Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armello - Game of thrones with furries

Silva

Arcane
Couldn't find a thread for this game so...

Anybody playing this? It received a cross-platform update on consoles, meaning now PC-Xbox-Playstation-Switch players can kick each other asses.

About the game proper, I like it. Among the best boardgames I've played recently. Lots of characters with different abilities and nice space for customization. The lore is a mix of Game of Thrones (various clans vying for dominance each with their mottos and feats) and Dark Souls (the Light x Dark / Wyld x Rot as cosmic forces, and current Lord getting decadent and having to be deposed for the world to go on, etc).

DraQ

Arcane
You lost me at furries boardgames.
Fixed.

Wizardries were blobbers with furries.
Morrowind had furries.
Grimrock has furries.
HoMM has furries.

From less RPG related games GoaT has not only furries but mostly just rodents at that.

OTOH, if I wanted to play boardgame or a card game or whatever, I sure as fuck wouldn't be playing a vidya.

Silva

Arcane
The game is online multiplayer with 4 characters on the board, PC-Consoles crossplay, with matches taking around 40min. I've played half dozen matches and I can't stop playing this shit. And it's pretty fun despite the furries (and I usually DESPISE furries). The lore and characters are well-made. Here, a description from the last character I've been learning to play...

_ _ _

Griotte, the Butcher Baroness

"Griotte is a rat of sophistication. She enjoys the finer things in life. Good food, good company, and good friends to share a meal and a story with. She is also a rat of maniacal violence. She enjoys the rush of battle, the howls of the dying, and the smell of red blood flowing as she takes her enemies apart, cleaver in hand. Of course, she always wears an apron when she kills, lest she ruin a perfectly good dress.

Griotte epitomizes the nobility of the Rat Clan. Behind a thin veneer of sophistication and class, lurks a garish, impure, and violent society, ruled by base instinct. She rose through the ranks of this vicious system through a combination of raw cunning, careful timing, and an aptitude for quick and decisive violence. Now, she is one of the most powerful criminal barons in the whole of Armello. Whereas some see the quest for the throne as a dutiful goal, or as a self evident birthright, Griotte views the race as the next step in her bloody ascent. She has no claim other than her power. But that power may very well be great enough to make her Queen."

images

The interesting thing is her ability, it confers her bonus dice at NIGHT for each Trickery she uses by day, resulting in an interesting gameplay where you're hiding by day because you're frail, but at night you're a fucking butcher and everybody fear you. This fits her theme of being a noble Baroness that's also a maniac behind the scenes. Come on bros, admit this shit is interesting.

P.S: how you doing DraQ ? Still trying those potato Stalker mods? Glad to see you again.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
The game is online multiplayer with 4 characters on the board, PC-Consoles crossplay, with matches taking around 40min. I've played half dozen matches and I can't stop playing this shit. And it's pretty fun despite the furries (and I usually DESPISE furries). The lore and characters are well-made. Here, a description from the last character I've been learning to play...

_ _ _

Griotte, the Butcher Baroness

"Griotte is a rat of sophistication. She enjoys the finer things in life. Good food, good company, and good friends to share a meal and a story with. She is also a rat of maniacal violence. She enjoys the rush of battle, the howls of the dying, and the smell of red blood flowing as she takes her enemies apart, cleaver in hand. Of course, she always wears an apron when she kills, lest she ruin a perfectly good dress.

Griotte epitomizes the nobility of the Rat Clan. Behind a thin veneer of sophistication and class, lurks a garish, impure, and violent society, ruled by base instinct. She rose through the ranks of this vicious system through a combination of raw cunning, careful timing, and an aptitude for quick and decisive violence. Now, she is one of the most powerful criminal barons in the whole of Armello. Whereas some see the quest for the throne as a dutiful goal, or as a self evident birthright, Griotte views the race as the next step in her bloody ascent. She has no claim other than her power. But that power may very well be great enough to make her Queen."
Ah, yeah, that's one of the things here, actually.

From what I've seen (although admittedly I haven't seen all that much) the game seems to be going for a combination of just riffing on animal stereotypes and "much original, so wow" characters, which is... not that great nor interesting.

Want to see a game with seriously great lore and characters (which you might have missed because furries) that doesn't do such a thing?
Try Ghost of a Tale.
Technically it's a TPP stealth game with RPG elements, though between stealth being easy and becoming optional for majority of the game it's mostly centred around exploration, story, interacting with characters and piecing together lore, at which it shines.

The worldbuilding and characters are a multilayered sandwich of "shit's complicated" and "things are not what they seem" (liberally sprinkled with some - usually excellent - humour, but not so much as to detract from more serious themes), surprisingly deep and nuanced, especially for a game where vast majority of characters are rodents (mostly rats), and deep lore, often merely glimpsed.
A mostly nonviolent one too, at least as far as player character's actions are concerned (protagonist, being a minstrel, has neither skill, inclination, nor, being an unarmed mouse facing mostly armed and armoured rat guards 2-3x as tall as he is capabilities to fight), although that's a welcome change of pace from the usual fare of turning enemies into Pollock's paintings.

The worldbuilding, despite all the civilized races inhabiting the world being at best halfway anthropomorphic animals retaining a lot of their physical and biological traits, doesn't really rely on animal stereotypes to broadly characterize characters. Instead, while the specific animal traits are present and deeply embedded into about everything, they aren't species-wide "hats" and aren't used as cheap and easy means of characterization.
For example, while you start the game as a mouse imprisoned by rats in a dungeon with rather stereotypical seeming guards, it is quickly apparent that:
  • rats run an empire and it's an actually pretty civilized one
  • there is a fair bit of assholery involved, but that's more of an empire thing than rat thing
  • rats' position as currently dominant species is actually at least somewhat earned through their actions fighting what amounted to a necromantic apocalypse threating to wipe out everyone
  • similarly mice, while currently downtrodden and far from being treated fairly, also ended this way for related reasons
  • most of the historical characters mentioned and ones you meet personally that have or will end up behaving heroically, happen to be rats
  • most people are prejudiced assholes, especially when there is cultural baggage involved, that doesn't necessarily mean that assholery is core of their beings
TL;DR is just that people are villains, heroes, assholes or something in between (usually) because they are people, and not because they happen to be or not be rats or any other species.
In the end it's much more interesting than having everything species-coded for your convenience.
People are just people, even when they're rats.

The characters are also genuinely likeable most of the time after you learn more about and interact with them.

Overall tone resembles better Discworld novels.
The interesting thing is her ability, it confers her bonus dice at NIGHT for each Trickery she uses by day, resulting in an interesting gameplay where you're hiding by day because you're frail, but at night you're a fucking butcher and everybody fear you. This fits her theme of being a noble Baroness that's also a maniac behind the scenes. Come on bros, admit this shit is interesting.
Meachanically, maybe, but then it's embedded in an abstractfag boardgame-y mechanics, which is also not a thing

P.S: how you doing DraQ ? Still trying those potato Stalker mods? Glad to see you again.
Thanks, it's going fine, but I'm indeed not that much on the 'Dex.
Sadly this is mostly because the Codex itself has declined a lot.

jackofshadows

Magister
A good game, yea. I played only ~8h though. Unfortunately my current prov is horrible for this kind of mp games, for unknown reasons so I couldn't participate in potential codex battles in the near future. And in sp this game is very meh.

Silva

Arcane
Yes, the single player is more of a tutorial or training grounds to test strategies. I wouldn't recommend Armello without MP.

Back to the game, after a dozen or so MP matches I realized Prestige victory is not really an option one should aim for, because most players can pull a Kingslayer or Spirit victories fairly consistently. Instead I think Prestige should be seen as a tool to leverage your position until one of the other victories become viable, or, in the eventuality no one manages to kill/cleanse the king - which is rare - grab the victory.

Another thing I noticed is that the Magic deck is the more powerful one so casters seem to have a slight edge over other "classes". But I need more playtime to confirm.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I played both Armallo and GoaT.

Armallo is an interesting game, with a narrow scope. I would not recommand it, but it was fun until it lasted. It is probably great in MP, but I did not try it.
There is an awful lot of super expensive DLC too. I am not against DLC, but they felt overpriced.

Ghost of a Tale => Play it. Now.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Are you sure you guys (DraQ and ValeVelKal ) aren't comparing apple and oranges here? Armello is a boardgame in digital form with light RPG elements, while Ghost of a Tile seems to be a full blown RPG (or at least that's how it feels like from the review I've read).

Anyway, I'll take a look at GoaT, no doubt. Even if I hate furries. :lol:

Armallo is the fun game, with a narrow scope. I would not recommand it, but it was fun until it lasted. It is probably great in MP, but I did not try it.
I had the game on Steam for a long time and only gave it a handful hours try in single-player and thought it was okay, 6/10 max. Now I got it on PS4 with cross-play enabled and for the first time tried the MP and I'm loving it, 9/10 material. Very well-designed mechanics with great flavor over it. I'm even impressed how the devs pulled it out by themselves with an original game instead of, you know, simply porting a pre-existing boardgame.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I must be reaching 60 matches and can't stop playing. If anyone wanna play gimme a shout.

Some things I learned:

- Twiss is OP, specially her spellcaster version (Amethyst ring). Devs should nerf this bitch.

- Rabbit's Rings are the best. Dragon's the worst.

- Fang is cool as fuck (who doesn't like a Berserker?) but he's super fragile and a trap for noobs.

- Prestige is the least reliable victory condition.

- Since there's a 50% chance for dice to roll attacks and only 16,5% to roll a defense, most fights will be slaughters if unmodified. So the best gear setup is 2 pieces of armor and 1 weapon.

- My tier list of the week:

S tier: Twiss
A tier: Elyssia, Zosha, Thane, Sargon.
B tier: everybody who isn't above or below
C tier: Volodar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom