Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Aarwolf

Learned
She's quite cute

slGHvfkR_400x400.jpg

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How does the good ol’ boy structure of the founders coexist with the SJW retards of nuObsidian I wonder? Why would they hire these dangerhairs over their fellow white men, and even promote them? Feargus doesn’t strike me as that progressive. Patel and Dollahyde fucking blow, is there truly no one else at Obsidian capable of stepping up now?

Patel was hired because Fenstermaker got along with her and Avellone made the claim that at this point the owners would only ever hire a person if Eric liked them after what happened with Gonzalez. Beyond that point, it's just a case of getting more applications from these kinds of people. It's a zeitgeist; a lot more women are applying and getting jobs in the game industry, almost all the guys are cringelibs/lefties. Being cringelibs themselves, the current middle-managers are just going with the flow. Additionally, merit was never how people advanced at Obsidian to start with, why start now?

jungl

Augur
nd8nbf44rq081.jpg

It doesn't get more libcringe then this. Obsidian can't peak this unless they write a edgy anti hero that murders the bad guys out of rage cause he identifies as a strong black woman from previous life

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Additionally, merit was never how people advanced at Obsidian to start with, why start now?
Too bad they missed the point that obsidian was founded entirely due to merit...

I don't understand what you mean. Black Isle imploded due to Interplay's mismanagement so three pals pooled their money together to start their own studio and then two additional Chrises chipped in as minor partners.

Codex Year of the Donut
Additionally, merit was never how people advanced at Obsidian to start with, why start now?
Too bad they missed the point that obsidian was founded entirely due to merit...

I don't understand what you mean. Black Isle imploded due to Interplay's mismanagement so three pals pooled their money together to start their own studio and then two additional Chrises chipped in as minor partners.
Black Isle folded because of Interplay, not because of Black Isle.
Urquhart left Black Isle and took talent with him to found a new studio that didn't suffer due to the ineptness of a parent company.

Codex Year of the Donut
Black Isle folded because of Interplay, not because of Black Isle.
Urquhart left Black Isle and took talent with him to found a new studio that didn't suffer due to the ineptness of a parent company.

Just their own ineptness. :M
Of their first 4 released games(including DLC,) 3 are now considered all-time classics.
According to Ziets, Dungeon Siege 3 had a lot of publisher meddling which is how it resulted in what it is. But hey, nice boobs.
Stick of Truth may not be liked here, but it was extremely well received(remains the highest rated Obsidian game on Steam at this time with a 97%(!) review score, beating FNV's 96%) and probably the best-selling game Obsidian made(in terms of near-release full-price sales) until Grounded's unexpected success.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Of their first 4 released games(including DLC,) 3 are now considered all-time classics.
And as Avellone put it during his May of Rage, they succeeded in spite of the owners, not because of them.

According to Ziets, Dungeon Siege 3 had a lot of publisher meddling which is how it resulted in what it is. But hey, nice boobs.

The meddling with regard to narrative came from Feargus himself who became even worse when it came to their DSIV pitch according to Avellone. :M

Codex Year of the Donut
And as Avellone put it during his May of Rage, they succeeded in spite of the owners, not because of them.

The meddling with regard to narrative came from Feargus himself who became even worse when it came to their DSIV pitch according to Avellone. :M
Feargus' strength was never his ability to actually make a game. He should have stayed out of the design process and stuck to what he does best, eating food and mediating disputes between socially inept nerds who can actually make games. Well, I guess he stuck to one of those.

Ryzer

Arcane
Hey guys I heard Black Isles staff reunited in a new company known as Obsidian, how are RPGs going?
How is the new Planescape Torment?

2022: :?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Is an oath worth the weight of a crown ?
Once you were a hero,a watcher, then you turned into a king or queen but with that came pride, disparity and sin. Now your kingdom is in ruins, war, enemies surrounding you even from within your walls. A new hero must rise and reforge the kingdom.
What do you think?

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Seriously, out of all dangerhairs they could pick from, they gave lead to the worst one.

PST: What can change the nature of the man.
F1: War never changes
FNV: The game was rigged from the start
Avowed: lol I'm like so awkward you know hehehe

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I watched about 3 hrs of RK47's LP of the Outer Worlds, and I dread to see what they will shit out with Avowed, seriously.

RepHope

Savant
How does the good ol’ boy structure of the founders coexist with the SJW retards of nuObsidian I wonder? Why would they hire these dangerhairs over their fellow white men, and even promote them? Feargus doesn’t strike me as that progressive. Patel and Dollahyde fucking blow, is there truly no one else at Obsidian capable of stepping up now?

Patel was hired because Fenstermaker got along with her and Avellone made the claim that at this point the owners would only ever hire a person if Eric liked them after what happened with Gonzalez. Beyond that point, it's just a case of getting more applications from these kinds of people. It's a zeitgeist; a lot more women are applying and getting jobs in the game industry, almost all the guys are cringelibs/lefties. Being cringelibs themselves, the current middle-managers are just going with the flow. Additionally, merit was never how people advanced at Obsidian to start with, why start now?
Refresh my memory: what happened with Gonzalez?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Refresh my memory: what happened with Gonzalez?
I don’t blame Eric for not being able to change any of these things – I do think he provided guidance to a lot of new Eternity writers, and we did work to accommodate him after New Vegas.

But before you think I’m being overly magnanimous, Eric absolutely drove away a lot of talented writers (esp. John Gonzalez – Shadow over Mordor, Horizon Zero Dawn), although John likely wouldn’t ever admit to the fact that Eric hated him; also, we were forced to isolate Eric from John’s Lead Writer responsibilities (which was a failure on our part, but I wasn’t in charge of New Vegas, which had a lot of inner development conflicts across the board).

Even more after John left, we actually changed our hiring procedure to cater to Eric on Eternity, since we knew if he didn’t approve of a writer, you might as well set a torch any writer that worked with him.

Overall, I thought John was a great writer.

When I talked to Eric about the perspectives on John (since no one else had), his solution was, “let’s just divide New Vegas tasks so John and I never have to interact with each other,” which was like, that moment where all the sound evaporates from the room and all you see is the other person’s lips moving, but you can’t bring yourself to acknowledge what they’re saying. I mean, the person you're denouncing - he’s your Lead. He’s a good writer. So are you. Try to meet in the middle. But – no, that was not to be.

Despite the situation, John turned in his notice (which also broke me a little more) and went on to bigger and better things – Mordor, Horizon: Zero Dawn. Kudos to him, but a huge loss for Obsidian in writing talent (much like George Ziets and Travis Stout). All could have been prevented, imo.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I watched about 3 hrs of RK47's LP of the Outer Worlds, and I dread to see what they will shit out with Avowed, seriously.
Whatever it will be, you can be sure there will be a lot of very angry posters with very loose buttons to defend the honoure of the devs.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I bet all of my money that this will be set ages before POE so they don't have to add flintlock guns.
guns in pillars are matchlock, not flintlock
Kind of, its weird.
The long arms are matchlocks (they are called arquebus), but there were no such thing as matchlock pistols. That's more of a wheel lock/flintlock thing.
Which really doesn't make sense if you're familiar with the history of arms development but that's how it is.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I bet all of my money that this will be set ages before POE so they don't have to add flintlock guns.
Kind of, its weird.
The long arms are matchlocks (they are called arquebus), but there were no such thing as matchlock pistols. That's more of a wheel lock/flintlock thing.
Which really doesn't make sense if you're familiar with the history of arms development but that's how it is.
Word of God is they're wheellock.
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60265-please-no-guns/page/2/#comment-1192544

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Kind of, its weird.
Word of God is they're wheellock.
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60265-please-no-guns/page/2/#comment-1192544
Huh, strange, the sprite looked more like a flintlock to me, but if they're wheellock they're wheellock I guess.
Also, why the aversion towards firearms in fantasy? I don't get that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whatever it will be, you can be sure there will be a lot of very angry posters with very loose buttons to defend the honoure of the devs.
Really? At this point I don't imagine there is much of a fan club left.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom