Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assload of new OB-screens + videos courtesy of the Germans

Tintin

Arbiter
All of the specs on the computer they're playing on are below the reccomended requirements (except for ram). I think it's to be expected that it will not look like Bethesda's hype or screenshots make it look. Running Morrowind below the reccomended would also make it look much, much worse then it already is.

I didn't check that site too much, but do they post anywhere what they have turned on/off?

dongle

Scholar
Tintin said:
I didn't check that site too much, but do they post anywhere what they have turned on/off?
Yes, they say highest detail right on the shot, albeit in German.

I still maintain it is not related to the distance from the player, or the angle of view. We see it happening at all distances and view angles in the linked shots. That leads me to believe it’s not an Anisotropic filtering deal. Something funky is happening, what I don’t know.

Can anyone find a shot of the -same- piece of ground, one where it’s happening, and one not? That would tell us whether it’s a filtering/LOD deal or not for sure.

Tintin

Arbiter

What do you mean higest detail? They were able to get highest level of graphics using a system under the reccomended requirements? Or do you just mean highest resolution.

dongle

Scholar
Long as you’ve got a DX9c/Shader Model 3 compatible card a screenshot won’t look noticeably different. You may be getting 5FPS and be unable to do anything on a low-end box, but it’ll fine for taking screenshots.

Man I’ll be glad when everyone has the game and stops this shouting “unoptimized” at every turn. Gets a little old.

Tintin

Arbiter
Long as you’ve got a DX9c/Shader Model 3 compatible card a screenshot won’t look noticeably different. You may be getting 5FPS and be unable to do anything on a low-end box, but it’ll fine for taking screenshots.

But they said they were running the game with options for a reasonable FPS.

And I don't think a Radeon 9800 is a shader model 3 compatible card

Makus

Novice
dongle said:
Highest detail on their rig, isn't highest detail of the game...

Makus

Novice
fizzelopeguss said:
shader model 3 is a performance upgrade from sm2.0, not image quality.
Not exactly... It can use a lot more complicated shaders, but the truth is, that new games do not use full potential of SM 2.0...

Irwanday01

Novice
all of the illegal pics I have are dated 3E 433, The are the russian pics.

So the russian version of the game is getting a German translation?Makes sense.

What the fuck are you talking about, I'm talking about the russian shots from months ago. They are dated 3E 433.

leyawiinmap01.jpg

dongle

Scholar
Jesus people, complicated shader support? It’s a fucking HILL.

Game doesn’t look like the Bethesda promo “screenshots”, give it up.

dongle

Scholar
Tintin said:
But they said they were running the game with options for a reasonable FPS.
Those screenshots we link above with the two versions of the same scene? Those are done specifically to show the difference between maxed out settings and medium ones. Hills look blurry on both. Only difference I can see is a few less bushes in the maxed out versions.

Tintin

Arbiter
It can't be maxed out settings, though, because Bethesda released the video of the hills and there is no ultra-blurry hills in the background. So unless Bethesda implemented a better system for the video and then....uh...removed them for the final game, it doesn't make sense that the maxed out version looks like that.

merry andrew

Erudite
Venom said:
merry andrew said:
Oh dear the game is sluggish in those videos. Reminds me of when I first got Morrowind... those were the days.
Actually, it's stated that the videos are laggy because the video card used to take them is shitty.
Sorry, I didn't know a Radeon 9800 was shitty.

sanibonani

Novice
LOL

http://www.justgamers.de/kmx/modul_cms/ ... eich-2.jpg

Looks like Magic Carpet, circa 1994.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/magic ... otId,2292/

Seriously though, I do think those screenshots are far from the maximum settings. I remember what Morrowind looked like without DX8 support, and I think we are seeing the equivalent here. Hardly a reliable source either - none of the other reviewers got a final pre-release copy, they were given a few days to play it at Bethsoft. This could just be an act of wanton cruelty by the Germans (anyone watch American Dad, "I'm German - it's what we do!")

Probably best not to argue for now, I'll have the damn thing in a few hours - I've got a decent rig with an x1800, so I'll post some shots with all the candy.

The Internets

Scholar
Irwanday01 said:
What the fuck are you talking about, I'm talking about the russian shots from months ago. They are dated 3E 433.

Wow. What the 'fuck' I meant was the russian shots would presumably be for a russian translation, so the German text shown in these new pictures would have me believe they are not from that batch. Why would a Russian company be working on a German translation? It's not impossible of course, but not likely.

As far as the date, yeah, and? I have no idea what "3e" even means but unless it means "a particular day" it doesn't mean the pictures are from the same source.

dongle

Scholar
sanibonani said:
Seriously though, I do think those screenshots are far from the maximum settings. I remember what Morrowind looked like without DX8 support, and I think we are seeing the equivalent here. Hardly a reliable source either - none of the other reviewers got a final pre-release copy, they were given a few days to play it at Bethsoft. This could just be an act of wanton cruelty by the Germans.
Vindictive un-optimized settings! That’s a new one.

Better get these in while the getting’s good folks. Let's give this stupid fanboy excuse shit a rousing sendoff!

Venom

Scholar
dongle said:
sanibonani said:
Seriously though, I do think those screenshots are far from the maximum settings. I remember what Morrowind looked like without DX8 support, and I think we are seeing the equivalent here. Hardly a reliable source either - none of the other reviewers got a final pre-release copy, they were given a few days to play it at Bethsoft. This could just be an act of wanton cruelty by the Germans.
Vindictive un-optimized settings! That’s a new one.

Better get these in while the getting’s good folks. Let's give this stupid fanboy excuse shit a rousing sendoff!
Let's be honest here. Look at the recent videos....They are in-game and look a few generations better then these screenshots.

It's not like the game always look this shitty.

It does look like shit on normal PCs though. But it looks much better on super PCs/consoles.

The Internets

Scholar
Venom said:
Let's be honest here. Look at the recent videos....They are in-game and look a few generations better then these screenshots.

Wouldn't that be nice.
obx29B.jpg

An "official" screen shot like that pretty much seals the deal.

That LOD is so nasty it deserves it's own name. "Vaso-Vision" "Barbra-WaltersCam", or perhaps, "Looks Like Shit".

ps...The sad part is from a distance it starts to look better, but considering the hardware you'd think they could pull off something better than that.

Venom

Scholar
Okay I understand you hate the game, but when you go as far as ignoring actual in game videos, it's just ignoring any positive things about the game.

The combat is alot better then Morrowind ( just look at the 2 days video) and the quests are actually deep, got multiple ways to do them unlike Morrowind.

It's not being critical when you ignore everything a game offer and just concentrate on shitty screenshots.

Don't graphics not matter anyway?

I can admit the game is a fucking downgrade as an RPG:

No spears, levitation, mark and recall, less skills.

But some people here can't admit the good things the game have. It's gonna be a mediocre RPG but one hell of a fantasy game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom