Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Flou

Arbiter
Skyrim will be 10 years old by the time Avowed is released, and there hasn't been any game like Skyrim released in the meantime. If Obsidian can nail the Bethesda formula with Avowed it will be a massive hit.

I would count both Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 here.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Witcher 3 is a very different game. Fallout 4, Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk (probably?) are more Skyrim-a-like, but they're also very different in setting and core combat style.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
So, who exactly is waiting for the game? Who is it aimed at?
It's like back in PS3/360 era where a lot of FPS were trying to copy CoD because they want a share of that money, but didn't work because people that liked CoD wanted to play CoD, not a clone of it.
The people that like Skyrim will keep playing Skyrim.

Such a fucking dumb argument. Nobody wanted to play cod "clones" because they were SHIT not because it wasnt cod. CODs competition has always been Battlefield and they went increasingly codcopy from 3 onwards to the point the latest cod has a bf mode just to level the field.

TES has no competitors and the only people who will still "play skyrim" instead after a real competitor arrives are autistics who literally spend 40 hours a week downloading and installing mods and never actually playing it.

I dont play any of the many aborted stalker clones not because i can play actual stalker instead for the 1000th time but because all those attempts are abhorrent or mediocre abortions. If avowed fails to make a splash it will only be because its shit, not because "but it's not skyrim!". JFL, kill yourself you fool!

jf8350143

Liturgist
All it has to do is being skyrim with skill checks and C&C, it would be more than enough for me.

Sure it's not a high standard but it's not like there are tons of RPG comes out every year.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
It's like back in PS3/360 era where a lot of FPS were trying to copy CoD because they want a share of that money, but didn't work because people that liked CoD wanted to play CoD, not a clone of it.
Skyrim will be 10 years old by the time Avowed is released, and there hasn't been any game like Skyrim released in the meantime. If Obsidian can nail the Bethesda formula with Avowed it will be a massive hit.
What are you talking about? Skyrim had like five releases since 2011.:lol:

Viata

Arcane
What are you talking about? Skyrim had like five releases since 2011.:lol:
GTvOil5.png

Flou

Arbiter
Compiled a list of people known working on the game. Not 100% sure about all of the names as some were mentioned by Adridactelo over at Obsidian forums and I haven't double checked them

Chris Parker - Game Director

Lucien Soulban - Lead Narrative Designer
Paul Kirsch - Narrative Designer

Jorge Salgado - Lead Area Designer (?)
Kayd Hendricks - Senior Area Designer
Seth May - Area Designer

Maxwell Matzenbacher - Senior Combat Designer

Martin Smith - Senior System Designer
Kevin M. Lee - Senior System Designer (I'm not completely sure on this one)
Kyle Koenig - System Designer

Nick Carver - Senior Technical Designer

Robert Nesler - Art Director
Dimitri Berman - Lead Character Artist
James Chea - Senior Character Artist
Can Etiskol - Senior Character Artist
Zoe Nicole-Aprodite Smith - Junior Character Artist
Daniel Platt - Senior 3D Artist

Bobby Hernandez - Lead Concept Artist
Schwinn Masavisut - Concept Artist

Hoya Lee - Senior Lighting Artist

MaKayla Hensley - Junior VFX Artist

Jason Diaz - Animation Director (?)
Derek Zivolich - Character Animator
Eric Feinberg - Character Animator
Amor Santos - Senior Animator

Paul Burg - Senior Programmer (He developed the system for world interactions and population management in RDR2)
Gabriel Paramo - Senior Gameplay Programmer
Jeff Chung - Senior Software Engineer

Joseph L. Rubino - Cinematic Director

Scott V. Gilmore - Senior Audio Designer

Pearl Ko - UX Designer
Kimie Kim-Mizutani - UI Artist

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Witcher 3 is a very different game. Fallout 4, Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk (probably?) are more Skyrim-a-like, but they're also very different in setting and core combat style.
They all fill the same market niche.
Closest has been kingdom come deliverance
Which doesn't fill the same niche at all.

You're thinking too much like enlightened patricians. It's less about the actual mechanics and more about presentation and accessibility.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Compiled a list of people known working on the game. Not 100% sure about all of the names as some were mentioned by Adridactelo over at Obsidian forums and I haven't double checked them

Chris Parker - Game Director

Lucien Soulban - Lead Narrative Designer
Paul Kirsch - Narrative Designer

Jorge Salgado - Lead Area Designer (?)
Kayd Hendricks - Senior Area Designer
Seth May - Area Designer

Maxwell Matzenbacher - Senior Combat Designer

Martin Smith - Senior System Designer
Kevin M. Lee - Senior System Designer (I'm not completely sure on this one)
Kyle Koenig - System Designer

Nick Carver - Senior Technical Designer

Robert Nesler - Art Director
Dimitri Berman - Lead Character Artist
James Chea - Senior Character Artist
Can Etiskol - Senior Character Artist
Zoe Nicole-Aprodite Smith - Junior Character Artist
Daniel Platt - Senior 3D Artist

Bobby Hernandez - Lead Concept Artist
Schwinn Masavisut - Concept Artist

Hoya Lee - Senior Lighting Artist

MaKayla Hensley - Junior VFX Artist

Jason Diaz - Animation Director (?)
Derek Zivolich - Character Animator
Eric Feinberg - Character Animator
Amor Santos - Senior Animator

Paul Burg - Senior Programmer (He developed the system for world interactions and population management in RDR2)
Gabriel Paramo - Senior Gameplay Programmer
Jeff Chung - Senior Software Engineer

Joseph L. Rubino - Cinematic Director

Scott V. Gilmore - Senior Audio Designer

Pearl Ko - UX Designer
Kimie Kim-Mizutani - UI Artist

Only Eastern Europe and Russia can save the RPG genre. This title is doomed.

Jezal_k23

Well, if we're talking about making a follow up to Skyrim, then the question becomes whether Obsidian can make Avowed's world an amusement park to the extent that will appease Bethesda fans. And of whether they can make the protagonist awesome enough to kill one dragon per hour and become a badass master mage, thief and assassin at the same time. Additionally they need to include enough trash repetitive content (radiant quests) to make the game last for 800 hours, for the people who like to roleplay as their character forever. These are the main things.

Bulo

Scholar
Well, if we're talking about making a follow up to Skyrim, then the question becomes whether Obsidian can make Avowed's world an amusement park to the extent that will appease Bethesda fans. And of whether they can make the protagonist awesome enough to kill one dragon per hour and become a badass master mage, thief and assassin at the same time. Additionally they need to include enough trash repetitive content (radiant quests) to make the game last for 800 hours, for the people who like to roleplay as their character forever. These are the main things.

To seal the deal, retcon the orlans into anthropomorphic cats. (Who wants to bet that it was Saywer who drew the line at obvious furry races?)

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A game directed by Chris Parker, a man Avellone openly called out as an utter fool.

This will be interesting.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They all fill the same market niche.

If you mean Witcher 3 satisfies the same niche as Skyrim, I think you're very much mistaken.
It's exactly the same. Low-entry, casual exploration, easily digested, consolized. Just because The Witcher 3 was much better than Skyrim or the fact that Skyrim is bigger than the Witcher 3 doesn't change the fact that they managed to fill the exact same market niche.

Meanwhile, KC:D is likely the more similar game to Skyrim in a technical side-by-side sense, but at the same time it is a hardcore historical RPG that doesn't pull any punches, and without any overt fantastical elements to it. It appeals to a completely different subset of people patricians.
I see at least 4 or 5 Jews on that list.
As if we didn't already know it'd be wokeshit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's exactly the same. Low-entry, casual exploration, easily digested, consolized. Just because The Witcher 3 was much better than Skyrim or the fact that Skyrim is bigger than the Witcher 3 doesn't change the fact that they managed to fill the exact same market niche.

Bethesda games are about launching guys off Tenpenny tower after placing 20 land mines at their feet. Witcher 3 is about checking off map markers and enjoying a cinematic story. They're very different games.

Takamori

Learned
Regarding the whole TES stuff and Obsidian jumping in, Obsidian just need to make sure they add lots of useless padding,gorgeous scenery and allow modders to add futa dicks everywhere, there you go you can pounce the Bethesda customer base. Since they don't need a good story or neither a good functional product with QA's that are paid a living wage.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Bethesda games are about launching guys off Tenpenny tower after placing 20 land mines at their feet. Witcher 3 is about checking off map markers and enjoying a cinematic story. They're very different games.
Oh, I'm sorry, it appears you're too retarded to understand what I'm saying. My apologies, but I'm afraid I can't dumb it down for you any further. It is just one of those "You need to have an IQ of at least 60 to follow" things. I'd ask for your understanding, but I know you can't.

My condolences.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yep they think they can play on Bethesda's field since their games are shit - well... Obsidian have to either at least to provide vast mod support or better version of radiant quests or much more better world to wonder around, better combat system, something. And I honestly doubt their abilities in that regard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Oh, I'm sorry, it appears you're too retarded to understand what I'm saying. My apologies, but I'm afraid I can't dumb it down for you any further. It is just one of those "You need to have an IQ of at least 60 to follow" things. I'd ask for your understanding, but I know you can't.

Act like I'm an idiot if you want, but you're the one saying they're the same game because they're bother superficially "open world fantasy games." There's a lot more to it than that. Bethesda games are immersion focused first-person titles with amusement park level design, playground physics and unique NPCs/notes/etc. that reward exploring. Witcher 3 is third-person hack n' slash with a focus on cinematic storytelling, random loot and level grinds and pretty but static worlds with 99% of interesting characters and locations reserved for quests that send you directly to them. They're very different games. Outer Worlds is a budget level Bethesda style game, but it's trying to be one. Witcher 3 was not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom