Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - Yasuke confirmed Samurai, cope and seethe; pre-order now

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This whole AC: Shadows story is real fun. I hope when they finally release the thing, it will prove to be even more offensive to Japanese culture! Can't wait for the ensuing shitstorm, all the apologies and last minute patches to remove some of the material.

Won't even need to buy the game, it will still deliver pure comedy gold.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm convinced that at this point, the only value to be had from mainstream gaming is to point and laugh at how out of touch their developers are.

I really hope there's a scene where Yusake or whatever interacts with the Japanese pantheon and they're all like, who's this bitch?

Modern gaming is oblivious self satire.

Silverfish

Arbiter

It's the obliviousness that's particularly frustrating, though. Imagine someone actually leaning into how stupid AC Shadows is conceptually and running with that. You could have shit like Yasuke killing people with a spiked basketball or holding an era-appropriate rifle sideways and inexplicably firing it full auto while The Crystal Method's 'the name of the game' blares in the background.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's the obliviousness that's particularly frustrating, though. Imagine someone actually leaning into how stupid AC Shadows is conceptually and running with that. You could have shit like Yasuke killing people with a spiked basketball or holding an era-appropriate rifle sideways and inexplicably firing it full auto while The Crystal Method's 'the name of the game' blares in the background.

I'm just going to quote my own post from the gaming drama subforum.

1721845573434.png

The protagonist is a pregnant, ex-con black woman whose capeshit power is literally words.

This has to be pure satire at this point.

Fascist cops being the main enemy type? ✅
A bunch of diverse criminals being the good guys? ✅
Fanfiction tier writing? ✅
Vomit-inducing art? ✅

1721845745861.png

I refuse to believe this garbage is made by real people. It's some kind of AI project.

9ted6

Educated
Ubisoft put out a statement to the Japs

While Yasuke is depicted as a samurai in Assassin's Creed Shadows, we acknowledge that this is a matter of debate and discussion.

Source
They just can't admit they're wrong and have to keep pushing this BS. There's no debate and there's no discussion because besides a woke historian's fraudulent claims that have been officially debunked there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest Yasuke was a samurai besides Well Nobody Said He Wasn't.

You may as well say Julius Caesar traveled to Japan and became a samurai and it's worth debating because no Roman text says he didn't do that so therefore maybe he did.

They should just admit they're doing alt historical bullshit and move on instead of trying to give this a historical basis that it doesn't have.

ind33d

Learned
the only way out is through. we have to double down until these idiots actually think yasuke created the japanese race by knocking up that dog from Okami

maybe he invented sharp objects too. those little japs could never come up with swords on their own

The Decline

Arcane
the only way out is through. we have to double down until these idiots actually think yasuke created the japanese race by knocking up that dog from Okami

maybe he invented sharp objects too. those little japs could never come up with swords on their own

So Yasuke = Yakub?

Mauman

Scholar
Oh hey, the war is back on it seems.

Yasuke is no longer called a samurai on Wikipedia.

There is however a new big "controversy" section in there.

:troll:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This whole was Yasuke = samurai debate is stupid and artificial. The journos steered the discussion this way because they wanted it to get stuck in a quagmire, not knowing how much drama it would create because of a reddit-tier historian.

The real argument is as follows:

Trash megacorp known for making slop has decided to not use an Asian male protagonist, for a game in Japan, and use the only black person recorded in japanese period history. Assassin's Creed has never had an east Asian male protagonist. Ubisoft is racist and should be canceled immediately.

ind33d

Learned
there is allegedly a scene in AC: Shadows where Yasuke, our hero, recites an Islamic prayer

>o merciful allah! bestow upon this giga-nigga the strength to cap a Jap
>POP POP POP WATCH SHIGERU DROP

Modron

Arcane
there is allegedly a scene in AC: Shadows where Yasuke, our hero, recites an Islamic prayer

>o merciful allah! bestow upon this giga-nigga the strength to cap a Jap
>POP POP POP WATCH SHIGERU DROP
Is this the scene before he takes an asian man's other honor?

Zanzoken

Arcane
This whole was Yasuke = samurai debate is stupid and artificial. The journos steered the discussion this way because they wanted it to get stuck in a quagmire, not knowing how much drama it would create because of a reddit-tier historian.

Trash megacorp known for making slop has decided to not use an Asian male protagonist, for a game in Japan, and use the only black person recorded in japanese period history. Assassin's Creed has never had an east Asian male protagonist. Ubisoft is racist and should be canceled immediately.

Not only that, but if Ubishit ever decided to make Assassins Creed: Wakanda or whatever, they would never in a million years have the gall to use a non-Black dude as the protagonist running around killing niggers.

ultimanecat

Arcane

While I agree in principle, in practice using their own language against them doesn’t work, as I’ve mentioned before. We had like two months of “Stop Asian Hate” during the summer of peace before it became apparent that the spirit of Yasuke was still practicing tsujigiri in modern times and then they all dropped it and never spoke of it again because it’s usefulness as propaganda dried up. For similar reasons, telling them that replacing Asians with blacks is racist won’t work simply because blacks are higher up than Asians in the totem pole, and the “racism” rhetoric is only there to shame other people with principles or something to lose into behaving, not an actual belief they try to maintain internally.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Methinks that Ubisoft is going to find out that Japan has a history of being notoriously xenophobic for a reason.

The only reason this doesn't get a big outcry in Japan is because literally nobody cares about Ubisoft or AssCreed there. Just wait until we get closer to launch and they realize their precious history is getting rewritten.

Lol.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
This whole AC: Shadows story is real fun. I hope when they finally release the thing, it will prove to be even more offensive to Japanese culture! Can't wait for the ensuing shitstorm, all the apologies and last minute patches to remove some of the material.

Turnaround is fair play. The Japs love homofagging up European culture.

Hell Swarm

Learned

There's shit loads of media making nigger samurai. It's not new because AC did it. Stuff like Afro samurai has existed in Japan for decades.

While I agree in principle, in practice using their own language against them doesn’t work, as I’ve mentioned before. We had like two months of “Stop Asian Hate” during the summer of peace before it became apparent that the spirit of Yasuke was still practicing tsujigiri in modern times and then they all dropped it and never spoke of it again because it’s usefulness as propaganda dried up. For similar reasons, telling them that replacing Asians with blacks is racist won’t work simply because blacks are higher up than Asians in the totem pole, and the “racism” rhetoric is only there to shame other people with principles or something to lose into behaving, not an actual belief they try to maintain internally.
Stop Asian hate dried up very very quickly when they realized it was their pet chimps doing the asian attacks and they couldn't blame whitey. Now Asians are quietly rolled into white categories and sand niggers are called Asian instead.

Spike

Educated
Stuff like Afro samurai has existed in Japan for decades.

Afro Samurai is too boring to get mad at.
Afro Samurai is from a much less homosexual time. It feels like it sprung much more organically from African American interest in Japan and "cool stuff" like samurai etc. I mean Samuel L. Jackson even voices 2 of the characters and he's only ever cared about the rule of cool. AC Shadows is the standard megacorps designed-by-committee thing that is common to the modern gay disco era.

Also, Yasuke is in Nioh 1. You fight him. It's cool. I know he isn't the main character, but maybe it does make sense to select one of the "cool" characters that are in cultural memory and knight him as a samurai even if the actual history is dubious. I do not like defending gay disco megacorps but not everything has to be propaganda. This most surely is, but in Nioh 1 when Team Ninja made the protag a historically documented white guy, no one cared and even thought it was cool. I know TN are obviously Japanese, but still. Surely there are plenty of Asians at Ubisoft? I do not scrawl twitter, are Japanese actually upset at this? Based if so I guess, but I want to leave some room for grace that the decision to have Yasuke be the protagonist was more "this is cool" than "we need to tow the party line so our gay disco can keep on glowing".

Either way, even if the decision is 100% pure and based on rule of cool rather than propaganda, they have done this to themselves. Lefties don't know about the boy who cried wolf.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Stuff like Afro samurai has existed in Japan for decades.

Afro Samurai is too boring to get mad at.
Afro Samurai is from a much less homosexual time. It feels like it sprung much more organically from African American interest in Japan and "cool stuff" like samurai etc. I mean Samuel L. Jackson even voices 2 of the characters and he's only ever cared about the rule of cool. AC Shadows is the standard megacorps designed-by-committee thing that is common to the modern gay disco era.

Also, Yasuke is in Nioh 1. You fight him. It's cool. I know he isn't the main character, but maybe it does make sense to select one of the "cool" characters that are in cultural memory and knight him as a samurai even if the actual history is dubious. I do not like defending gay disco megacorps but not everything has to be propaganda. This most surely is, but in Nioh 1 when Team Ninja made the protag a historically documented white guy, no one cared and even thought it was cool. I know TN are obviously Japanese, but still. Surely there are plenty of Asians at Ubisoft? I do not scrawl twitter, are Japanese actually upset at this? Based if so I guess, but I want to leave some room for grace that the decision to have Yasuke be the protagonist was more "this is cool" than "we need to tow the party line so our gay disco can keep on glowing".

Either way, even if the decision is 100% pure and based on rule of cool rather than propaganda, they have done this to themselves. Lefties don't know about the boy who cried wolf.
My reason for putting niggers in stuff is hecking valid but your reason is wrong!

Maybe we just don't put niggers in things instead?

Silverfish

Arbiter
50cent: Blood on the Sand, but it's Ryan Reynolds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom