Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
aaa.png

AAA budget

playing thru AC: Unity right now, gotta say it is an excellent, EXCELLENT game. i had only played the original AC way back in the day and never bothered with any of the rest, but did dip my toe into AC: Origins a few weeks ago (pirated of course) thinking the new direction for the series would be good...

nope, it plays horrible. the combat sucks ass, it has shitty animations, dialog and story are shit, can't go inside anywhere, nowhere to climb either, upgrade trees are shit and badly designed, side-missions are boring. i only played it for about 10 hours or so then uninstalled it. it's like Witcher 3 but done by retards. I can't imagine a single person deriving enjoyment from AC: Origins.

But i still had the itch for it so I googled which was the "best" of the true AC titles, the non-RPG ones, and from the many forum posts i read it seemed most agreed that AC 4: BF was the series best (after AC 2), but that AC: Unity was the last gasp of the old Creed games and that it was a misunderstood gem.

anyway i tried it out and lo and behold IMMEDIATELY a million times better than AC: Origins. Better graphics, better animations, (talk about downgrades Ubisoft!), even tho it's older than Origins it has better everything. Combat is much better as well with more weight to it and better pacing.

but most importantly I guess it's that it's way more enganging. Also Paris is about 10000000000x better to explore than sand pits. Great use of color in AC: Unity, voice-acting is top notch, man I am really enjoying it. It's amazing how different in quality and game play Unity and Origins are even though both share the same fundamental elements.

I fully get why there are so many "true" AC fans who hate Origins/Odyssey. Everything about Unity is so much better than Origins it's not even funny, especially the story and characters. I can't imagine anyone ever giving a shit about Bayek and his Strong African Man boring as fuck flat personality, or any of his equally flat friends.

EDIT: It's a really kick-ass feel when you're going around in AC: Unity slitting throats and dropping smoke bombs and swinging thru chandeliers to escape out a window. There was nothing that gave a similar bad-ass feeling in the 10 hours I played of Origins, it just played like Witcher 3 but with worse everything. I mentioned this before but the combat is really bad in Origins, it feels like hack 'n slash shit where you just spam attack except made even worse than that because of the level gating.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay so I just came across this place that's not really mind blowing but remains amusing nonetheless. So, near Nexos, there's a small island that contains nothing aside from a single hostile area that's inhabited by a bunch of chickens and roosters, human corpses with severed body parts scattered everywhere. Me, a naive mercenary who hadn't really gotten into trouble with these stupid cucks before learned a new lesson in hard way: they completely obliterated my ass within 3 hits.

I found the place to be quite bizarre, then I noticed the name of that location: Alectryon's Rest. Turn out in Greek myth, Alectryon is a guard who were turned into a rooster by Ares because he failed to guard the room where Ares and Aphrodite engaged in treacherous intimacy, which let Helios found out. I mean, if some asshole wanna put his dick into a vagina that has "WARNING: DO NOT ENTER" sign on it and the blame is on me who had nothing to do with it then whatever left of me gonna be pissed too.

But seriously though, don't fuck with the roosters.

better animations, (talk about downgrades Ubisoft!)
I remember watching a Unity free running video and was amazed because the player performed a parkour down move where Arno spin his body 270 degree which looks really smooth and badass. I played that game for 20 hours yet never found out about that move.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah that happens when you fall off a low height while holding backwards on the left stick and right-trigger + down-climb button.

you probably never saw it because you didn't fall off the specific height required to trigger it, it's kind of low. It is truly mind-boggling why Ubisoft downgraded the animation system for Origins/Odyssey, I really don't understand! Why? Combat animations especially suffered when going from Unity/Syndicate (they're EXCELLENT there) to Origins/Odyssey (surprisingly jerky looking ones).

there are also special animations for falling off a height while "stuck" to cover as well.

Jezal_k23

Unity is the one where the map is littered with filler content like 500 consumables all around you and/or filler missions. I like a lot of it like the main quests being huge infiltration missions and the focus on stealth of the main campaign but I otherwise think it's a pretty flawed game.

Unity is the one where the map is littered with filler content like 500 consumables all around you and/or filler missions.
Up till Syndicate you could filter out what you didn't want to see on the map. Anyone with sense would just set the maps to only show missions, fast travel points and little else.

In the new ones unlocking viewpoints simply puts question marks on the map. And if you want to know which of those question marks actually have the better content as opposed to timesinks you have to pay for some dlc to unlock that.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Very well done video a cut above most YouTube crap.

Spoiler: AC Odyssey doesn't happen in the past. Anyone sperging over historical discrepancies in a game where the Trojan war is historical fact, along with Atlantis and huge dragon beasts, needs to tone down the autism.This is not a shot at people with autism, it's referring to the video's author and his description of his video, where he writes: I hope you all enjoy my autism as much I want to hang out with Hippocrates now.

Not that I'm above making fun of autists.

But here's the thing. Whereas previous AC games did put on a veneer of historicity, any such aspirations have been completely dispensed with in AC Odyssey.

Historicity in AC Odyssey was taken behind the shed, and shot, and then its corpse was impaled on a great big pole and people held a feast around it, celebrating the conclusive end of any kind of attempt at historicity in AC games. 'k?

:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Very well done video a cut above most YouTube crap.

Spoiler: AC Odyssey doesn't happen in the past. Anyone sperging over historical discrepancies in a game where the Trojan war is historical fact, along with Atlantis and huge dragon beasts, needs to tone down the autism.This is not a shot at people with autism, it's referring to the video's author and his description of his video, where he writes: I hope you all enjoy my autism as much I want to hang out with Hippocrates now.

But here's the thing. Whereas previous AC games did put on a veneer of historicity, any such aspirations have been completely dispensed with in AC Odyssey.

Historicity in AC Odyssey was taken behind the shed, and shot, and then it's corpse was impaled on a great big pole and people held a feast around it, celebrating the conclusive end of any kind of attempt at historicity in AC games. 'k?

The video was interesting and educational and you are a dumbass with no taste for games.

There are equally retarded youtubers out there claiming that "this is the most historical AC ever! It's the best!"

It's good there is someone to explain how things actually stood there, to the best of our knowledge.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
The video was interesting and educational and you are a dumbass with no taste for games.

Aren't we butthurt little snowflakes. I don't like that video because it's dumb and caters to retards. My taste in games has nothing to do with historicity in AC Odyssey - conflating these things is the first sign of a mentally challenged position, such as the one you're taking.

Historicity in AC Odyssey was taken behind the shed, and shot, and then it's corpse was impaled on a great big pole and people held a feast around it, celebrating the conclusive end of any kind of attempt at historicity in AC games. 'k?

There are equally retarded youtubers out there claiming that "this is the most historical AC ever! It's the best!"

There's a bunch of retarded Youtubers out there? Imagine that.

It's good there is someone to explain how things actually stood there, to the best of our knowledge.

Breaking the ice, finally someone makes a video on Ancient Greece. That's history worth looking into, I wonder why no one ever did that bef...

:smug:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My taste in games has nothing to do with historicity in AC Odyssey - conflating these things is the first sign of a mentally challenged position, such as the one you're taking
Wrong again. Your position is that the video is "autism". Mine is that the video is "interesting and educational". The author has done research and cites his sources. From your side we get a non-argument in the lines of "I'm ok with a falsified version of history being peddled to unassuming brats, because it's a videogame, duh".

If your vocabulary and general mental capacity was not already devastated by playing shit games, maybe you could have found a word like "pedantic" to use in place of "autistic", but I guess that's all you have to work with.

Deflowerer

Arcane
My taste in games has nothing to do with historicity in AC Odyssey - conflating these things is the first sign of a mentally challenged position, such as the one you're taking
Wrong again. Your position is that the video is "autism". Mine is that the video is "interesting and educational". The author has done research and cites his sources. From your side we get a non-argument in the lines of "I'm ok with a falsified version of history being peddled to unassuming brats, because it's a videogame, duh".

If your vocabulary and general mental capacity was not already devastated by playing shit games, maybe you could have found a word like "pedantic" to use in place of "autistic", but I guess that's all you have to work with.

Agreed. In general, I wholeheartedly approve of videos that try to inform the audience of how it really was vs. popcultural depictions, given that your average tard gets most of his historical knowledge from popculture.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I don't think anyone really cares about the historicity of an AC game or whatever, this is about pointing out the leftist agit-prop and SJW agenda that influenced its game design, not about whether the game is historically accurate or not. Where this becomes muddled is that because of the leftist agit-prop and the SJW agenda the game itself became historically inaccurate.

Get why some are confused now?

Simple Simon

Scholar

The Trojan war is a historical fact. I'm not saying like the gods came down and changed the battle like in the Iliad but the Greeks really did fight a war against the Trojans, right? :?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Wrong again. Your position is that the video is "autism". Mine is that the video is "interesting and educational".

Rich that you're whining about reading comprehension when you fail completely to comprehend. I don't give shit about autism, that's just how the dumbass video author described his own video - see again: reading comprehension.

The author has done research and cites his sources.

It's a dumbass youtube video, but evidently you've got some personal hard-on for the author. It's just a rando with Google. A waste of time.

. From your side we get a non-argument in the lines of "I'm ok with a falsified version of history being peddled to unassuming brats, because it's a videogame, duh".

Once again: reading comprehension. No version of history is presented in the game, it is fantasy. I don't give a shit how history is presented in a fantasy game - if anything, what is offensive is that until now the AC games have presented themselves as "historically accurate" to the uneducated masses. Which is of course a bald faced lie, they're all bullshit, every single last one of them. This is just the first one which doesn't *pretend* otherwise.

All I see here is babyrage and Reeeeeee

Agreed. In general, I wholeheartedly approve of videos that try to inform the audience of how it really was vs. popcultural depictions, given that your average tard gets most of his historical knowledge from popculture.

AFAIK there's no lack of decent educational sources for Ancient Greece - and tard will never educate themselves regardless, that's why they're tards.

Spoiler: Schleimann did find the ruins of a city fitting Homer's epic.

Spoiler: there's more to the story than the city of Troy.

It's like you people have not played the game and think this is still "old-school" AC. This game has as much to do with the older AC games as the Witcher 3.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alright, which protagonist of AC Odyssey is less annoying, the man or the woman? The man looks like literally the most loudmouthed frat boy in Youtube, designed to make the girl look good, but it's hard to tell which will turn out worse after 80 hours

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
The Trojan war is a historical fact. I'm not saying like the gods came down and changed the battle like in the Iliad but the Greeks really did fight a war against the Trojans, right? :?

I don't know why this isn't coming through my posts, perhaps I'm not being clear enough - but in the game Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the Trojan war happened *as described in the Iliad* and Homer's Odyssey is a historical book in the game.

Not disputing there was a war in against Trojans, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a war against Trojans.

But superhumans, half-gods, fantastic beasts and the crazy adventures of Odysseus, that happened in the game. That's part of the game's "history", there's even remains of huge dragons found in-game. Like 100m long skeleton of a dragon.

This is fantasy. And that has nothing to do with *a* Trojan war, but everything to do with *the* Trojan war, as described by Homer.

Setting that aside, why are there some people who insist AC games are historically accurate, or attempt to be so? That's literally nonsense from Ubi's marketing department.

Did people lose themselves over Sid Meier's Pirates? Any Youtube videos comparing Campeche in game to the real thing? No and nobody cares, how historically accurate that game is. But Ubi-marketing has planted this idea into NPCs that AC games are something else.

They're not.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I have never, ever seen anyone claim that AC games were historically accurate. This argument is about agitation-propaganda, and that affects a work whether it be historically accurate or pure fantasy.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I have never, ever seen anyone claim that AC games were historically accurate.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-creed-odyssey/assassins-creed-odyssey-historically-accurate

If anything, the inclusion of monsters makes Assassin's Creed Odyssey more historically accurate - Professor Stephen Scully, who teaches Greek Mythology at Boston University

This argument is about agitation-propaganda, and that affects a work whether it be historically accurate or pure fantasy.

Agitprop in what way? And who is having that argument?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
^video sums it all up pretty nicely. Diversity of skin colors, muh strong wymyn everywhere, modern portrayal of degenerate "free love" and homosexual relationships, re-framing of slavery, skewed representation of greek politics (mainly to include muh strong wymyn), etc.

It's all designed to make the younger players who don't know any better think that that was how it really happened, that 2018 sensibilities ruled ancient Greece. They don't care about telling a fantasy or being accurate, they only care about pushing their agenda.

And as I already explained, that is where the historical inaccuracy comes from: from their historical revisionism (everything outlined above). By forcing SJW talking points into the game's design the game itself became inherently inaccurate. People then become confused as to what they are arguing about, they have problems with the inaccuracy but don't realize it's from SJW pandering.

EDIT: This also gives leftists an easy way of brushing aside the game's "inaccuracies" by falling back on the "it's all made-up anyway!!!!!1" when someone criticizes the game's representation of women, for example.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
^video sums it all up pretty nicely.

Not really, it's some youtuber's opinion piece. Sorry if that truth hurts your feelings.

Diversity of skin colors, muh strong wymyn everywhere, modern portrayal of degenerate "free love" and homosexual relationships, re-framing of slavery, skewed representation of greek politics (mainly to include muh strong wymyn), etc.

I don't even

Was AD&D agitprop, e.g. in a Greek setting? Forgotten Realms, being a paracosm, agitprop?

Your claim raises more questions than answers.

It's all designed to make the younger players who don't know any better think that that was how it really happened, that 2018 sensibilities ruled ancient Greece.

The kids today think the Assasins were a noble secret guild that protects the ZZzzzzZZ whatever... but they were a muzzie cult and possibly the first suicide bombers. Crazy, stupid, fucks that were thankfully wiped off the face of the Earth. So, did you lose it when the first AC game was published, because it's agitprop?

And as I already explained, that is where the historical inaccuracy comes from: from their historical revisionism (everything outlined above).

I thought it was from the dragons, myself. Or perhaps it was Atlantis. I don't know where exactly I felt it was becoming ever so slightly historically inaccurate - of course it's still so historically accurate that people *might* think it's *real history*!!

This also gives leftists an easy way of brushing aside the game's "inaccuracies" by falling back on the "it's all made-up anyway!!!!!1" when someone criticizes the game's representation of women, for example.

Yeah what's up with allowing women to have 18/00 STR amirite brahs? Agitprop AD&D ruled by the SJW lefties since the 70s.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
^video sums it all up pretty nicely.

Not really, it's some youtuber's opinion piece. Sorry if that truth hurts your feelings.

Diversity of skin colors, muh strong wymyn everywhere, modern portrayal of degenerate "free love" and homosexual relationships, re-framing of slavery, skewed representation of greek politics (mainly to include muh strong wymyn), etc.

I don't even

Was AD&D agitprop, e.g. in a Greek setting? Forgotten Realms, being a paracosm, agitprop?

Your claim raises more questions than answers.

It's all designed to make the younger players who don't know any better think that that was how it really happened, that 2018 sensibilities ruled ancient Greece.

The kids today think the Assasins were a noble secret guild that protects the ZZzzzzZZ whatever... but they were a muzzie cult and possibly the first suicide bombers. Crazy, stupid, fucks that were thankfully wiped off the face of the Earth. So, did you lose it when the first AC game was published, because it's agitprop?

And as I already explained, that is where the historical inaccuracy comes from: from their historical revisionism (everything outlined above).

I thought it was from the dragons, myself. Or perhaps it was Atlantis. I don't know where exactly I felt it was becoming ever so slightly historically inaccurate - of course it's still so historically accurate that people *might* think it's *real history*!!

This also gives leftists an easy way of brushing aside the game's "inaccuracies" by falling back on the "it's all made-up anyway!!!!!1" when someone criticizes the game's representation of women, for example.

Yeah what's up with allowing women to have 18/00 STR amirite brahs? Agitprop AD&D ruled by the SJW lefties since the 70s.
Not to burst your bubble but what's with all this historical RPG revisionism of yours? Human women in 1st edition weren't allowed to have 18/00 in STR. In fact women of most races were capped at lower maximum STR than their male counterparts. You can even see it in computer games from late 80s - no need to go to 70s. Simply play Pool of Radiance or other Gold Box games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom