Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcis Ultima potions its way to Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Arcis Ultima; Pear vs Apple

Popping out on Steam today, there's a little game called Arcis Ultima. Another indie RPG, which looks to have an interesting crafting system, real time combat, big battles, body part location based damage(more games need this), and a laundry list of other interesting things. It's not going to make your inner graphics whore go "Squee!", but it's also not going to make your wallet cry, either. It's going for $10.19US right now, normally $11.99US. Anyway, he's the trailer and a tiny snippet of the description:

Arcis Ultima is an open world RPG, that focuses on a war between humankind and the creatures whose source is unclear.. Game begins after human race has lost the main battle with the creatures. There is still a government; sending warriors to defend the towns and trying to retake lost ones. You may choose to participate in those battles to ensure the victory.

Well, that's certainly not the prettiest interface there, but I do like some crazy large battlefield action every now and then. One of the things I never would have known I liked if it weren't for Mount & Blade.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That wouldn't shock me a bit. Then again, it's not like EA's done anything with Ultima in decades at this point. Ultima Forever was the last thing they did, 2012, and that lasted about five minutes.

Kedar

Educated
This looks like and sounds like a fake game from a movie or a show made by people who have only a vague idea of how video games are like. Best of luck though!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That wouldn't shock me a bit. Then again, it's not like EA's done anything with Ultima in decades at this point. Ultima Forever was the last thing they did, 2012, and that lasted about five minutes.
Which pissed me off. I didn't even get to try it by the time I heard about it. Fucking EA!

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They posted this as well.

Dead wolves float above the ground.

Look at the difference in detail level between the player character and the guys on his side vs 'ogres' and wolves. I think it's apparent that some of the character models have been bought off from unity/unreal store and some they have got as freebies or worked on by themselves.

Kedar

Educated
I don't think EA is going to do anything about it, seeing how Ultima Adventum has been around on Steam for a year now. It even has a suspiciously similar logo.

Which pissed me off. I didn't even get to try it by the time I heard about it. Fucking EA!

I followed its development somewhat and really wanted to like it but it turned out wholly unremarkable.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dead wolves float above the ground.

This might bother me more if I haven't seen this in AAA games I'm expected to pay $60 to play. I'm more accepting of a person making a game by himself and this happens than a big studio making a game and a publisher putting it out where this happens. The only time it annoys me is when the game has corpse looting and I can't get to or access the corpse because it glitches with the ground or an object.

Look at the difference in detail level between the player character and the guys on his side vs 'ogres' and wolves. I think it's apparent that some of the character models have been bought off from unity/unreal store and some they have got as freebies or worked on by themselves.

I noticed that also. The ogre thing is incredibly detailed versus the player character and most humans. I used to be big in to Empyrion before the physics engine drove me away and it was the same way in the alpha. The thing about Unity is that it allows people to take their ideas and actually make a game with them with a little bit of learning and the time and willingness to create a game with that idea. The downside is that making and animating characters and monsters is a more steep climb for a single developer. The Unity Asset Store is an attempt to bridge that gap, but you're going to run in to a bunch of different artists doing all of the assets you need, so consistency breaks. That said, I think we're better off with the pros than the cons here. I'd rather see more games out there, even with issues like this and even though there are some pump and dumps, than where we were twenty years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom