Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed 3

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I read they managed to dumb down the gameplay even more?
I doubt that's even possible.

Skimmed over some Metactritic user reviews and yes, apparently all you need to do is press RT and Connor does the rest automatically (tree jumping, hiding in bushes etc.). Combat also seems to be even easier. It's all style and no substance. That's why I never got into the AC series.
From what I've seen in various videos it seems like combat executions take forever to finish now compared to earlier games because the entire thing seems way more choreographed instead of simply being practical. Pair that with apparently even greater focus on combat, as if Ezio counter killing half of Italy wasn't enough, and you have a recipe for repetitive frustration. Add to that what you say about automated parkour and expectations plummet down fast.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Liked the first as a parcour simulator and because I actually visited the places that one portrayed. Must say they really nailed the atmosphere there. Second one was fun and added lots to the formula but was then followed by increasingly pointless sequels. With three they can either step into a new direction and reinvigorate the series or keep going on that same pointless path. I was hopefull but with everything I read it seems to go for that whole style over substance thing.

All potential the series could have had at some point was forever lost in order to cater to consoletards. Massive commercial success inherently conflicts with quality, especially in this particular branch of industry.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I always thought the best thing about the AC games was the engine. It's the only one that's ever really managed to show a realistic city (well, except all the perfectly interconnecting rooftops) in 3d. I've been hoping for a while that a competent developer would take advantage and license the engine to create a game with a bit more substance, but no such luck so far.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I always thought the best thing about the AC games was the engine. It's the only one that's ever really managed to show a realistic city (well, except all the perfectly interconnecting rooftops) in 3d. I've been hoping for a while that a competent developer would take advantage and license the engine to create a game with a bit more substance, but no such luck so far.

An action rpg set in and around a single detailed and living city with different moves for different character builds in this engine would be awesome. Won't ever happen though.

I was hopefull
you really should know better by now

Nah. The first was fun, second was better. Besides, after more than a decade of steady decline the last two years have seen some marked incline in gaming. Goody.

Journalists on their knees again. The "most negative" review would be http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/30/assassins-creed-3-review-declination-of-independence/

That effortless flow carries over to the redesigned combat, which breaks out of the franchise's staccato loop and lets you dispatch enemies without losing momentum, counter several incoming blows at once, and inject any equipped tool into the fight. It's tempting to fall back into the old wait-and-counter routine, but the animations are so flamboyant it's always worth experimenting with different finishers.

So apparently "staccato loop" is the synonym for shitty combat mechanics.

Holy cow - you're not reviewing Citizen Kane, you half-wit... get over yourself. This game is good. Not great, and certainly not deserving of this flowery garbage review.
I DO want fries with that. (Just sayin', horrible review person).

:lol:

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity
He gave it 3.5 stars and people whine?

Anyway, probably not playing this one. I only played the earlier ones because I liked the settings, and this one I'm a lot less interested in.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That's really the issue with Assassin's Creed: after the first game, everything had to be bigger, more impressive, "better." It led to serious feature bloat and over-extended gameplay that was never as refined or polished as it should be because the developers simply added more rather than fixing real issues and re-thinking the core gameplay. But the thing is, now they can't go back, because all their fans expect more and more every time, so it's doomed to suck and spiral into increasing irrelevance.

TripJack

Hedonist
no, the issue with assassin's creed is that they are bland console games with uninteresting gameplay
:rpgcodex:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The best part of the previous AC games was playing parkour in a meticulously recreated historical city, but by setting it in Boston (lol) that's lost completely.

Why didn't they set it in Paris during the French Revolution?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Waiting for PC version, will get it eventually because I am an explore-fag.

I actually liked the first game more than the second. It was simplistic and repetitive as hell but it felt unique and looked amazing at the time (on PC anyway). The second added a ton of MMO bullshit and looked worse somehow. Neither was great but if you wanna larp around historical settings they're amusing.

But the thing is, now they can't go back, because all their fans expect more and more every time, so it's doomed to suck and spiral into increasing irrelevance.

I guess there's a strong chance it ends here, because it seems they pulled the Mass Effect 3 ending here: apparently
Juno (of Those That Were Here Before Us or smth) enslaved the humankind in the ending
:troll:

Why didn't they set it in Paris during the French Revolution?
most kwans don't know what the french revolution is
That's what you have Assassin's Creed for. Why don't history books tell us the truth about Leonardo Da Vinci being Ezio's friend?

Gord

Arcane
I bought AC2 mostly because it interested me to do sightseeing in renaissance Italy and indeed that special charm seems lost in AC3.
Of course, I think the sightseeing aspect is not enough to carry the game, let alone the series.
I was pretty surprised at how "actiony" the game is, somehow i expected more sneaking and assassin-stuff than the amount of out-in-the-open fighting (which turned out to be piss-easy, too).
Looks like AC3 has even expanded on the fighting and action parts.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I bought AC2 mostly because it interested me to do sightseeing in renaissance Italy and indeed that special charm seems lost in AC3.
Of course, I think the sightseeing aspect is not enough to carry the game, let alone the series.
I was pretty surprised at how "actiony" the game is, somehow i expected more sneaking and assassin-stuff than the amount of out-in-the-open fighting (which turned out to be piss-easy, too).
Looks like AC3 has even expanded on the fighting and action parts.
Previous games actually faltered the most when they tried being stealthy because AC controls are far too imprecise for anything except parkouring over rooftops and moving in general direction on foot. AC1 averted that by, well, not really having stealth while AC3 seems to have moved the exploration outside of the fledgeling cities and atop the trees which I imagine is all kinds of jarring because there are only so many tree models and formation you can employ before you notice you're climbing the same X number of trees over and over and over again.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Skimmed over some Metactritic user reviews and yes, apparently all you need to do is press RT and Connor does the rest automatically (tree jumping, hiding in bushes etc.). Combat also seems to be even easier. It's all style and no substance. That's why I never got into the AC series.
So even morgoth didn't like AC series.They must be a real shit.

Angthoron

Arcane
I couldn't even finish the first one, and the series degenerated since then? Holy shit.

Modron

Arcane
Victorian England is what I have wanted since the first game. Hopefully that's the next one.

I always thought Edinburgh (there is a reason the city influenced Jekyll and Hide) would be a great city for an AC game; because everyone tried to build within its walls it had some of the first skyscrapers, also leading to some claustrophobic like conditions, Burke and Hare, etc... and one section of the city was built on top of an older poorer section with old buildings serving as support for the new gentrified city above. Evidence shows people continued living in the old parts of the underground city for years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom