Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

You can't cancel a game called avowed that would be too on the nose.
Honestly, I couldn't tell it apart from Forspoken or whatever.
I just call them Awoked and Forwoken

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
I'm coping so hard that i accidentally time traveled two month fowards, my bad.

Can't tell if your being serious.

Is anyone actually excited to see Nuu-Obsidians take on PoE Skyrim after that last turd?
Pre-The Outer Worlds, I'd be cautiously optimistic.. maybe, especially if Leonard and Tim were skulking around - but now ?

Having watched that soulless space excrement get squeezed out by the troika-bro's onto Unreal Marketplace.... .. .. Struggling how anyone can be optimistic for this.

Who the fuck is even working at Obsidian anymore, that hasn't quit, been laid off, or given up on life completely.
face it, after a certain point of success, especially if you get lucky and make well received games in the past, investors come in and then investors do what investors do, aim for profits today without thought for the future, and that is to make it accessible for as many consumers as can be theoretically reached. interesting campaign setting filled with slavery and heroes with even more questionable morals? nope, might offend someone so that's gotta go in favor of generic bullshit that everyone already knows. it's either that or they create a framework to sell you dlc for (see paradox studios)

capitalism™ will make you rich, but it will absolutely deliver soulless shit.

it should be noted that i haven't and won't play penistent as it looks and sounds and seems really fucking boring.

Honestly i just want something like Elders Scrolls but that's actually good, like someone else said.

I didn't liked Oblivion and Skyrim is enjoyable with 100+ mods to turn into another game, so might as well play another game that doesn't crash every 3 minutes after troubleshooting for 3 days, plus Obsidian games even the worst one, have more reactivy and in playstyles than something made by Bethesda..

I can't lie and say i not excited to see some cool reactivy towards my Moon Godlike or have a dialogue system with more than 4 Skill checks in the whole game.
The bar for fantasy RPG (that isn't a CRPG) is so low that anything half decent will do it and if it's shit, i can come here to have some laughs.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Last week someone on the mostly-dead Obsidian forums noticed Jez the shill had some more Avowed news https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/128398-avowed-development-issues/?do=findComment&comment=2344950

Jez Corden (notable Xbox podcaster) stated in his podcast (link below) that initially Obsidian felt like they needed to reach Bethesda level of features for Avowed (by adding additional stuff like 4-player coop) because they wanted to impress Microsoft. However, they later realized that they're a much smaller studio compared to Bethesda's massive workforce and had to curtail their ambitious plans.

Jez later clarified that Obsidian actually changed the direction of the game's development by focusing only on features that they're familiar with (such as deeper RPG mechanics and branching storylines). They're basically aiming to make Avowed a drastically enhanced version of the Outer Worlds. If you ask me, this seems like a positive direction for the game's development. Fingers crossed...

:lol: Multiplayer out (why was it even in?), open world out. Pie-in-the-sky features wish list, curbed. Gotta ship something.

I actually blame Larian for this.
They've popularized a long thought "dead genre".. and I get the sense that game designers & business suits (Obsidian especially who got dabbed the fuck on in sales) attribute that success to the co-op..
Which is annoying because the whole couch play / online drop-in co-op feature seems to be getting onto design docs for everything now and it's kinda - worthless / detrimental to what I want from single player RPGs.

AKA: What are we losing in content and narrative delivery just so that 4 assholes can connect online and start running in 4 directions randomly killing shit.

Frankly.. I agree with Jez Shillden here.
I still think the game is gonna be a turd though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They're still working on this? Honestly, I thought it was tossed in the the zombieware crypt.

just

Liturgist
Haha, Avowed is delayed.

I'm hearing a bunch of interesting shit, including:

1) The place has been in turmoil since their CEO Urquhart died(inside) a few years ago.
2) There are company-wide issues with management, for example with their best writer Megan Starks leaving them, apparently there are major disagreements/power struggles including how to integrate with Xbox/MSFT.
3) Parker was made Head of not Publishing but nobody knows what that means exactly
4) People really phoned it in over Covid. Especially a lot of the higher ups who got paid millions when the company was acquired by MSFT (Urquhart took care of himself). But high level employees were doing crazy shit like calling into meetings from the Caribbean properties they had bought. Just a total lack of give-a-shit
5) Josh Sawyer is apparently one of the only guys left over there in a senior position who actually wants to make visual novels.

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
They've popularized a long thought "dead genre".. and I get the sense that game designers & business suits (Obsidian especially who got dabbed the fuck on in sales) attribute that success to the co-op..
Which is annoying because the whole couch play / online drop-in co-op feature seems to be getting onto design docs for everything now and it's kinda - worthless / detrimental to what I want from single player RPGs.
I don't care for co-op RPGs much either, but do you think they are wrong to think so?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't care for co-op RPGs much either, but do you think they are wrong to think so?

I don't know.
DoS and DoS2 are infinitely more enjoyable for me than PoE is. I never touched the co-op.

Is that the reason for their sales or was it co-op? Would Deadfire be more successful if it had Co-op/ Online? How much?

I can't possibly know without the shoutbox 8ball.

EDIT

To make my point more clear.. when your solution to push more sales is "add online" instead of "make a better game" - it makes me jaded.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
After OW I just stopped bothering following this company. This video sounds like AI impersonating some dude from india. And it is pointless to watch.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

"They're basically aiming to make Avowed a drastically enhanced version of the Outer Worlds"
Instant skip for me.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"They're basically aiming to make Avowed a drastically enhanced version of the Outer Worlds"
Instant skip for me.
Hey now, always give a cracked version a go, that way no matter how fucking terrible it will ultimately be, you're only out some time on this...thing they're making.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Gargaune

Arcane
Obsidian when you were dating:
Mask of the Betrayer, The Sith Lords, New Vegas

Obsidian now that you're married:
Deadfire, The Otter Worlds, Pentiment

Hey now, always give a cracked version a go, that way no matter how fucking terrible it will ultimately be, you're only out some time on this...thing they're making.
Time is money.

Ryzer

Arcane
Instant skip for me.
Even Skyrim is way too much for Obsidian.
They should just stick at making Grounded king of games and cut the bullshit about making Roleplaying games heavily focused on story if they can't follow up the pace.

Skorpion

Educated
Skyrim (for whatever your opinion of it was) moved xbox units.
MS acquired this studio and Im pretty sure the first meeting was "what if you made it more like Skyrim."
Obsidian said they could to please their MS overlords. They cant and now here we are.
I expect heads to start rolling as this gets further delayed.

Ryzer

Arcane
MS acquired this studio and Im pretty sure the first meeting was "what if you made it more like Skyrim."
Obsidian said they could to please their MS overlords. They cant and now here we are.
Can't Microsoft just send their teams to help them? It's not like Microsoft is a small publisher after all. Sometimes I wonder how companies under such industrial giants like these are still mismanaged or lack the funds/staff.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can't Microsoft just send their teams to help them? It's not like Microsoft is a small publisher after all. Sometimes I wonder how companies under such industrial giants like these are still mismanaged or lack the funds/staff.
Only Obsidian can fix their own mess, but they did hire a babysitter after the Parker troubles.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, you don't get rich by throwing more money at every underperformer.

Delterius

Arcane
do you want to be the first guy to argue that microsoft's acquisition of obsidian was not a good idea? even if were not involved with the purchase that would put you in the 'lets just close this EA style' camp

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom