Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are drow inherently evil? And other D&D racial restrictions that have been loosened over the years

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
That just only reaffirms me calling this DANDINO once Wizards of the Woke took over.
Telling you man, future is indie. The Iron Age of entertainment will be made off the backs of average Joes and Janes who have an idea and a GoFundMe. You are already seeing it. One of the best things about indie works is that they aren't tied down by the ESG bullshit that BlackRock and the WEF force many of these companies to adopt. They can make whatever they want without filling a fucking quota. Don't worry, I am sure many of these companies like Hasbro and WotC will still get ESG money... Oh, wait! Many states across America are starting to disinvest and pull out from BlackRock, the WEF and their ESG bullshit and more states will follow once Republicans take back the House and possibly the Senate. Oh well! I guess the good times can't last forever.

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That just only reaffirms me calling this DANDINO once Wizards of the Woke took over.
Telling you man, future is indie. The Iron Age of entertainment will be made off the backs of average Joes and Janes who have an idea and a GoFundMe. You are already seeing it. One of the best things about indie works is that they aren't tied down by the ESG bullshit that BlackRock and the WEF force many of these companies to adopt. They can make whatever they want without filling a fucking quota. Don't worry, I am sure many of these companies like Hasbro and WotC will still get ESG money... Oh, wait! Many states across America are starting to disinvest and pull out from BlackRock, the WEF and their ESG bullshit and more states will follow once Republicans take back the House and possibly the Senate. Oh well! I guess the good times can't last forever.

The thing about games like tabletop rpgs is that you can't take away what was already published. Due to how the laws are I can legally write a copycat of AD&D 2E and sell it. Wizards of the Woke can't do shit about it either as long as I don't copy the look they used and the exact way they expressed the rules.

mondblut

Arcane
Telling you man, future is indie. The Iron Age of entertainment will be made off the backs of average Joes and Janes who have an idea and a GoFundMe. You are already seeing it. One of the best things about indie works is that they aren't tied down by the ESG bullshit that BlackRock and the WEF force many of these companies to adopt.

Meanwhile, average Joes and Janes:
harassed.jpg

RangerBoo

Arcane
Telling you man, future is indie. The Iron Age of entertainment will be made off the backs of average Joes and Janes who have an idea and a GoFundMe. You are already seeing it. One of the best things about indie works is that they aren't tied down by the ESG bullshit that BlackRock and the WEF force many of these companies to adopt.

Meanwhile, average Joes and Janes:
harassed.jpg
I don't mean people like this. These look like people you see working at WotC. I live near there, I know what they look like. I mean normal people who have had enough of politics being woven in entertainment and are funding their own stuff. You see this with OSR with people like the RPGPundit making his own stuff. Or Eric July making his own comics and grabbing old school talent from DC and Marvel who have had enough of this shit. Hell, even Mark Wahlberg is making his own studios as he has had enough of Hollywood and its politics and just wants to make good old fashion entertainment for everyone to enjoy without the political activism. You are seeing how the entertainment industry is lashing out at these people. Remember Thaco from Wild Beyond the Shit Lights? Or She-Hulk and Velma attacking "toxic trolls"? For the longest time these fucks thought that they will be the only game in town so they felt they can shove whatever degenerate propaganda down peoples throat and people will have no choice but to shallow it but now they face competition from the plebs and they are pissed.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
You are seeing how the entertainment industry is lashing out at these people.

Yeah, it raises the shitstorm on twatter, and gofundmes of the world obediently shut these people down, lest they are labeled fascist enablers next.

RangerBoo

Arcane
You are seeing how the entertainment industry is lashing out at these people.

Yeah, it raises the shitstorm on twatter, and gofundmes of the world obediently shut these people down, lest they are labeled fascist enablers next.
When there is a will there is a way. There are plenty of other funding sites on the internet. Now getting their PayPal shut down is another story but we all saw the beautiful shit show that happened with PayPal when they thought they had the power to lord over peoples livelihoods. You bring up a good point that we may see the propagandists weaponize banks to go after indie creators next. After all, one must remember who controls both the entertainment industry and the banks.
:keepmyjewgold:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If a creator and artist doesn't have a Twitter,he is already based in my book.

JamesDixon Bring it on! Curious to see how your RPG will fare. Also,won't the bitches at WOTC complain about your product? I really don't know how copyright laws operate in "Merica.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If a creator and artist doesn't have a Twitter,he is already based in my book.

JamesDixon Bring it on! Curious to see how your RPG will fare. Also,won't the bitches at WOTC complain about your product? I really don't know how copyright laws operate in "Merica.

They can't say anything and there are plenty of clones out there.

RPG mechanics can't be copyrighted or patented. The only thing that is copyrighted is the exact expression of the book.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

And the entertainment industry is wondering why they are getting their asses handed to them by indie creators.

Yeah and I'm glad they're doubling down so hard. Nuke ground zero until there's nothing left but scorched earth. Then the survivors, ie the sane ones, can just look back at the poor muties gnawing at the scraps, and we'll continue to gatekeep the remaining sanctuaries. Muties won't even know what they're missing and will continue desecrating WOTC's (or Baizuo or Chaosium) remnants, while the rest of us enjoy the actual fun shit. Everyone wins.

RangerBoo

Arcane
What angers me the most of this is that this is a clear rewriting of evil to make evil be "subjective" and "misunderstood". You are seeing this shows, movies and games that are out. Rings of Power is the greatest example of this where they made Sauron, a metaphysical evil that was obsessed with bringing his corrupt version of order to Middle Earth, into a lovestruck guy who is misunderstood and had his heart broken. I partly blame Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones for this. These two pieces of entertainment made it seem that evil is subjective and misunderstood. People who commit evil acts have good intentions. What these brainlet writers seem to forget is that Walter White's story is a warning. He lost everything in the end due to his lust for power. Game of Thrones works because it is inspired by the War of Roses, a civil war that had no heroes. My personal favorite though is when they bring up Paradise Lost and try to tell people that Satan was the hero of that story and that he was the one who we were to sympathize most with. I can tell that only idiots who just read the Wikipedia entry to Paradise Lost only say that. The reader is never to sympathize with Satan. If anything we are suppose to be mad at how his deception of Eve doomed mankind to sin. If anything the hero of the story and the character we are to sympathize the most with is Adam who willingly damned himself so Eve wouldn't die and suffer alone. I hate how sick our culture is that the Left is willing to see evil as "subjective'.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What angers me the most of this is that this is a clear rewriting of evil to make evil be "subjective" and "misunderstood". You are seeing this shows, movies and games that are out. Rings of Power is the greatest example of this where they made Sauron, a metaphysical evil that was obsessed with bringing his corrupt version of order to Middle Earth, into a lovestruck guy who is misunderstood and had his heart broken. I partly blame Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones for this. These two pieces of entertainment made it seem that evil is subjective and misunderstood. People who commit evil acts have good intentions. What these brainlet writers seem to forget is that Walter White's story is a warning. He lost everything in the end due to his lust for power. Game of Thrones works because it is inspired by the War of Roses, a civil war that had no heroes. My personal favorite though is when they bring up Paradise Lost and try to tell people that Satan was the hero of that story and that he was the one who we were to sympathize most with. I can tell that only idiots who just read the Wikipedia entry to Paradise Lost only say that. The reader is never to sympathize with Satan. If anything we are suppose to be mad at how his deception of Eve doomed mankind to sin. If anything the hero of the story and the character we are to sympathize the most with is Adam who willingly damned himself so Eve wouldn't die and suffer alone. I hate how sick our culture is that the Left is willing to see evil as "subjective'.
:bro:

Fuck Game of Thrones.Overrated piece of shit series who thinks that over the top violence is a "mature" and profound way to portray characters.
It is a symptom of the cultural and spiritual nihilism we currently experience,where there is no evil,there is no good and there is no God.
So yeah,Game of Thrones is the normie's choice of edgy and "grimdark" piece of entertainment.

RangerBoo

Arcane

Fuck Game of Thrones.Overrated piece of shit series who thinks that over the top violence is a "mature" and profound way to portray characters.
It is a symptom of the cultural and spiritual nihilism we currently experience,where there is no evil,there is no good and there is no God.
So yeah,Game of Thrones is the normie's choice of edgy and "grimdark" piece of entertainment.
It is funny how the same Libcucks who in one breath say that Putin and all Russian are evil fascists who all must suffer and die in nuclear hellfire for the greater good and democracy of the world and in the next breath state; "There is no such thing as evil. Evil is subjective."
I see what the Left is doing. They are trying to make the actions they make which can be seen as evil be seen as subjective while their enemies and their actions will always be seen as ontologically evil. The best way for them to try to achieve that goal is by brainwashing the masses through their entertainment. It is both Orwellian and, dare I say, evil. You can dress evil up, put a nice coat of paint on it, present evil as nothing but wonderful but humans will still recognize evil for what it is. No amount of trying to change human conditioning will undo that.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It is funny how the same Libcucks who in one breath say that Putin and all Russian are evil fascists who all must suffer and die in nuclear hellfire for the greater good and democracy of the world and in the next breath state; "There is no such thing as evil. Evil is subjective."
While I agree with you, from the opposite side: Russians say that Ukraine is evil because they shelled the Donbas, but then go and shell Mariupol into swiss cheese, to the tune of 10,000 civilians dead.

"Evil" in politics is just anyone who disagrees with you. It's been this way for hundreds, if not thousands of years, but it's worse now that there's no authoritative religion that can point at a verse and say that X is evil because Y.

The Catholics can say that anything the Pope wants to say is evil is evil, but even that won't work if the Pope suddenly deviates too far from scripture. Enough people might say the Pope is wrong, and then you have another schism or reformation.

From a secular point of view: anything against life, and natural and productive society, is evil. Murder is evil because it destroys societal order, and the lives of individual people. LGBT is evil because it spreads disease and creates mental deviants whose sole interest is perverting and corrupting the world around them in order to be "tolerated", and not in having families or contributing to society so that their community can naturally grow.

But people are brain-neutered. The propaganda of muh red team and muh blue team is good and evil to them now. It doesn't matter if one side wants to bomb children, or another side wants to have the literal "church of satan" perform abortion rituals, everyone does what is right in their own eyes, and seeks to join likeminded tribes to enable them to keep doing so.

Not that I am against tribes as a rule, just examining the fruitlessness of modern tribalism without religion as a unifying factor, and final say in what is or isn't good and evil.

TLDR and relating to our discussion: these new definitions, or lack of a definition, of Good and Evil are what is responsible for people hating the alignment system. Good and Evil are whatever they want them to be, and anyone who challenges that, challenges their tribe and is therefore a threat to their way of life.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
While I agree with you, from the opposite side: Russians say that Ukraine is evil because they shelled the Donbas, but then go and shell Mariupol into swiss cheese, to the tune of 10,000 civilians dead.

"Evil" in politics is just anyone who disagrees with you. It's been this way for hundreds, if not thousands of years, but it's worse now that there's no authoritative religion that can point at a verse and say that X is evil because Y.

The Catholics can say that anything the Pope wants to say is evil is evil, but even that won't work if the Pope suddenly deviates too far from scripture. Enough people might say the Pope is wrong, and then you have another schism or reformation.

From a secular point of view: anything against life, and natural and productive society, is evil. Murder is evil because it destroys societal order, and the lives of individual people. LGBT is evil because it spreads disease and creates mental deviants whose sole interest is perverting and corrupting the world around them in order to be "tolerated", and not in having families or contributing to society so that their community can naturally grow.

But people are brain-neutered. The propaganda of muh red team and muh blue team is good and evil to them now. It doesn't matter if one side wants to bomb children, or another side wants to have the literal "church of satan" perform abortion rituals, everyone does what is right in their own eyes, and seeks to join likeminded tribes to enable them to keep doing so.

Not that I am against tribes as a rule, just examining the fruitlessness of modern tribalism without religion as a unifying factor, and final say in what is or isn't good and evil.

TLDR and relating to our discussion: these new definitions, or lack of a definition, of Good and Evil are what is responsible for people hating the alignment system. Good and Evil are whatever they want them to be, and anyone who challenges that, challenges their tribe and is therefore a threat to their way of life.
But the truth is that LGBTQGSKEBFIENEICD00345 is indeed EVIL.

Hagashager

Educated

I see what the Left is doing. They are trying to make the actions they make which can be seen as evil be seen as subjective while their enemies and their actions will always be seen as ontologically evil. The best way for them to try to achieve that goal is by brainwashing the masses through their entertainment. It is both Orwellian and, dare I say, evil. You can dress evil up, put a nice coat of paint on it, present evil as nothing but wonderful but humans will still recognize evil for what it is. No amount of trying to change human conditioning will undo that.
You are profoundly optomistic if you think people inherently recognize evil. The human condition is predisposed to personal convenience at any cost, even at the expense of another person, even at the expense of themselves in the long term! "Evil" is convenience in its extreme.

Whatever spiritual awakening you think is going to happen, didn't happen historically without *millennia* passing. The Catholic Church only got crippled for its corruption after 1000 years of absolute power. The Roman Empire didn't collapse under its decadence until 1000 years. WWII was not "good triumphing over evil" it was damage control after so much evil was left unchecked and mocked by lazy, selfish, hateful people with no respect for human life.

Whatever's going on here is just more of the same. Get rid of pesky notions of virtue and good behavior, it's inconvient.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
We are living in the Kali Yuga. Maybe one day Shiva will destroy the whole world to purify all of evil.
This meme really annoys me. The Yugas last for hundreds of thousands of years. Humans have supposedly been in the Kali Yuga since 3102 BC.
You are profoundly optomistic if you think people inherently recognize evil.
In their natural state, at birth, humans do recognize evil. There is a conscience, a law of the heart, that people can choose to obey or disobey. The more disobedient to it one is, the quieter it will get, but it was still there to begin with. I don't think this is really debatable for anyone who remembers their childhood. Whether or not you wish to believe it's spiritual or instinctual is the real question. A sense of guilt for disobeying an authority figure, perhaps, rather than a true sense of good or evil. The outcome is similar either way though.

No one has to teach certain animals certain things. They just know them. No one teaches wolves to run in a pack, or certain birds to fly (some mothers do teach their young, but other species just seem to know). Likewise, humans understand inherently that some things are wrong and others are right.
WWII was not "good triumphing over evil" it was damage control after so much evil was left unchecked and mocked by lazy, selfish, hateful people with no respect for human life.
A pity the ones trying to do that damage control lost, isn't it? There is such a thing as objective good and objective evil, but I don't think looking at politics is going to lead you to a definition everyone can agree on. You will say the Holocaust was evil, but someone can turn around and argue that it never happened. Pointless to discuss it and better to focus on personal examples, since players aren't likely to be leading nations in most campaigns.

Gygax's definition of selfishness as evil is probably the closest one can get to a decent secular definition.
Whatever's going on here is just more of the same. Get rid of pesky notions of virtue and good behavior, it's inconvient.
And that's where you expose your casual mentality.

All stat-based roleplaying is inconvenient. The limitations you're imposing on yourself by not being able to do anything and everything is inconvenient. But that's also what makes it fun.

D&D also was about fantasy settings where players could play in a simpler time, or the idea of a simpler time. Gygax and co could have made the world like America in the 1980s. There's no rule that there can't be any dragons or dungeons in such a setting. But they didn't.

They set it in the past, so that there could be classical battles of good verses evil (whether you agree with the concept or not), in a time before liberal faggots tried to water that idea down by constantly spewing historical whataboutisms. "B-but what about when the Catholic church ordered the execution of--" Who cares? Does that make murder ok? Robbery? "B-but killing is ok in X circumstance so it's all shades of gr--" Nope. Still doesn't matter.

Is it selfish? It's evil. Is it selfless? It's good. There's room for neutrality, but that's just not good enough for you. There's a limitation that exists and that bothers you. It bothers you that you might be judged for your actions. That there might be consequences for who you are and what you choose to do or not do. Even though that's a big part of what makes RPGs so fun.

Every whining post made itt proves that there was and is a need for an alignment system. Without it, there would be no way to measure good and evil in a way players could agree on, and thus no way to include it mechanically in gameplay. Every single one of you would probably bawl your eyes out insisting that it was ok for your paladin to rob a bank. And even if we eliminated the entire alignment system, you'd probably move on to complaining that fighters can't use magic, or that mages can't learn priest spells.

Palomides

Augur

You are profoundly optomistic if you think people inherently recognize evil. The human condition is predisposed to personal convenience at any cost, even at the expense of another person, even at the expense of themselves in the long term! "Evil" is convenience in its extreme.

Whatever spiritual awakening you think is going to happen, didn't happen historically without *millennia* passing. The Catholic Church only got crippled for its corruption after 1000 years of absolute power. The Roman Empire didn't collapse under its decadence until 1000 years. WWII was not "good triumphing over evil" it was damage control after so much evil was left unchecked and mocked by lazy, selfish, hateful people with no respect for human life.

Another retarded cynic with no real idea of what he's talking about. How utterly puerile.

Cael

Arcane
Only those who indulge in Evil will demand that Evil be regarded as Good.

Just a thought.

LabRat

Learned
We are living in the Kali Yuga. Maybe one day Shiva will destroy the whole world to purify all of evil.
This meme really annoys me. The Yugas last for hundreds of thousands of years. Humans have supposedly been in the Kali Yuga since 3102 BC
Kali Yuga will end in the year 428,899 CE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom