Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

RepHope

Savant
Seems they switched to UE5

unknown.png

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
replaying pillars made me a little excited for this, but then i remember what a shit game the outer worlds is. the pillars games have some flaws, but they are still fun, and deadfire especially is just a great game all around, it doesnt excel in a particular game but good enough with some flaws that isn't enough to bring the game down.

i jsut hate TOW and it's actually TOW that made the future of this studio feels grim particularly because how awful it is despite the fallout duo on its helm.

Zibniyat

Arcane

So "narrative lead" is a woman, who spent the last 5 years at Obsidian (a period during which the company produced not much worth mentioning, and I say that as someone who mostly liked The Outer Worlds), and this is viewed in bad light? Ridiculous. This is a great development. The less women the better.

As for "lead level designer" of Fallout New Vegas, that isn't much of an achievement, the game being a drab brown & yellow mess, set in an "easy" setting of a mostly desert world (easy because there is no need for some great variance at level design). Aesthetically it was below mediocre, including its levels.

Zibniyat

Arcane
By the way, Chris Avellone is another spent has-been and his opinions no longer matter much. This obsession about celebrities in game industry is similar to those in movies, and both are equally pointless and pitiful.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, Chris Avellone is another spent has-beens and his opinions no longer matter much. This obsession about celebrities in game industry is similar to those in movies, and both are equally pointless and pitiful.

Post Obsidian Chris has been a writing mercenary for most part starting from some random indie games to mid level project (Kingmaker) to AAA (Jedi game). The problem is we don't really know how much is it that he actually wrote.

In KM we know he is just some sort overall editor and write Noknok and comparing it Wrath where he doesn't have involvement you can clearly see the decline in writing quality. in Wrath.

The random indie games attaching his name as consultant is usually those with "procedural story" or whatever. Chris has this period (or maybe even now) where he believes organic story telling that doesnt come from writer or someshit is the future of gaming iirc? Predictably all of those indie games has shit narrative.

The only big project where I think he has prominent enough role is Jedi Fallen Order I think and it is quite well received altho once again to what extent Chris involvement there is unclear. DL2 pretty much ended up scrapping everything he does.

Do I miss any other big Chriss project in recent years?

Harthwain

Magister
Post Obsidian Chris has been a writing mercenary for most part starting from some random indie games to mid level project (Kingmaker) to AAA (Jedi game). The problem is we don't really know how much is it that he actually wrote.
I disagree. Avellone always kept the record straight and wasn't hiding his involvement when asked, which is a quality that I respect greatly and wish more people had.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Lead level designer is a shame if they worked in New Vegas and POE1/2. The dungeons and areas in general are very good especially in POE2.

I felt the same way about CDPR's level designer for Witcher 1/2/3 but especially 1 and 3. City designs are way ahead of everything else medieval in those games.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The dwarves from white march had guns i think and they were 200 years ago. Remind me if i am wrong tho. But i am curious what happened to the eora after deadfire

RepHope

Savant
Guns are one of the few non-D&D derivative features Pillars had, surprised people thought they wouldn’t be in.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Avellone's May of Rage at least got some media attention, but 3 retweets on that post just about sums up how much success he's had with claiming how everything in Obsidian is falling apart.

Flou

Arbiter
Avellone's May of Rage at least got some media attention, but 3 retweets on that post just about sums up how much success he's had with claiming how everything in Obsidian is falling apart.

Yep. Imagine that, people don't want to spend their entire career at one company. Chris makes it always sound line everyone is very disgruntled and whole company is about to fall to pieces. He really should start to sign his tweets with "xoxoxo Gossip Girl" at this point.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I hate this game because it's difficult to make fun of its title. Like Pillars of Excrement, ackackackack. Still gets me.

But Avowed? Can't do anything smooth here. Fucking goddamn cocksucker Sawyer. OOOOH I would smash his face in yes sir I would.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Yep. Imagine that, people don't want to spend their entire career at one company. Chris makes it always sound line everyone is very disgruntled and whole company is about to fall to pieces. He really should start to sign his tweets with "xoxoxo Gossip Girl" at this point.
Avowed development has been an utter mess, one can independently verify that without relying on Chris tweets. But no the entire company isn't falling to pieces, it's just that one game. Grounded, Pentiment, and even Outer Worlds 2 appear to be fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom