Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arguments against Steam being a DRM system

spekkio

Arcane
Why people use Steam is beyond me. As Awor and many others wrote, register on good private tracker and steal all games you need. If you want to support some developer, just send him a check or semething.
And all developers worth supporting went out of business / full derp long time ago...

Metro said:
I highly doubt I'll have a hankering to play the stuff I play now ten years down the road.
The key to understanding current gamer.
I'm pretty certain that I'm gonna re-play games like SS2 or Thief or Fallout till the end of my 'gaming life'.

:rpgcodex:

Metro said:
Unless for some reason they stop publishing new and interesting video games and everything is a standard rail shooter.
Oh, you were trolling? 8/10, would laugh again...

:thumbsup:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
spekkio said:

Not really. I'm 34 -- pretty sure I've been gaming as long as, if not longer, than most people on this site. I don't really have a great urge to play the stuff I played 10/15 years ago. If you do, more power to you. And, as I've said multiple times now: if Steam goes up, just torrent it. Or, even if you want to buy it I doubt most 25+ year old titles would cost more than $5.

Enough with this dumb 'old sk00le' routine. I highly doubt anyone here hasn't been able to find at least a few current games over the last few years they've found interesting. Anyone claiming all they've played and replayed for the past two decades are the same half dozen or so games is full of shit just trying to posture on an internet forum. Take your Kodex Kool Kreds and move along. It doesn't make you sound mature or sophisticated.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A sad empty husk of a man.

Thinks there are games more appealing than thief today.

Pelvis Knot

Cipher
SCO said:
A sad empty husk of a man.

Thinks there are games more appealing than thief today.

There certainly are none better, but I'd rather play good or very good games once each, than the best gaem evar 133 times.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Metro said:
Enough with this dumb 'old sk00le' routine. I highly doubt anyone here hasn't been able to find at least a few current games over the last few years they've found interesting. Anyone claiming all they've played and replayed for the past two decades are the same half dozen or so games is full of shit just trying to posture on an internet forum. Take your Kodex Kool Kreds and move along. It doesn't make you sound mature or sophisticated.

Uh, yeah, so I've tried everything that Bioware and Bethesda have unleashed upon us but I still find myself going back to the classics and for good reason. Haven't finished any Bio game since NWN:HoU and never finished any Beth game. Not going to buy any of their future games unless a miracle happens and Codex finds them good. Meanwhile, the only "new" games that I've truly enjoyed in the last five years have been strategy games or indies.

Just because it's all dumb entertainment to you doesn't mean that if others feel otherwise they are pretentious posers. In fact, your sentiments are just the kinds of stuff that fuels the current mainstream gaming decline, where 5-hour single player campaign is seen as sufficient and people valuing and re-playing classics are seen as unimportant fossils.

As to Valve and it's solvency, as others already pointed out - dozens of game companies have gone under. Even giants are not invulnerable and anything can happen. To trust that a company would, in its death throes, put out patches for their whole catalogue is extremely naive. Never installed Steam, never will. GamersGate is better in every way except for the sales.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Metro said:
Enough with this dumb 'old sk00le' routine. I highly doubt anyone here hasn't been able to find at least a few current games over the last few years they've found interesting.

A few games in a few years, sure. The problem is, entire genres i used to like have been dead for a long time. Authentic RPG genre is dead if we do not count indie games, as are graphic adventure, space sims, age of sail games etc. For an enthusiast of such genres the only option is discovering the back catalogues of various forgotten platforms, digging deeper and deeper into the obscure.

Zeus

Cipher
Authentic RPG genre is dead if we do not count indie games

Sure. And why wouldn't we? CRPGs started out as indie games. EA wouldn't have funded Ultima IX: Ascension if it wasn't for Richard Garriott cranking out Akalabeth: World of Doom in his garage. Before SSI bought the D&D license, there was dnd. It's the same with just about any genre: Those who roll their eyes at AGS games should remember that before Lucasarts, Sierra or even Infocom, adventure games were created by some guy named William Crowther. Spacewar! predates fancy commercial shumps, and so on.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Tolknaz said:
A few games in a few years, sure. The problem is, entire genres i used to like have been dead for a long time. Authentic RPG genre is dead if we do not count indie games,
How is this "dead"? They just have peaked in the end of 90s and we probably won't see such high budget tabletop-style RPGs coming back. They have basically returned to the first half of 90s or in case of developers with a long tradition like Spiderweb have never left them.

Metro said:
And, as I've said multiple times now: if Steam goes up, just torrent it.
Why not torrent them right away instead?

Metro said:
Do you realise that thousands of games were released between 1980 and 2000?

Anyway, what I have played last year:
Armored Brigade - freeware real time simulation.
Sean O'Connor's Firefight - indie real time simulation - bought it about 2 years ago (released first in 1998).
Gunship - bought a sealed box about 2 years ago (released first in 1988).
Laser Squad - bought a box about a year ago (released first in 1988)..
Raptor - Call of the Shadows - bought on G.O.G. (released first somewhere in VGA age)
X-Com: Apocalypse - bought it in 1999 (released first in 1997).
Fallout - bought it in 1998 (released first in 1998).
Operation Flashpoint - bought it in 2007 (released first in 2001).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The hatred of Steam doesn't make any sense, mostly because it's based on the wild pretend fears of teenagers. Fight the power!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom