Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Avernum: Escape From the Pit Announced

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller

^ Top  
  2. Nedrah Erudite

Nedrah
    Great news.
    I've been wanting to play the Avernum series for ages. The one thing that kept me from doing so was the atrocious UI. Screens are looking great.

^ Top  
  3. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    Shit i really hope that this is not true.. maybe for the ifag shit but not for PC..

and i wonder why the hell he didnt consider remake EXILE..that game was great!!

^ Top  
  4. CreamyBlood Arcane

CreamyBlood
    The last Vogel game I played was, I think, Exiles (Blades?). It was on a 486 running W3.1 under OS/2. I had fun with it at the time as I recall.

My guess as to why he's doing it is that he already has the codebase, is experienced with Macs and iPhones and just wants to try tapping into a lucrative market. It would take a bit of work porting but not as much effort as developing a new game and if it works, free money. If not, then he learned a lesson without losing a tonne of time and energy.

If that's his goal then dumbing it down makes sense to me and isn't any different from the rest of the industry these days. Maybe someone else will fill his niche.

^ Top  
  5. Linden Arcane

Linden
    This is the new shit
    Stand up and admit it
    Do we need it? NO!
    Do we want it? YEAH!

YEAH!!

^ Top  
  6. curry Arcane

curry
    who are you to judge. You've never released anything :smug:

^ Top  
  7. Marobug Newbie

Marobug
    CONSOLETARD

:mob:

^ Top  
  8. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    I think it's a good idea for developers of ancient games to upgrade the tech every 5-10 years if possible. Keeps the game fresh for the new generation and the fans who want to replay on new operating systems.

Would've been awesome if games like Planescape Torment and Arcanum were updated with higher quality sprites for 1080p resolution by the original developers instead of fan-mods. Fan mods can do only so much. Like Diablo 2, which I just re-installed, was updated with new patch from Blizzard breaking the HD patch and forcing us backt o 1024 res on 1920x1080 res. Blah!

I am of course talking about developers updating tech for better visuals at higher resolutions and added fixes demanded by the community. Changing the gameplay completely will be a douchy move.

^ Top  
  9. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    He goes where the money is. Only logical move if you develop indie games for a living.

^ Top  
  10. If he's dumbing it down, is there a minimum level of dumbness needed to play it? He should put that in the "system requirements" box.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    On something like Arcanum, switching the gameplay up with a patch might be cool too. When you've seen the peoples respponse, and are in a situation where you can tune the balance, why not try to make it better? Remove some of the excessive monsters, make the remaining ones more interesting, change item stats and make character advancement options more balanced with each other... The good parts of the game would remain intact, while the bad parts might be improved.

Same with Avernum really - just remains to be seen if he'll do anything good about the issues (that I have) with the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.