Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I completely forgot that there is a new Fable being made. I know it's not going to be good, but I really wish it would be. Just make something similar to the first game with better graphics and less dumb shit like boasts. I miss the very British style of humor that games like Fable and Giants: Citizen Kabuto had.

Fable is the only game that has me even remotely interested out of that list though. Maybe the Henua one too. I still have to play the first one.

Goldschmidt

Learned
I think we can forget about Pillars 3 happening with Obsidian burning down like that. Offline PC gaming is truly dead. Shitty low polygon indie sidescrollers and terrible control AAA console ports is all what is left. It was a fun hobby while it lasted before it became too popular for its own good.

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
I think we can forget about Pillars 3 happening with Obsidian burning down like that. Offline PC gaming is truly dead. Shitty low polygon indie sidescrollers and terrible control AAA console ports is all what is left. It was a fun hobby while it lasted before it became too popular for its own good.
what, its dead now and not 10 years ago?

Goldschmidt

Learned
what, its dead now and not 10 years ago?
It practically died mid-end 2000 because of c&c. Casuals and consoles.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

So... is this game happening or obsidian is still stuck at... Pentiment?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's no mention about Avowed, in fact the word "Avowed" is mentioned in total 0.00 time.
Vapourwave.
https://www.thegamer.com/avowed-development-release-date-next-thing-after-starfield-xbox/
On the latest episode of the VGC podcast, editor-in-chief Andy Robinson shares what he knows about Xbox's game schedule for 2023 (around the 15:45 mark).

"I think the nearest ones to them are Hellblade and probably Avowed," says Robinson. "That's the next big thing for them that they'll be talking about. From my understanding, those two are the closest."

The podcast then goes on to discuss Fable, which has apparently only just entered full production. It's safe to say that we probably shouldn't expect it anytime soon if that is the case.

Old Hans

Arcane
Why do so many developers hit this wall. its like a band that used to be really good, then they take LSD, stop doing live shows and just seclude themselves in the recording studio noodling around on sitars and experimental keyboard sound effects for the next ten years

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why do so many developers hit this wall. its like a band that used to be really good, then they take LSD, stop doing live shows and just seclude themselves in the recording studio noodling around on sitars and experimental keyboard sound effects for the next ten years
Not an entirely fair comparison. The Beatles in 1967 were the same four people as the Beatles in 1963. Obsidian is almost entirely a different bunch of people now than they were when making KotOR 2 or New Vegas (or even Pillars of Eternity, given how their headcount has ballooned). Most of the people who work there have not proven themselves in any substantial way.

It's interesting to look at individuals who declined over the years, e.g. Richard Garriott or David Bradley. I suspect that part of it is caused by reduced testosterone that naturally accompanies ageing, and part of it is caused by the reduced hunger for success that naturally accompanies success. Part of it might also be the TES6/HL3 problem where creatives have no idea how they can top their previous output so they dawdle.

Obsidian when you were dating:
Mask of the Betrayer, The Sith Lords, New Vegas

Obsidian now that you're married:
Deadfire, The Otter Worlds, Pentiment
Joke is on you. In the end I probablly like Deadfire more than anything Obsidian did before and after.

And that's not even because I like Deadfire THAT MUCH. It just has less that I dislike compared to their past output.
People keep raving about MoTB and New Vegas for their "amazing writing", for instance, but at the end of the day they are still based on NWN 2 and FO3, which I find simply ABOHRRENT both on a mechanical and and aesthetic level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom