Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
There are multiple sections in Kotor 2 where you only play as T3-M4. In fact, T3-M4 is the first character you play as when the game starts.
But you don't sword fight, or hug, or press buttons, or whatever height relevant animations there are in the game.
We are talking about reusing animations, not about just replacing the model, and then NOT having these animations.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is not true. There are multiple sections in Kotor 2 where you only play as T3-M4. In fact, T3-M4 is the first character you play as when the game starts.
Those sections were specifically made for that kind of character. :deathclaw:

That game was not an RPG, it was an action-adventure game. You almost always play as a pre-defined character in those games.

There are a ton of fantasy RPGs where you can only play as human. In Dungeons and Dragons as originally conceived by Gygax, you were only supposed to play as human characters. He thought wanting to play as a dwarf or elf was gay.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There are a ton of fantasy RPGs where you can only play as human. In Dungeons and Dragons as originally conceived by Gygax, you were only supposed to play as human characters. He thought wanting to play as a dwarf or elf was gay.
Even though Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax both preferred humanocentric campaign settings and parties, the popularity that Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy had assumed by the early '70s meant that, in both the Blackmoor and Greyhawk campaigns, some players wanted to create non-human PCs, as a consequence of which original Dungeons & Dragons already had options for elf, dwarf, and hobbit halfling characters, immediately following the list of character classes.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IMO Obsidian declined a lot. Just compare FNV with outer worlds, FNV has a lot of interesting factions, lots of cool weapons, and OW has neon weapons and revolves around "corporations bad", hence I'm not hyped for this game. Can be good? Sure. But so far, the unique good things that I saw are the spell effects.
And now, brace for the originality of "colonial chartered companies bad". Can't wait to laugh my head off when they actually reveal that.

I don't think that reducing the scope is a bad thing. Quality > Quantity. In Gothic 2, there is a total of ONE main city, very memorable, full of interesting stuff. In Skyrim, there are many "major cities", all boring and uninspiring.

As for 2 races, IMO they should have added at least a 3rd race. Humans, Dwarves and Elves.
Height differences are a mess.
Sounds like another excuse for incompetence.

Mk4ZTtV.jpeg
It's not first person though.
You could make the case that Skyrim is a third person game too.

And in this game, there are areas where only manlets can get into.

Hell, Gothic 1 had scrolls of polymorph to allow access to specific areas, becoming a small animal was required for some quests.
It's not just that. Some enemies can fly and will pick you up much more easily if you're small and light. There's more physical interactions like these with different creatures.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you use mods to change your character's height in bethesda's games, doesn't the camera still center on the NPCs head during conversation? I'm pretty sure it does, but never tested it.

Readher

Savant
Reducing scope only helps if you lack the budget or time. As far as we know, Obsidian isn't in a position where either is a problem at the moment. If the game is shit at the core, reduced scope won't help with anything.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Every game will at some point goes through scope reduction, it doesn't mean a god damn thing.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
They should allow dwarves and orlan and just embrace the jank. Key item on a cupboard too tall for you? Tough luck buddy. At least rhe game can be praised as manlet simulator 2024
And if you would have Chanter in the party, he could enlarge dwarf and orlan to pick the item from the cupboard.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reducing scope only helps if you lack the budget or time. As far as we know, Obsidian isn't in a position where either is a problem at the moment. If the game is shit at the core, reduced scope won't help with anything.
The game they wanted to make couldn't be done in a reasonable amount of time. It has been nearly five years.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They should allow dwarves and orlan and just embrace the jank. Key item on a cupboard too tall for you? Tough luck buddy. At least rhe game can be praised as manlet simulator 2024
And if you would have Chanter in the party, he could enlarge dwarf and orlan to pick the item from the cupboard.
Damn, those would need to be some damn horny dwarves or orlans.

tastywaffles

Literate
The loading is really non-issue in an SSD era.
There are Fallout 4 loading screens that can take literally 5-10 minutes to load. Multiple minutes per was common, was typical.
Not with the mod that fixes it. The game is broken on PC and was broken on PC in that respect from the moment it released.
Somehow I missed that mod on my playthrough last year. What a thing to leave up to modders!

It wasn't all bad, as during those long interludes I'd do pushups or some such, and probably gained like 10lbs of muscle over the course of my time in Fallout 4.

I wonder if that might have been Todd's intent all along. What a guy, what a pal, always in my corner.

Sannom

Augur
Again, this makes no sense. You can control Varric directly in combat and he participates in cutscenes. So if they wanted to allow the player to play as a dwarf, they could just reuse his character model and animations. With a few exceptions, that's how all these games work, with the playable characters sharing the same character models and animations as the NPCs.
I didn't play Dragon Age 2, can Varrick even wield any weapon other than his girlfriend ?

DeepOcean

Arcane
"Obsidian: lower your expectations"
Man, you know, EA had a logo on all their games, it was "EA games: Challenge Everything", so, a few suggestions of logos for Avowed that the player must see at startup:
Obsidian games: Challenge Nothing
Obsidian games: mid and proud
Obsidian games: No, it is not New Vegas again
Obsidian games: Curb your Enthusiasm
Obsidian games: No, we arent Bethesda

I think there are many logos Obsidian can use on a marketing campaign to make the message clear, not causing confusion on the process.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Original Jade Empire had a fade-to-black instead of a lesbian kiss. They never made an animation for this scene. Someone modded it
We're talking about existing games, not mods. This just shows how nonsensical your whole argument is.

Your example is from NWN2 which is a lousy game that shipped with a million problems. "We have to make cutscenes for player characters of radically different heights and builds" was likely a contributing factor.
What about the Kotor games? Wookies were bigger than human characters. T3-M4 and G0-T0 were smaller than even dwarves. There were lots of other droids and alien races of differing heights, all of which participated in cutscenes.

Aren't the classes in the original KotOR actually slightly different heights?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.obsidian.net/news/obsidian/official-avowed-kai-cosplay-guide

Official Avowed Kai Cosplay Guide​

Official Avowed Kai Cosplay Guide Header Image

When you first enter the Living Lands, you will be introduced to Kai, a Coastal Aumaua currently residing in this plagued and wild island found in Eora. He is a former soldier, and his idealistic and pragmatic temperament is perfect for your first companion as he will help guide you as you venture out into this wild frontier.

While we wait for more information regarding Kai to be released, we have put together this cosplay guide for you to enjoy. We also have included some of the fantastic concept art done by our friends over at Goodname. They have been incredible to work with, and we can’t wait to share more of what they have done for Avowed.

1-titlepage.jpg
2-kai-overview.jpg
3-kai-turnaround.jpg
4-kai-head.jpg
5-kai-upper.jpg
6-kai-arms.jpg
7-kai-lower.jpg
8_kai-lower.jpg
9-kai-additional-details.jpg
10-kai-additional_details.jpg

To download this cosplay guide, visit our website here.

To read more on Avowed, visit the Xbox Wire post here.

:hmmm:

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
"Obsidian: lower your expectations"
Man, you know, EA had a logo on all their games, it was "EA games: Challenge Everything", so, a few suggestions of logos for Avowed that the player must see at startup:
Obsidian games: Challenge Nothing
Obsidian games: mid and proud
Obsidian games: No, it is not New Vegas again
Obsidian games: Curb your Enthusiasm
Obsidian games: No, we arent Bethesda

I think there are many logos Obsidian can use on a marketing campaign to make the message clear, not causing confusion on the process.
Obsidian games: straight to game pass

AwesomeButton

Patron
Whoever was supposed to write the developer diary is on vacation, and the Obsidian webmaster was charged with the ungrateful duty?

Two hilarious typos in the first image.

"idealistic and pragmatic temperament" -- it's one thing to lose your company's writing talent, but another to stop trying to write coherent sentences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom