Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ATOM RPG: Trudograd - standalone expansion sequel to ATOM RPG

Yosharian

Arcane
I still need to play the original... Anyone got a good build?

I like being smart and charismatic and shooting things with an AK-47

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Anyone got a good build?

Looks like you got your build already...

It's gonna suck though ... This isn't Fallout, you can't outrun everything, you'll drown in your own blood times and again.

I'm advising for either smart or charismatic and you want some HP.

jackofshadows

Magister
I still need to play the original... Anyone got a good build?

Since dialogues and companions are godawful in this game, I'd advise against charisma investment entirely, just start as a wahman to get the ability to utilize extra char-buffs if absolutely necessary. As for int - it's a bit tricky. I'd say 8 is the optimal but no big spoiler that
there's respec potion later in the game so you can eigher pump it up at the start or simply ignore and set 8 for checks
Agility is the best stat, no suprizes there, perseption 6-7 is enough, str 6, end 8 (6 at least), the rest dump in luck.
Automatic weapons - good choice although there's not much useful skills overall so yo can raise one more combat-related as well. For solo run pistols are very nice because you can use shields (that's right) with'em and end turn with it every time for insane defensive bonuses.

flushfire

Augur
There's no need to dump Personality as long as you dump Luck, which is an all-or-nothing stat anyway.

jackofshadows

Magister
as you dump Luck, which is an all-or-nothing stat anyway.
I disagree. It's no Fallout, so even beyond CS usefulness and extremely high luck stuff it affects caravan appearing frequency (which is quite useful although not as in older patches), the loot overall (including chance of some rare things at the caravans again), amount of shahids among cultists and apparently more minor stuff which I'm just not aware of.

Sòren what's the matter? It's the second time I'm getting this rating for calling ATOM's writing shit and perhaps some time later I'll write a proper rant about it because it still haunts me but for now I just gotta say this: I've played it on russian. Maybe, just maybe, Atomboy did a great job making it much more tolerable but it was painful, terrible experience to me.

flushfire

Augur
I disagree. It's no Fallout, so even beyond CS usefulness and extremely high luck stuff it affects caravan appearing frequency (which is quite useful although not as in older patches), the loot overall (including chance of some rare things at the caravans again), amount of shahids among cultists and apparently more minor stuff which I'm just not aware of.
Is there any proof of these? I have done a run with max luck and noticed no difference.

Edit: even Atomboy has said it only affects crit, some skills and some checks.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Is there any proof of these? I have done a run with max luck and noticed no difference.
Tbh, no (at least I haven't seen any). Just my observations and some other player's. For instance, I spend few months in Peregon trying to get BZT-75 with low luck char. But when I played last time with 8 - rolled it (on ~same level) for a few days. Could be coinsidence (or just a hidden patch change), sure, but it was a very long grindy run and I did feel a difference regarding loot overall.

Thing is, since END can be buffed before tough fights, AP already maxed as well as picked skills and there's enough str/per for chosen weapons there's no other stat which require raising anyway. And even charisma can be buffed if needed.
by 7 for women I beleive which is kinda ridiculous

jackofshadows

Magister
Edit: even Atomboy has said it only affects crit, some skills and some checks.
Good to know that I was wrong then. I mean, apparently they did tweak some stuff like trader's values through the patches. Although my reasoning about high enough for some stats are still stands I think because crit chance is quite significant.

jackofshadows

Magister
Sooo... Is it a good build or not?

Quite happy to dump CHA if it's not super useful
I went with very similiar (6/8/10/8/7/rest+free from trait+gimmicks etc, the game has hidden ways to raise stats a bit) except with rifles/shotguns+pistols/SMG and mentioned shield end turn idea. And, well, it's kinda embarassing to tell but I died on pre-final fight by some crazy-crazy chance (the guy with mashinegun got me). Needless to say it was survival difficulty and I did more tougher fights actually on that run so I think build is still quite good.

CHA is not useless but for the most part it just allows to know more about bunch of certain NPCs (otherwise they do not bother to tell). Although you're already know my opinion on that. However iirc some quests require that approach but it possible to use buffs beforehand as I said before. It also affect fuckableness but I'm sure you'd rather skip that aspect in ATOM entirely.

Sykar

Arcane
Tbh, no (at least I haven't seen any). Just my observations and some other player's. For instance, I spend few months in Peregon trying to get BZT-75 with low luck char. But when I played last time with 8 - rolled it (on ~same level) for a few days. Could be coinsidence (or just a hidden patch change), sure, but it was a very long grindy run and I did feel a difference regarding loot overall.

Thing is, since END can be buffed before tough fights, AP already maxed as well as picked skills and there's enough str/per for chosen weapons there's no other stat which require raising anyway. And even charisma can be buffed if needed.
by 7 for women I beleive which is kinda ridiculous

Nothing ridiculous about that:
thumbnail

16d55cd0407a7ce30a61e3e3ebdd2750.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jinn

Arcane
So while I've enjoyed ATOM RPG quite a bit, my biggest problem with it would have to be an unbalanced pacing in terms of gameplay vs. dialogue. I know talking to NPCs is optional, but it's also one of the only ways you can find quests and progress. I've often times felt bogged down when I've booted up the game to find I've got 10 NPCs around me with page after page of text to read, or quickly get dialogue fatigued when I enter a new area. Don't get me wrong, I like the dialogue, but it just often felt like there was a bit too much to wade through before you got back to playing the game proper (IE exploration, combat, character customization, etc.)

So, my question for Atomboy is: has this been noted by ATOM Team and altered in any way for Trudograd, or are we in for a very similar design approach in this as well?

flushfire

Augur
Is there a list of permanent bonuses you can accrue to your Characteristics?
1 free point from fishing, you need the craftable lure and 11 luck
2 free points from serums in roaring forest and dead city
+1 dex tattoo in dead city
+1 luk from roaring forest statue

jackofshadows

Magister
I found it quite fun(ny), it's probably the game i've played that handles it best.
Did you play as a male/female or both?
1 free point from fishing, you need the craftable lure and 11 luck
2 free points from serums in roaring forest and dead city
+1 dex tattoo in dead city
+1 luk from roaring forest statue
In addtition to that
In order to utilize +1 dex you don't have to play most of the game with 9 dex, it's much more wise just use respec potion before gettin tattoo. Also I don't think 11 luck is mandatory for fishing but chances are ridiculously small on anything lower than 10, so...

Sòren

Arcane
Sòren what's the matter? It's the second time I'm getting this rating for calling ATOM's writing shit and perhaps some time later I'll write a proper rant about it because it still haunts me but for now I just gotta say this: I've played it on russian. Maybe, just maybe, Atomboy did a great job making it much more tolerable but it was painful, terrible experience to me.

i enjoyed it, highly. writing is better than in almost any other game i have ever played, i loved it in companions, quests and story. i already wrote things about in the old thread, and i don't feel compelled to repeat me. however, u are entitled to ur own opinion and taste, and i don't want to be part of the group of shitflinging monkeys that roam these forums here, so i redacted my first assessment. i was just sleep deprived yesterday. sry.

jackofshadows

Magister
So, as a male it was fun, kind of Austin Powers in USSR.
I see. Yeah, I get that. Problem is, the game doesn't hold that goofy tone all the time, unfortunately. And in any case, imo they'd better just leave the black screen for sex scenes instead of that.
i enjoyed it, highly. writing is better than in almost any other game i have ever played, i loved it in companions, quests and story. i already wrote things about in the old thread, and i don't feel compelled to repeat me. however, u are entitled to ur own opinion and taste, and i don't want to be part of the group of shitflinging monkeys that roam these forums here, so i redacted my first assessment. i was just sleep deprived yesterday. sry.
Nah man, it's perfectly fine, I don't care much about the ratings but ATOM's writing receive on Codex is what just baffles me greatly. Since I lost my survival save I will do one more run in order to import it later so I'll start on english and will try to dig into it.

flushfire

Augur
but ATOM's writing receive on Codex is what just baffles me greatly.
For what its worth, I don't think the writing is godawful as you said, but also not one of the best like that other guy claims. I don't think that's the general consensus here either. I never see ATOM mentioned whenever there's talk of well-written RPGs, there were just a few guys praising the writing in it's own thread. I personally found the coherence of the world to be a little lacking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom