Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArcanumAlive Project - Check out new website!

Crypton

Novice
Re: ArcanumAlive Project

Deleted

skyway

Educated
"I am here to whore attention and release stuff and I am all out of release dates."

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Sniff, sniff ...

Smells like DRAMA in here! Asking for thread deletion is the sure way to have it stickied.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So after all, I've found that this community does not deserves anything... I'll continue on that project on my own, I dont want any help anymore. Also some people should stop saying to me to grow up, because they dont know my age... most of them will be surprised how young I'm
Hahaha....HAHAHA.
Yeah... wow. This is pure gold.

I really hope this is a troll and will some day release his work in a book :)

On a serious sidenote:
You know, this guy seems to be a very talented (for his age, around 13 - 16, I guess) coder, if he really did what he claims to have done. A shame to see such talent wasted on such a weak mind.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
You know, this guy seems to be a very talented (for his age, around 13 - 16, I guess) coder, if he really did what he claims to have done. A shame to see such talent wasted on such a weak mind.
You can't have everything.

Jason

chasing a bee
Not sure what happened here, but here's his original post for posterity's sake:

Hi everybody! Smile

Some of you might already know about this project from Terra Arcanum, because it was not really successful there,so I've decided to move to Arcanum Club, where I did continued on this project.

After month, I've made a lot of progress, so I decided to show it here too, maybe it will be interesting for some fans or developers....

This project is aimed to recreating/researching Arcanum engine, adding new features, making everything easy-modifiable, creating new expansion packs and so on.... just making Arcanum alive again!

At this moment, I'm doing research, and everything I found is written in my engine, so after research will be finished, I'll release a source codes, so game may be ported to other operating systems and consoles.

Here is original thread:
http://forums.arcanumclub.ru/index.php?showtopic=3499

Preview Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40OmKwXGO28

Preview Video 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtxMl430L5o

You can discuss about this project at ArcanumClub or here, I'll be watching this thread too Smile

Lycaon

Novice
Yes QT is a gui framework. Fairly sure it has (basic) 2D display crap, but it'd be awfully slow. Also not sure why you'd limit it to 'straight SDL' either - might want to just use it as a wrapper for OpenGL. That way you can let SDL take care of the windowing and focus on the 'graphical'/'gameplay' side. So much faster, too.

That being said, a long long time ago I attempted something similar. That is a '3d' Arcanum using some bodge engine I found when I first started programming. Never got past the design phase though; made some notes on Arcanum's data formats, did some design docs, started writing the engine and then realised I had no support from anywhere on the graphical side.

Did manage to pull a file of an old HDD though, it's a bit of a mess but I think it describes some sort of obscure data loading algorithm. How far are you with the original files? If you don't mind sharing the delphi client you were going to release anyway, I can take a look and compare notes and try to fill in the gaps. PM me or whatever.

Normally I'd be quite happy to just help out with your project, but my spare time is so sporadic at the moment I'm not sure I could help on a team-basis.

Crypton

Novice
Hmm, guys, you are right, QT does not seems to be much helpful for making a games, but it was recommended to me by experienced C++ programmer... well I could use that with SDL and guichan rigght?, so thanks for recommending me that, I'll check it out.

About arcanum, have you seen that videos? from that you may see that Delphi version is able to load all maps, including objects, so now its time to rewrite that all from Delphi to C++, add AI, Sounds and other stuff.
(Not easy task, but I believe that the hardest step is already done...)

mvBarracuda

Augur
Hmm I would say that the hardest steps still lie in front of you. Designing a game engine is quite a complicated task especially if you have no prior experience in the field. Best of luck to you.

P.S. guichan and SDL were just suggestions. You should invest some time into evaluating different engines / libraries / frameworks before you start with the implementation. This can save you quite some headaches later on.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
This is so naive I am going to cry. So great you manged to LOAD a map with objects in a highly abstract language. And you say that was the hardest step?

I'll just point to a few things which come after that:

-Main Engine Loop
-Script Parser
-Collision Detection

These things alone are fucking hard to write without running into bugs which usually take alot of time to iron out.

Look at some other rewrites: Exult, Pentagram for example. These took several guys years and aren't even perfected yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom