Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Sawyer comes out on the stage, the big screen behind him shows the letter ü. Sawyer bows, doesn't elaborate on anything and leaves the stage.
ü
an oßsidian production

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Huh, somebody on some website said Avowed will "most definitely" be featured at the Xbox Games Showcase on the 11th. This strikes me as pretty weird. I felt like this game vaped out into nothingness.
We had a dev here who agreed that it was too big to fail and that we'd have to wait till June to get any news about it.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Development probably took this long because no matter how hard Sawyer tried, he couldn't find a fampyr model from UE asset store.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
I wonder if you could play as fampyr character class or become one.

KVVRR

Learned
We had a dev here who agreed that it was too big to fail and that we'd have to wait till June to get any news about it.
Someone on here said that it was too big to fail, which seems surprisingly accurate, despite all the everything going on with this project, which I can't talk about and you guys always find out anyway. It's been a lot of work. It's coming.
How does that even work? That saying works, sometimes, for megagiant global monopolies, not AA(A?) sandbox games. It's like saying Cyberpunk was too big to fail, what does that even mean?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How does that even work? That saying works, sometimes, for megagiant global monopolies, not AA(A?) sandbox games. It's like saying Cyberpunk was too big to fail, what does that even mean?
Cyberpunk was also too big to fail. Cancelling it would be far more painful for the studio (recouping 0 costs, resulting in either massive layoffs or the closure of the studio) than it would be to release a game that's at least solid enough to modestly underperform (recouping at least a good portion of the costs).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I felt like this game vaped out into nothingness.
How hard do you think it is to make a nu-rpg? Just make a few areas, stick them together by some boring ass narrative nobody finds exciting, even the gay husband of the writer, make your character be able to walk and swing weapons, and write a shit ton of retarded dialogue nobody's ever going to read. Voice them. Make ugly lesbian faced NPCs, aaaand BOOM, RPG, ready for release, goty 2023, journalists are jizzing their pants. Even 80 iq obshitianites are capable of that.

KVVRR

Learned
Cyberpunk was also too big to fail. Cancelling it would be far more painful for the studio (recouping 0 costs, resulting in either massive layoffs or the closure of the studio) than it would be to release a game that's at least solid enough to modestly underperform (recouping at least a good portion of the costs).
I'm not sure that counts as "too big too fail", sounds more like they put themselves in a lose-lose situation no matter what. It took CD Projekt years to even begin to rebuild their public image from what it was before the release.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not sure that counts as "too big too fail", sounds more like they put themselves in a lose-lose situation no matter what. It took CD Projekt years to even begin to rebuild their public image from what it was before the release.
They got a ton of money from the tens of millions of sales on release and they won their goodwill back by patching it and being involved with that anime.

KVVRR

Learned
They got a ton of money from the tens of millions of sales on release and they won their goodwill back by patching it and being involved with that anime.
Still doesn't mean that the project was too big to fail; they just managed to turn it around with years of hard work after the fact.
Well, kinda, most of the heavylifting was done by the anime anyways, which was in production for years before the game even released. I really don't see Obsidian making an PoE anime made by MADHOUSE any time soon.

thesecret1

Arcane
They never won back Codex street cred after they released Witcher 3, and if you don't get people kissing your ass on the Codex then, well, what's even the point of it all? Why even make games? For fame and money? That won't gain you the respect of the posters here – just look at Bethesda, and how tired and tortured Todd Howard looks in each interview – he never recovered from Oblivion, and nowadays spends all his free time lurking Morrowind threads, reminiscing about times when he could still feel happy. There are some things money can't buy, and devs should remember that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Huh, somebody on some website said Avowed will "most definitely" be featured at the Xbox Games Showcase on the 11th. This strikes me as pretty weird. I felt like this game vaped out into nothingness.
I will hold you personally accountable if this isn't true.

EDIT: shit fuck, I just saw the trailer... so this game still exists after all. I can't wait to have weird sex with a xaurip.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I will hold you personally accountable if this isn't true.
I mean at this point there has to be something. 2023/2024 was first mentioned as a possible release date years ago.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Still doesn't mean that the project was too big to fail; they just managed to turn it around with years of hard work after the fact.
Well, kinda, most of the heavylifting was done by the anime anyways, which was in production for years before the game even released. I really don't see Obsidian making an PoE anime made by MADHOUSE any time soon.
If they had cancelled Cyberpunk that would have been it for them.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Roguey is right. All 'too big to fail' really means is that it will eventually be released, because there's too much money sunk into or too much otherwise riding on it for the studio to do otherwise.

Its quality on release is a whole different thing.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Roguey is right. All 'too big to fail' really means is that it will eventually be released, because there's too much money sunk into or too much otherwise riding on it for the studio to do otherwise.

Its quality on release is a whole different thing.

Considering the reception Redfall just got, Microsoft obviously doesn't have a problem letting these studios release crap and try to recoup some bucks.

Microsoft better hope Starfield kills it, because the money they put into studio buyups isn't looking like a great move right now.

Delterius

Arcane
some people say that feargus urukheart convinced phil spencer into an agreement with the devil - every time feargus 'de-owners' someone avowed gets another year of development time. but only if feargus delivers proof of it with the severed finger of the former employee in question.

still trying to figure out who's the devil in this situation

Lambach

Arcane
Microsoft better hope Starfield kills it, because the money they put into studio buyups isn't looking like a great move right now.

I doubt they care all that much.

microsoft_revenue_percentage_segment_breakdown_chart.png

Buyups are probably more about making sure there's as little even hypothetical competition in the future as possible, rather than turning a more short-term profit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I doubt they care all that much.

microsoft_revenue_percentage_segment_breakdown_chart.png

Buyups are probably more about making sure there's as little even hypothetical competition in the future as possible, rather than turning a more short-term profit.

Of course what people are talking about here is Xbox Game Studios, not Microsoft as a whole.

While it's not unknown for a corporation to subsidize an underperforming division, in the long run if you don't contribute profit you get the axe. I'm sure the message has gone out loud and clear that "We can't have another Redfall".

pickmeister

Learned
Get bought by Microsoft and it's only a matter of time until you get closed.
Still pissed off about Ensemble Studios.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom