Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assload of new OB-screens + videos courtesy of the Germans

Rendelius

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
Let's not try to get too fresh, Rendelius. Stick to 'Using your Fantasy', mmkay?

Why don't you apply your argument, but go back a little further. The main, overwhelming, in-your-face criticism of the graphics from the German screenshots, is the texture-free zones.

You come in and say 'the game will look much better than the German screenshots, on a great PC'.

I point out that the texture-free zones are there FOR EVERY COMPUTER KNOWN TO MAN.

You somehow respond with 'but I wasn't talking about that....'? Talk about dancing - You've invented quite a stylish new set of moves - the Rendelius Passive-Aggressive Straw Man Twist. You must really burn up the local floors with that one!

Way off, Twinfalls. Assuming doesn't get you any further (and trying to be funny neither *g*). What should I reply but "I wasn't talking about the..." when I wasn't talking about the? You tell me :)

All I said is that Oblivion will look way better than in the german video with everything maxed. Period. Look at the videos from the official site. Got my point? Thanks.

It was you who mentioned the so called texture-free zones. Now you tell me "they will be there for every computer known to man". Great find, Twinfalls *g* - what would you suggest my "There ARE limitations to what a computer can handle today" was meant to say?

So, once again:

"Running in full glory" means everything maxed.
It doesn't mean that everything will look photo-realistic.
Because there are linmitations to what computers can do.

Got it?

Twinfalls

Erudite
dongle said:
What, prop their little eyeballs open with toothpicks and make them watch tubgirl videos for a week?

I was thinking more like make them learn the meaning of words other than 'awesome' and 'amazing'. Realising that most things in the world can be 'good in some respects, but also have some flaws' would be very useful for them.

Then tie them up and make them play Mount and Blade, Fallout, Darklands, Gothic, PST, Daggerfall - the usual suspects. But hang on - you can get Tubgirl VIDEOS?!!?

dongle

Scholar
The Internets said:
Well, lets hope for an ini tweak at least. I can't imagine that LOD value is set in stone.
In the SpeedTree demos one could edit the config files to send the grass and plants out beyond the horizon. Barely impacted framerate at all, less than 5FPS average. No idea if the Oblivion .ini features similar settings or not. Oblivion official videos appear to be set to the same settings as the stock maximum SpeedTree settings. I edited it to quadruple that value without any problems. This is the grass, not the ground textures under current scrutiny, but at least if there were more grass it'd cover up the ugly hills.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Rendelius, stop making up bullshit:

Rendelius said:
All I said is that Oblivion will look way better than in the german video with everything maxed. Period. Look at the videos from the official site. Got my point? Thanks.

Here is what you actually said:

Rendelius said:
Actually, we know a lot about the german machine they used for the screenshot. We know even mor from the germans :) - and this is what it is:

So you were talking about the screenshots and the video. We know the video is choppy because of the recording, that's blatantly obvious. The video choppiness is a complete red herring. It's the screenshots that tell the real story.

As for:

It was you who mentioned the so called texture-free zones. Now you tell me "they will be there for every computer known to man". Great find, Twinfalls *g* - what would you suggest my "There ARE limitations to what a computer can handle today" was meant to say?

The 'so-called' texture-free zones can be called whatever you want. Big Blobby Bits, Nothing Zones, Looks Like Ass Scenery.

But they're there, and they will be there no matter how powerful your PC.

Yes there are 'limitations to what computers can do'. But using that to excuse Bethesda for an unoptimised engine running poorly-designed graphics with obvious, jarring inconsistencies, is really stretching the mollycoddling, Papa Rendy.

dongle

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Any game that sells this good is amazing. For the people who buy it at least.
I think I'm finally beginning to be able to just skim over all the bullshit "how dare you!" posts here without commenting and just read the real posts. Took long enough. :( (not meaning to single you out there Lump, there were dozens I could have quoted) Is this worse than normal now?

Rendelius

Liturgist
Now tell me, what's a screenshot biut a still from a video?

You keep ignoring my point and babbling useless crap.

"But they're there, and they will be there no matter how powerful your PC. "

Nobody said different, even if you bring it up the third time.

"Yes there are 'limitations to what computers can do'. But using that to excuse Bethesda for an unoptimised engine running poorly-designed graphics with obvious, jarring inconsistencies, is really stretching the mollycoddling, Papa Rendy."

"Limitations to what computers can do" is a fact, not an excuse. And bashing the graphics that are, as everybody can simply see from the videos, quite amazing (if you dispute that, stop replying, because I don't like to talk to ignorant people), now, that is beyond reason for sure.

Defending a crappy position doesn't improve the position, sweetheart, it just makes you look silly.

And once again, here's what I said (but it won't stop you from derailing *g*):

"Running in full glory" means everything maxed.
It doesn't mean that everything will look photo-realistic.
Because there are linmitations to what computers can do."

dongle

Scholar
Couple more thoughts:

Take a look at the official "1 Week" countdown video, one with the expansive (immersive!) view of the valley with the Imperial City. You walk forwards, up and over a rise, then start down. Say, 15 seconds or so in. Look down. You can clearly see the grass draw in, look closely and you can see the ground texture under the grass go from blurry to in focus too. It happens -really- close to you too. Like maybe ten feet or so. Could that be the same effect that causes the blobby hills? It's much much closer to you. Maybe video compression, but it looks like a game engine thing to me.

Screen goes blurry on the sides when you get hit too. Look at any of the official countdown videos that feature combat. Could that be related to some kind of view cone blurring also?

Check the official "2 Days" video. Right when the first combat scene starts. Look to the left. You can clearly see the "blurry hill effectâ„¢". Oddly it sticks there, regardless of the view angle and the fact that other parts of the ground are just as far away from you and textured. Is that un-textured ground as I argued a few pages back, or does the LOD system load and unload chunks of the ground in odd patterns and not solely by the distance from the player.

nVidia will release a driver this Wednesday specifically optimized for Oblivion:
http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTc2OTcsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=
Apparently true benchmarks are impossible "due to Oblivion randomly placing grass and rocks, changing the amount of grass, and varying other aspects of the terrain". Wonder what "other aspects" they refer too?

Interestingly this randomness is the exactly opposite of what Bethesda devs have said previously. They've (MFSD, I think) said there is some randomness when vegetation is placed in the editor, but that it'll be the same for every player in every game session. Opposite of what nVidia says.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Alright Rendelius, I give up. You're not bothered at all by the blurry hills, while suggesting there are other, more obvious graphical problems which will all disappear on a ninja PC. Let's see what you get today or tomorrow or whenever the damn game finally lands on people's machines.

Rendelius

Liturgist
dongle said:
Couple more thoughts:

Take a look at the official "1 Week" countdown video, one with the expansive (immersive!) view of the valley with the Imperial City. You walk forwards, up and over a rise, then start down. Say, 15 seconds or so in. Look down. You can clearly see the grass draw in, look closely and you can see the ground texture under the grass go from blurry to in focus too. It happens -really- close to you too. Like maybe ten feet or so. Could that be the same effect that causes the blobby hills? It's much much closer to you. Maybe video compression, but it looks like a game engine thing to me.

Screen goes blurry on the sides when you get hit too. Look at any of the official countdown videos that feature combat. Could that be related to some kind of view cone blurring also?

Check the official "2 Days" video. Right when the first combat scene starts. Look to the left. You can clearly see the "blurry hill effectâ„¢". Oddly it sticks there, regardless of the view angle and the fact that other parts of the ground are just as far away from you and textured. Is that un-textured ground as I argued a few pages back, or does the LOD system load and unload chunks of the ground in odd patterns and not solely by the distance from the player.

nVidia will release a driver this Wednesday specifically optimized for Oblivion:
http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTc2OTcsLCxobmV3cywsLDE=
Apparently true benchmarks are impossible "due to Oblivion randomly placing grass and rocks, changing the amount of grass, and varying other aspects of the terrain". Wonder what "other aspects" they refer too?

Interestingly this randomness is the exactly opposite of what Bethesda devs have said previously. They've (MFSD, I think) said there is some randomness when vegetation is placed in the editor, but that it'll be the same for every player in every game session. Opposite of what nVidia says.

Some interesting points there. I try to answer them to my best knowledge.

Grass fade in is to be expected, and the distance at which it happens will obviously be changeable to suit your system. If you look at the large PC screenshots of the forests, they seem to have maxed out draw distance for grass there. I don't expect this amount of foliage seen there to be present but on the best systems out there.

Texture: This is a trade in for the large view distance, and I think this will be more prominent on the Xbox (with no AF, as far as I know). I THINK the PC will handle this better due to AF, but yes, in the distance, this will be visible, at least this is what the videos suggest.

One sidestep concerning the german footage: They had to turn off grass shadows and tree shadows, because the 9800 wasn't able to handle it. They had to disable everything that goes with the 3.0 shader model (which explains why there is so little difference between their standard and maxed vistas). I think that the official videos are a good representation what the game will look like on a high end system (3800+, 7800 GFX), and that you will, like with other games, have to scale down visuals accordingly with weaker systems. I remember when I got fable (yuk), it looked like shit on my 9700, and it was very nice when I swapped in the 7800 (not to say it was a nice game, it wasn't).

Blurry screen hen you get hit is a feature. I actually like it, because I think it is a nice visual representation for pain. Don't think that is new, has been done before, hasn't it?

I think you are right when assuming that the game loads blocks of terrain, not necessarily solely based by the distance from the player. I the german video, you can see two sequences when it says "loading cell". Although it was a low end system, the game flow wasn't interrupted at all, so I think they did it better than in Morrowind, where I have a second or to when I can't move when entering a new area. One thing I noticed in the german video was that a tree looked a little bit displaced after the loading.

About the randomness of objects: From what I know about speedtree, this refers to grass only. So, a bush of grass could be placed a little bit different whenever you walk by (orientation, placement), but I doubt you would even notice it. Trees aren't affected by this, buses aren't affected by this. It's only the grass, as far as I know.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
Alright Rendelius, I give up. You're not bothered at all by the blurry hills, while suggesting there are other, more obvious graphical problems which will all disappear on a ninja PC. Let's see what you get today or tomorrow or whenever the damn game finally lands on people's machines.

All I can say by now is that I am not bothered so far if I compare what I see in the videos from the official site to what to expect from my rig. If I look at the german video, which is showing what the game would look like on a low end system, I am mildly bothered by the scenes at the harbor of the Imperial City, and not at all bothered by all other sceneries out in the wilderness.

Hopefully, I will be able to tell you more in about 12 hours. But so far, no - I think I will like what I see :)

PS: The only thing that bohers me (and really bothers me) from the german video is that it is completely crap when it comes to what you hear when you see something. Did you notice?

dongle

Scholar
Hang on, I wonder if only a certain -number- of texture tiles are shown fully, and the rest are blurred?

The ground textures are prolly a .dds file 256, 512, or whatever, square. It's definitely not just the ones outside a certain radius of the player that get blurred. What if only, say, 1024 of these squares get fully rendered and the rest blurred or not even loaded? The engine would pick the 1024 closest to the player and load them. Now, all the screenshots that look really weird feature water, the ones with only terrain look normal, only far away hills get blurred. The water looks completely opaque in every shot I've seen. So, standing next to a lake throws the engine a curveball because an expanse of ground doesn't need texturing. The first 1024 squares of hills get textures, and ones right next to them get the blurry blobs. That may explain nVidia's comment about varying aspects of terrain.

Just a half-formed thought that popped up. . . .

dongle

Scholar
Rendelius said:
About the randomness of objects: From what I know about speedtree, this refers to grass only. So, a bush of grass could be placed a little bit different whenever you walk by (orientation, placement), but I doubt you would even notice it. Trees aren't affected by this, buses aren't affected by this. It's only the grass, as far as I know.
In the SpeedTree Trees of Pangea demos -everything- but the shape of the terrain was random. Trees, grass, regular 3D meshes such as buildings. Different everytime you play. Has no bearing on Oblivion, I know, just interesting to note.

Bethesda devs have stated that -nothing- in Oblivion is randomized. The controls that lay down vegetation in the Construction Set are, but the game you and I play will be exactly the same everytime, for everyone, everytime we play. I have seen them say this more than once.

This nVidia story I saw for the first time today says: "Our performance testing shows no two benchmark runs are identical in exterior scenes, due to Oblivion randomly placing grass and rocks, changing the amount of grass, and varying other aspects of the terrain." So grass, rocks, and "other aspects of terrain" are randomized. They are speaking of benchmarks so I don't think they mean quality settings, they mean play it with the same settings twice on the same PC and these things are random.

Which is true, I don't know. I doubt nVidia would say that without a clue what they're talking about?

I'm most interested though in "varying other aspects of the terrain" does that refer to choosing random hills and blurring the heck outa them?

Twinfalls

Erudite
Rendelius said:
PS: The only thing that bohers me (and really bothers me) from the german video is that it is completely crap when it comes to what you hear when you see something. Did you notice?

Hmm.. what stood out for me was the complete lack of any footstep sounds. Otherwise, it just sounded a lot like Morrowind...

Actually, one thing you could tell us is whether the German version has any English subtitles. I might actually prefer that version as the voice acting won't sound so obviously bad as some of the English stuff, and it'd be kind of cool, like the Werner Herzog version of the game or something - and I could treat the invisible reins as a surreal arty touch.

kris

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Any game that sells this good is amazing. For the people who buy it at least.
And, before you mention it, yes, Hitler was amazing for the Nazis.

That would be the flawed assumption that everyone only makes great purchases.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Twinfalls said:
Rendelius said:

Hmm.. what stood out for me was the complete lack of any footstep sounds. Otherwise, it just sounded a lot like Morrowind...

Actually, one thing you could tell us is whether the German version has any English subtitles. I might actually prefer that version as the voice acting won't sound so obviously bad as some of the English stuff, and it'd be kind of cool, like the Werner Herzog version of the game or something - and I could treat the invisible reins as a surreal arty touch.

German version is fully localized, no english subtitles. And BTW, german version voice acting normally is much worse than the english one, regardless of which game that is (and the VO for Oblivion aren't that bad, from what I have heard so far. Better than most games I know - I usually try to get originals, not localized versions)

dongle

Scholar
One could probably install the English version and overwrite the sound files with the German voiceovers, if you absolutely had to have spoken German and English text.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Rendelius said:
And BTW, german version voice acting normally is much worse than the english one, regardless of which game that is

But I don't speak German, so I wouldn't notice you see. Anyway, its all moot, as I couldn't get this game to run very well on my machine, and I'm in no hurry to play it yet.....

EvoG

Erudite
dongle said:
Hang on, I wonder if only a certain -number- of texture tiles are shown fully, and the rest are blurred?

The ground textures are prolly a .dds file 256, 512, or whatever, square. It's definitely not just the ones outside a certain radius of the player that get blurred. What if only, say, 1024 of these squares get fully rendered and the rest blurred or not even loaded? The engine would pick the 1024 closest to the player and load them. Now, all the screenshots that look really weird feature water, the ones with only terrain look normal, only far away hills get blurred. The water looks completely opaque in every shot I've seen. So, standing next to a lake throws the engine a curveball because an expanse of ground doesn't need texturing. The first 1024 squares of hills get textures, and ones right next to them get the blurry blobs. That may explain nVidia's comment about varying aspects of terrain.

Just a half-formed thought that popped up. . . .

Hey thats a pretty good grasp of mipmapping you got there Dongle. :D

Yea this blurryness is a biproduct of 3 things:

• Mipmapping, as you sorta described
  • Low contrast terrain textures
  • Dominant 'guide texture' that also needs to be resident in memory
Mipmapping simply is the use of prefiltered textures of increasingly smaller resolution to be used as surfaces recede further away from the camera. This saves processing as the computer wont need to spend time filtering larger textures of inconsequential detail on objects that are far away.

Low contrast textures are ideal for terrains to help avoid 'patterning'(even though its painfully obvious if you look at the grass tiling) and to help blend nicely with adjacent textures(sand to grass to rock to etc). Downside to low contrast textures is that you lose detail almost immediately when you mipmap them. The filtering begins to muddy the textures as the algorithm does its best to retain pixel information from the source texture.

The guide texture is the largish texture(alpha map...and not large in pixel size, but rather in unit scale size) that tells the engine where the grass goes, and where the sand and rocks go. This is also loaded in vram, mipmapped etc. Dongle I believe you said you edited in Unreal? If you look at the terrain system, you can add 'layers' that allow you to designate a 'detail' texture that will be displayed wherever the layer shows white, and blend out as the levels go to black.

This 'issue' is evident in FarCry believe it or not, yet Crytek did a better job of keeping the foliage dense enough at distance that it was less noticeable.

The one anomoly that puzzles me though is the abrupt change in the texture in the german screens 1 and 2 (begining of this thread) to the right of the view. Mipmapping occurs on a gradient, and there are usually several iterations so that there is a nice graduation of the mips as they recede from the camera. The only thing I can think of is that that patch of land is in a "cell" that will be loaded as you approach the load point.

Bottom line though, I dont see it impacting gameplay as much as its being made to sound here. Yea its sucks its not perfect and yea there are ways to improve this (personally I would've sacrificed using speedtree for improved terrain rendering). I'm not using a terrain algorithm myself, so each 'cell' if you will has the underlying geometry that play occurs on, and distant objects and terrain are LOD'd (level of detail) to look good from the distance they will be viewed. The downside is that I have to do it by hand where in a terrain system all of this is automated, but the upside is control for the final look of the image. Anyway, the massive draw distance and the parallax effect as you move through the world is going to be far cooler than people realise. Not a bad trade IMHO, as I rather get vistas than claustrophobia.

Oh and Rendelius, the 360 uses adaptive anisotropic filtering, but it doesn't appear that either version of the game is using it. AF is already expensive as it is when you consider the amount of textures they're already pumping, but at least in the 360's case, you get a reduction in the bandwidth hit a PC would take simply because of the shared memory architecture. Anyway, AF would improve the issues you get with mips, but I dont think they valued that trade off in processing. Again guessing here, but that level of muddiness would tell me they are not using AF, and if they are its a waste of processing power.

Sorry to butt in...carry on.

Rendelius

Liturgist
EvoG said:
Oh and Rendelius, the 360 uses adaptive anisotropic filtering, but it doesn't appear that either version of the game is using it. AF is already expensive as it is when you consider the amount of textures they're already pumping, but at least in the 360's case, you get a reduction in the bandwidth hit a PC would take simply because of the shared memory architecture. Anyway, AF would improve the issues you get with mips, but I dont think they valued that trade off in processing. Again guessing here, but that level of muddiness would tell me they are not using AF, and if they are its a waste of processing power.

Thanks for clarifying.

ixg

Erudite
viewpoint of a mostly clueless (graphics technology-wise) guy:
i still think the graphics aren't what they were cracked up to be. they suck.
much ado over nothing.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
EvoG said:

Not at all, that was a good read, computer graphics interest me and it's nice to see someone who works with it help explain. (without having to be a mathematicion to understand that is :D )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom