Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Gargaune

Arcane
Oblivion has Nehrim, Skyrim has Enderal. What is the possibility that there will be another cool mod like those for Avowed?
Zero. Nevermind the fanbase difference, it's Unreal Engine 5, and I ain't heard shit to indicate that'll be any more accessible for modding than the Unreal Engine 4 that The Otter Worlds was running.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's what you can expect from Avowed. A by-the-numbers product that's not particularly good, but likely won't be a disaster either. Another Safesidian project.
This made me think. Oblivion has Nehrim, Skyrim has Enderal. What is the possibility that there will be another cool mod like those for Avowed?
UE games don't get mod tools.

Readher

Savant
That's what you can expect from Avowed. A by-the-numbers product that's not particularly good, but likely won't be a disaster either. Another Safesidian project.
This made me think. Oblivion has Nehrim, Skyrim has Enderal. What is the possibility that there will be another cool mod like those for Avowed?
UE games don't get mod tools.
Some do, like Squad.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I might be out of touch but is it normal to release cosplay guides for companions that we know almost nothing about or is this something that Obsidian have taken upon themselves to do? I don't know much about cosplaying but I hear it's expensive, do cosplayers really want to spend a ton of money and time on a costume for a character who might turn out to be a raging asshole?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I might be out of touch but is it normal to release cosplay guides for companions that we know almost nothing about or is this something that Obsidian have taken upon themselves to do? I don't know much about cosplaying but I hear it's expensive, do cosplayers really want to spend a ton of money and time on a costume for a character who might turn out to be a raging asshole?
You're still sane. This is stupid.

frajaq

Erudite
It stinks of Bioware-ism that's for sure. But even Bioware at least showed more about companions before doing cosplay guides

Shaki

Arbiter
For sure, I bet Roguey is already preparing his cosplay

Sannom

Augur
It's not usual, no. What's even weirder is that they release them at somewhat odd times, although this one's somewhat sensible, appearing right after the character's first appearance and voiced line. Whereas they released Kai's cosplay guide so randomly that I'm personally convinced they did it because they wanted to "reveal" his full look and signature weapon themselves before they revealed it in a fanart celebrating Baldur's Gate 3's launch.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Also nobody is going to seriously mod a smaller, uglier, jankier, cheaper version of skyrim in 2024.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The previous version of Bloodlines 2 also did this. It's just the norm now. Cosplayers = additional promotional of course they're going to embrace it.

Feels like an attempt to reverse cause and effect. Before, you created a character, they became popular, and people wanted to cosplay as them. Now they act like getting people to cosplay will make the character popular.

Old Hans

Arcane
that we know almost nothing about or is this something that Obsidian have taken upon themselves to do?
I remember this trend starting back during dragon age 2. its another shitty marketing trend along with those cringe worthy fireside chat dev videos

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
You are the envoy of Aedyr, a distant land, sent to investigate rumors of a spreading plague throughout the Living Lands

Oh no a plague. I hope they make a vaccine real quick

Are NPCs completely incapable of writing something that isn't part of the WEF platform?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You are the envoy of Aedyr, a distant land, sent to investigate rumors of a spreading plague throughout the Living Lands

Are NPCs completely incapable of writing something that isn't part of the WEF platform?
To be fair, this game has been in development hell for so long, that idea might even predate the chink flu.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron

To be fair, this game has been in development hell for so long, that idea might even predate the chink flu.
To be extra super fair, it doesn't even have to be as stupid as it sounds.

What I loved about the plot in Baldur's Gate is that on the surface it was "You are an orphan trying to unveil the reason behind the iron shortage", which sounds about as interesting and original as "rumors of a spreading plague", but the actual plot of Baldur's Gate wasn't about that at all.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

What I loved about the plot in Baldur's Gate is that on the surface it was "You are an orphan trying to unveil the reason behind the iron shortage", which sounds about as interesting and original as "rumors of a spreading plague", but the actual plot of Baldur's Gate wasn't about that at all.
OK, but Avowed is going to be about how a white guy from Aedyr brought the plague here on purpose to genocide the poor natives, and it'll be a soul plague because that's the extent of Pillows worldbuilding.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron

OK, but Avowed is going to be about how a white guy from Aedyr brought the plague here on purpose to genocide the poor natives, and it'll be a soul plague because that's the extent of Pillows worldbuilding.
You're right, but I was being extra super fair. Not that this game deserves such a treatment.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact that the player is locked to being an emissary from the Human/Elf empire, one of the oldest states in the world and a colonial power, guarantees Patel & co. will be playing the colonial guilt card to a screeching falsetto.

For those who don't remember, Aedyr are "the British accent guys" in this setting.

Reinhardt

Arcane

to be extra extra super fair iron shortage is more creative than YET ANOTHER PLAGUE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom