting the formats and the engine internals. On one hand, it could motivate some coders to contribute and on the other, everything wouldn't be lost in case the project fails (which is definitely an option, even if you're extremely motivated at the moment).

Yes, I know it will be hard :) but I'm not going to make it crossplatform by myself only, I've got offers for translating my engine to C++, Java and other languages.

So after I finish my engine, which will be written in Delphi, I'll release source codes, so game may be ported to other systems and consoles.

My engine is made only for research, when I found something new, I write it to engine, its better than writting that in docs only, because its more practical and easy to understand...

skyway

Educated
Drog, can you describe the process of fixing a simple bug in Arcanum?

Crypton, abandon that shit, and just go and add some stencil maps free blending of tiles in the fife editor.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I don't think anyone is actually expecting this project to ever be finished. It's fun to entertain the idea, though. Kinda like Cleve's zombie game.

Would fixed combat even be that great for Arcanum? Most of the game center's around the quests, dialogue, interaction of characters and blah blah blah. Combat is just a thing you want to get past quickly. Fixed combat would mean more enjoyment in that department, but it would make encounters last even longer, delaying the best parts of the game. A combat overhaul would probably require an overhaul of all the levels as well, making sure there are less enemies etc.

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
I don't know shit about programming but if you're so keen on this, why not just reverse engineer all of Arcanums assets and just port it to a free, isometric engine like FIFE instead of designing your own from ground up?

Tails

Arbiter
Crypton said:
So after I finish my engine, which will be written in Delphi, I'll release source codes, so game may be ported to other systems and consoles.
Well if you finish that remake and release sources... I would kiss you, if you weren't a man!

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Cloaked Figure said:
btw Jaime, that virus picture is doctored. So no need to take it down from the mod repository thread..

i didn't take it down

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom