Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Delterius

Arcane
If they wanted to chase bigger market, some kind of fantasy-X-com based on PoE would be much better option than aiming for triple A version of Pillars.
they lack harebrained's know how

obviously obsidian should now focus on creating a larian killer by the name of pillars of eternity 3

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
If they wanted to chase bigger market, some kind of fantasy-X-com based on PoE would be much better option than aiming for triple A version of Pillars.
they lack harebrained's know how

obviously obsidian should now focus on creating a larian killer by the name of pillars of eternity 3

Well turns out they didn't have a know how to make an open world sandbox either.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm coping so hard that i accidentally time traveled two month fowards, my bad.

Can't tell if your being serious.

Is anyone actually excited to see Nuu-Obsidians take on PoE Skyrim after that last turd?
Pre-The Outer Worlds, I'd be cautiously optimistic.. maybe, especially if Leonard and Tim were skulking around - but now ?

Having watched that soulless space excrement get squeezed out by the troika-bro's onto Unreal Marketplace.... .. .. Struggling how anyone can be optimistic for this.

Who the fuck is even working at Obsidian anymore, that hasn't quit, been laid off, or given up on life completely.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm coping so hard that i accidentally time traveled two month fowards, my bad.

Can't tell if your being serious.

Is anyone actually excited to see Nuu-Obsidians take on PoE Skyrim after that last turd?
Pre-The Outer Worlds, I'd be cautiously optimistic.. maybe, especially if Leonard and Tim were skulking around - but now ?

Having watched that soulless space excrement get squeezed out by the troika-bro's onto Unreal Marketplace.... .. .. Struggling how anyone can be optimistic for this.

Who the fuck is even working at Obsidian anymore, that hasn't quit, been laid off, or given up on life completely.
face it, after a certain point of success, especially if you get lucky and make well received games in the past, investors come in and then investors do what investors do, aim for profits today without thought for the future, and that is to make it accessible for as many consumers as can be theoretically reached. interesting campaign setting filled with slavery and heroes with even more questionable morals? nope, might offend someone so that's gotta go in favor of generic bullshit that everyone already knows. it's either that or they create a framework to sell you dlc for (see paradox studios)

capitalism™ will make you rich, but it will absolutely deliver soulless shit.

it should be noted that i haven't and won't play penistent as it looks and sounds and seems really fucking boring.

Ryzer

Arcane
If it was named Penistent I might actually play it.
If they deliver a game like Skyrim but good, I think they will attract a much bigger fanbase than anything they have released so far except New Vegas. People are hungry for this type of games and want to go "Oh my gosh I want to touch this flower". I mean see Gothic and Bethesda popularity, there is no contest that from an economic perspective it works.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If they deliver a game like Skyrim but good, I think they will attract a much bigger fanbase than anything they have released so far except New Vegas. People are hungry for this type of games and want to go "Oh my gosh I want to touch this flower". I mean see Gothic and Bethesda popularity, there is no contest that from an economic perspective it works.
Leaks said Skryim's out, it's fantasy Outer Worlds.

KateMicucci

Arcane
If it was named Penistent I might actually play it.
maybe it *will* be good :troll:

KateMicucci

Arcane
what does that mean

Delterius

Arcane
what does that mean
lets just say that they kinda diminished their expectations for breadth of content
Bethesda level of features
:)
people always say skyrim is wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle

turns out diggin' an ocean-wide puddle is still a lot of work :lol:

Cross

Arcane
Maybe in terms of making a hub-based rather than an open-world game, but mechanically, they're making a Skyrim clone. They gave interviews talking about how they're copying many of Skyrim's aspects, like the shitty combat system and the dumb mechanic of equipping spells to your right and left hand.

Ryzer

Arcane
Leaks are often not true but it reminds me of this review on Glassdoor:

Overscoped projects, nepotism, living in the past

May 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
Recommend
CEO Approval
Business Outlook
Pros
Skilled and hardworking team members who are mostly trying to do their best. Cool stuff from the smaller teams.
Cons
Vastly overscoped projects. Gaslighting when backpedaling on overscoped requests. Embarrassingly limited understanding of what makes a "AAA" game. Almost nonexistent understanding of modern sustainable production. The review titled "subsistence-level game development" is sadly still true. Much of the practices stem from a game dev philosophy of 20+ years ago and many leads and directors cling to ideals from that era. Upper management reacts at a glacial pace to team pleas for help.
Although the last two reviews posted on Glassdoor are positive so it seems they have taken the critics into account.

Delterius

Arcane
its may 15th, 2021

you're a young developer straight out of gamer college, ready to follow your dreams

actually that was months ago. by now you've aged so badly your genetic code retroactively gained trait for baldness

you're sitting on a giant pile of requests from 5 different leads. all of them ozymandian in scope. you've answered each and every one of them with the question 'but how though?'

each one of your leads - all of them great legends of the industry in their own right, having worked projects such as 'new vegas' and 'new vegas 2 (cancelled)' - has shot back at your question in the same way:

'i dunno call todd and ask for their tools or something'

you've decided you're gonna quit today. your cousin's 'bored ape' company is doing really well and he needs help writing a tax evasion algorithm.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
each one of your leads - all of them great legends of the industry in their own right, having worked projects such as 'new vegas' and 'new vegas 2 (cancelled)'

Tim Cain Made Fallout 1 from scratch by himself!!!!!

And.. Arcanum....
And Designed Wildstar..
And idolized World of Warcraft as a source of inspiration for keep management in pillars of-OHhHhhhhhhhNoooo...........

B-b-but Leonard..!!
He... He... he worked at blizzard.. On.. uhm... .. uh....... *brain aneurysm* Diablo...! Right? diablo cancelled project number 2..? no 3... definitely 3.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I honestly forgot about this existing, its funny to think that Starfield will launch before this.
Starfield's been in development since late 2015, much longer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom