Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting

bobocrunch

Educated
The setting isn't that bad at all. It's actually the setting that carries the mediocre writing and plots of the games.
I'm honestly surprised people here have an issue with the setting out of all things. It's just an amalgamation of Josh's knowledge of pre-medieval and medieval-ish cultures slapped into a game, and I think does a good job of making it have an overarching God pantheon while having the nations feel believeable. Fantasy settings have never been too ambitious past dragons and ghouls, and fampyr are a good example of even Josh's autism being constrained.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So wait, when I was shitting on the guy...I was talking with the guy? The panel from hell chief clown that was fucking up non stop and threw shoes at NPCs to win battles?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
So wait, when I was shitting on the guy...I was talking with the guy? The panel from hell chief clown that was fucking up non stop and threw shoes at NPCs to win battles?

No no, Swen is a shitposter. The real Swen is lar_q. He hasn't logged in for many years.
cursed.JPG

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The setting isn't that bad at all. It's actually the setting that carries the mediocre writing and plots of the games.
I'm honestly surprised people here have an issue with the setting out of all things. It's just an amalgamation of Josh's knowledge of pre-medieval and medieval-ish cultures slapped into a game, and I think does a good job of making it have an overarching God pantheon while having the nations feel believeable. Fantasy settings have never been too ambitious past dragons and ghouls, and fampyr are a good example of even Josh's autism being constrained.
As far as I recall George Ziets did most of the work on the pantheon and the gods' portfolios. You can tell it was written by someone who has done some more than casual reading. As someone who had to read Mircea Eliade's History of Religious Ideas at university, I can tell there was some thought put into it. Shame the games' writing didn't do it much justice. The original ideas from the PoE guidebook were reduced to something much inferior. I guess the "narrative designers" couldn't or wouldn't raise to the level of the setting source material.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's always funny when the Codex, the 8chan of gaming forums, is mentioned by or refered to in the mainstream media. I guess people are desperate for any information on this game.

Dr1f7

Scholar
my application for "Obsidian" as "Creative Writer":

You see lying in dreadful wake before you a man woman of hulking size lying in dreadful wake before you with an overwhelming, oppressive, stance. Masking her face is an obsidian mask, made from material from none other than the 'Ahb'Zghulkf'
The 'Ahb'Zghulkf' are a race of overweight elf-halfling-shortmen who are excellent at mining and smithing and love beer. They are NOT dwarves. We at Obsidian(tm) subvert role-playing norms! The Overweight Elf-halfling-shortmen (who ARE NOT dwarves, and shal not be referred to as DWARVES) are known for their long beards. The mines of Moria 'Ahb'Zghulkf' are thousands of millions of years old! a true brilliant vestigal of the great craftsmanship of the overweight elf-halfling-shortmen ahb'zghulkfs
mines and hanging from her ears are golden rings of hyperdimensional cubic circular ring form. As your head slowly and scarededly conically rotates towards her visage, you feel a Bowel Movement erupt deep from within!

"Bowel Movements" are fan-contributed stories added to the game! View this "Bowel Movement"?

1) Yes, reddit!
2) No, thakn you :) [OPTION LOCKED: REQUIRES 'Mega-Champion' EDITION]

1) AS SHIT RUNS DOWN YOUR LEGS YOU SMELL THE FECAL MASS OF HORRIFYING NECRODIMENSIONAL TERROR YOU FEEL THE RANCID ERUPTION OF 'Mag-Pie'
Mag-Pie is the traditional cuisine of the 'dwelf' race. Dwelves are NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH classical role-playing elves! Dwelves are slender, and really smart. They are also quite good at magic. THESE ARE NOT ELVES! Obsidian(tm) subverts classical rpg elements! While dwelves may seema lot like elves, they are NOT ELVES! DO NOT REFER TO DWELVES AS ELVES! Sometimes, dwelf males choose to have short hair! CLASSICAL ELVES DO NOT HAVE SHORT HAIR! Mag-Pie is created with two parts flour, one part water, and three part magic maggot.
LONG ROTTEN SUBSCRIBE TO MY PATREON (link to patreon HERE) for MORE SHORT STORIES

Sannom

Augur

You see lying in dreadful wake before you a man woman of hulking size lying in dreadful wake before you with an overwhelming, oppressive, stance. Masking her face is an obsidian mask, made from material from none other than the 'Ahb'Zghulkf'
The 'Ahb'Zghulkf' are a race of overweight elf-halfling-shortmen who are excellent at mining and smithing and love beer. They are NOT dwarves. We at Obsidian(tm) subvert role-playing norms! The Overweight Elf-halfling-shortmen (who ARE NOT dwarves, and shal not be referred to as DWARVES) are known for their long beards. The mines of Moria 'Ahb'Zghulkf' are thousands of millions of years old! a true brilliant vestigal of the great craftsmanship of the overweight elf-halfling-shortmen ahb'zghulkfs
mines and hanging from her ears are golden rings of hyperdimensional cubic circular ring form. As your head slowly and scarededly conically rotates towards her visage, you feel a Bowel Movement erupt deep from within!

"Bowel Movements" are fan-contributed stories added to the game! View this "Bowel Movement"?

1) Yes, reddit!

1) AS SHIT RUNS DOWN YOUR LEGS YOU SMELL THE FECAL MASS OF HORRIFYING NECRODIMENSIONAL TERROR YOU FEEL THE RANCID ERUPTION OF 'Mag-Pie'
Mag-Pie is the traditional cuisine of the 'dwelf' race. Dwelves are NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH classical role-playing elves! Dwelves are slender, and really smart. They are also quite good at magic. THESE ARE NOT ELVES! Obsidian(tm) subverts classical rpg elements! While dwelves may seema lot like elves, they are NOT ELVES! DO NOT REFER TO DWELVES AS ELVES! Sometimes, dwelf males choose to have short hair! CLASSICAL ELVES DO NOT HAVE SHORT HAIR! Mag-Pie is created with two parts flour, one part water, and three part magic maggot.
LONG ROTTEN SUBSCRIBE TO MY PATREON (link to patreon HERE) for MORE SHORT STORIES
Who let Ben Shapiro in here ?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

1) Yes, reddit!

Welcome to Larian Studios!

ArchAngel

Arcane

The Codex needs to increase its gatekeeping before we get swamped with new members.

1573225202-20191108.png

And those new members will say they liked Oblivion!!
Ah sorry, my bad, they were not born at that time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom