Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Astral Chain - PlatinumGames action title

Ivan

Arcane
Game's getting glowing reviews, but I don't have a switch :negative: still waiting for Bayo 3 before I pull that trigger

Played this a little yesterday, it's very stylish and the framerate is OK, seems to be all over the place with many different gameplay elements. A little too weeb for my tastes but seems like a fun game.

kalganoat

Savant
It's a meh for me. I thought this plays like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising but it's not. You essentially are a dog walker. You order your dog to attack and retreat. You can also use the chain to trip and bind enemies. That's it I think unless there are more game mechanics later on. I agree with the other comment. There's not enough fighting and too much random shit like walking around, talking to people and investigation with detective vision (Batman Arkham style).

I played a bit more. There are more mechanics like combo and jump attack. A lot of the moves take the control away from you though. Also I gotta say the 30fps is hurting this game man just like Bloodborne. Also I just can't play with for too long. Everything is shiny as fuck and made up of only three colors: blue, red and grey. It's light pollution and it's hurting my eyes.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't know Yoko Taro games first hand, but this seems very hodge podge. Walk around a vague sci fi place filled with way too many particles and filters, fight some pointless combat without much of a challenge or tactics, follow the quest marker to 'investigate'.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
I don't know Yoko Taro games first hand, but this seems very hodge podge. Walk around a vague sci fi place filled with way too many particles and filters, fight some pointless combat without much of a challenge or tactics, follow the quest marker to 'investigate'.

This is directed by Hideki Kamiya, who is one of the most prolific action game designers in the industry. Combat will be great if anything.

Edit: I've been informed by an anonymous source that he is not directing :negative:

Last edited:
The director of this game is Takahisa Taura, who was one of the two main designers for Nier:Automata. He also worked as designer on many other Platinum games like Revengeance, Legend of Korra and Wonderful 101.

Kamiya acted as project 'supervisor'.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a meh for me. I thought this plays like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising but it's not. You essentially are a dog walker. You order your dog to attack and retreat. You can also use the chain to trip and bind enemies.

Is it similar to playing V in DMC5? Your character doesn't actually fight and someone else does it for you. Didn't like his missions too much.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
Your character attacks, but dodging has almost zero I-frames so you need to rely on your legion to create opportunities and maintain spacing.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, I picked this up for some reason and played through the first two files (there are apparently 11, and something happens after the second that signals end of the 'opening' arc).

Due to my long years without a console or much interest in action, I have actually never played Bayonetta, Nier, or even DMC - but here are some quick impressions for what it's worth. Happy to be told what I might be missing.

The game is very stylish in an over the top way - it's good at what it does in a bombastic anime-Hollywood way. I do really enjoy the music in a way that a Guilty Gear soundtrack is worth listening to just for some guitar jamming. It's not something that really feels like a real city, or has any kind of grittiness, or the graphics and art pulls you into a real world the way KC:D forests do, of course, but for running around in an anime police mecha world it's done well.

But the story and characters it seems like is going to be super juvenile. E.g. the opening cutscene could just be copy-pasted from Evangelion, with the all-knowing police chief who looks like Gendo Ikari 30 years older staring fearlessly at the lab glass as the new dangerous mecha slams into it and then is pulled back. Bo-fucking-ring. At least GITS made the section chief a Yoda. I don't mind anime per se, but I mind how generic it is. The story so far is literally lifted straight from every anime cliche playbook - demonic invasion of earth, yes of course science must try to control it to fight back, of course it fails, of course you're a chosen one, yadda yadda. I'm sure it will get typically anime twists later on about how the good guys were in on it and there's a dark secret to your power and so on. It's all, again, done stylish enough that I can stomach it, unlike, say, Fire Emblem Conquest, but I wouldn't call it exactly gripping. At least nobody's walking around the police station with a giant zweihander, shoulder pauldrons and bikinis.

I'm not sure if I can really comment on combat as such an action gameplay noob. Right now I'm just getting C ranks in my missions trying to get comfortable with the combat, and the 'twist' at end of file 2 seems to really open up the combat as well. Your character does fight - I suppose you could choose to mostly stay out of the way and send your mech dog, but I think the intent is, and the most fun way is, to constantly move both yourself and the legion. You can use the chain to tie people up or even make them run into your chain in a boxing ring rope way, gimmicky but cool and fun. It's not that fiddly or annoying to move the two things at once, even for me. No real combos or such, unless they crop up after the 'twist'?

I am, all in all, having fun with it for now, while thinking it's not a particularly superb game and more of an anime-Hollywood experience crossed with what could be quite good actiony combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom