Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Awesome Oblivion preview at TGSN

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Oblivion is focusing more on graphics than gameplay.

I think the main thing about realistic graphics is, hey, who the fuck cares? Do I really need to be able to see my relfection in the water ripple as I piss refracting pee into it? No. Hell, I'd be perfectly happy if every game looked like Geneforge. The graphics look nice, they're not to hard to make, so thus you can focus more on the gamepay.

Chefe

Erudite
What are their emails?

I also want to ask them if they've been working on quests for three years, how did they only manage to get five guilds done and leave out the Nine Divines.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Naked_Lunch said:

Tell that to the designers who have been working on the quest lines for 3 years.
Or the people who went to that college to specifically study soil erosion.

I'm not being a hypocrite, I'll probably pick up Oblivion, it just seems to me that it's geared more towards eye-candy that gameplay elements, though you could blame the mainstream gaming media (PCGamer's E3 article only mentioned how ubar the graphics will be, no goddamn mention of anything else. It was total bullshit).

truekaiser

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Naked_Lunch said:

Tell that to the designers who have been working on the quest lines for 3 years.

:roll:
like they realy have been working on the game for the full three years.
i would not be surprised if they did not get to start on the game till a year ago. before that they were working on those cell-phone version of the es series you pumped out.

Chefe

Erudite
The people that make the cellphone and n-gage (what the fuck? did the big N say no?) games are part of another Zenimax called Vr2L Studios. They don't work on the main ES series, if I'm correct.

truekaiser

Scholar
angler said:
The people that make the cellphone and n-gage (what the fuck? did the big N say no?) games are part of another Zenimax called Vr2L Studios. They don't work on the main ES series, if I'm correct.
ah then i stand corrected.
though if the game was being worked onfor the full three years then the minisule amount of stuff they have in it points to lazy devs and coders are.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Considering that we haven't said ANYTHING about the quest lines other than the number of JOINABLE guilds, you seem to know an awful lot about the game, truekaiser.

And yes, the designers HAVE been working on the quest lines for that long.

truekaiser

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Considering that we haven't said ANYTHING about the quest lines other than the number of JOINABLE guilds, you seem to know an awful lot about the game, truekaiser.

then prove me worng by releaseing said information.
you keep saying "quality over quantity" yet show nothing to back it up.
and don't point to those demos you showed at e3. everyone heavly scripts and fakes those anyway.

it's becoming more apparent that big company model of software development is a dying dino.
i bet the game would already of been finished and released if it was opensourced.

Micmu

Magister
truekaiser said:
...if it was opensourced.
R0fl
A noble and bold concept but It's just not possible. Not in professional gaming industry, too many licensed stuff.
We need a good commercial "closesourced" game, too.

Stark

Liturgist
truekaiser said:
then prove me worng by releaseing said information.
and don't point to those demos you showed at e3. everyone heavly scripts and fakes those anyway.

it's becoming more apparent that big company model of software development is a dying dino.
i bet the game would already of been finished and released if it was opensourced.

truekaiser, just because this is codex does not give you the right to bash the developer mindlessly. do you happen to work in a company? Do you give out details of your products to an open forum when you're not given the "ok" from upper management?

For whatever reason MSFD is not to talk about the Oblivion quests in detail. My guess is, he does not work on those and he is not in the capacity to comment in detail about them.

it's annoying you put words into people's mouth. Show me the exact quote where MFSD said this.

I am not a fan of Bethsoft games, especially latter games. However I am annoyed by some of the abuses thrown to MFSD. If you want a discussion, make it base on concrete info available, and argue from there.

syKo

Novice
STFU.

Bethsoft is a rotted dino in progarmminng hell cause their methods are obvously outdated and will drive em bankrupt sooner or later. Opensource linux FTW

Data4

Arcane
syKo said:
STFU.

Bethsoft is a rotted dino in progarmminng hell cause their methods are obvously outdated and will drive em bankrupt sooner or later. Opensource linux FTW

I can almost deal with fanboys easier than corn-encrusted, camel-analinguistic fuckwits like this.

-D4

Chefe

Erudite
kaiser, syko... just shut the fuck up. Who do you think you're trying to impress? MFSD is a reasonable guy from what I've seen, he doesn't need this shit from two bitches like you. If you have constructive criticism, then give it, otherwise just get the fuck out of here.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Oh boy are you gonna go cop it when everyone finds out your quests suck.

By the way, how long did they work on the quests in Morrowind?

truekaiser said:
If phpBB is any indication, if Oblivion was open-sourced, it'd still be in a very poor intial stage and only being worked on by one guy as everyone else who offers gets knocked back because "mods are bad" and only the chosen can integrate something properly.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Oh boy are you gonna go cop it when everyone finds out your quests suck.

I predict that no matter how good the quests are, you will still think they suck.

Twinfalls

Erudite
I'm actually expecting some good quests, going from past experience. MW's quests were very very ordinary. But things began to pick up with the expansions, Tribunal and that wolf one. I liked the 'perform a play' quest in Tribunal for example. It looked to me like the designers were getting better and more confident with using the tools they'd taken so long to finalise, and more creative as a result....

MSFD, you've got to admit that a lot of MW quests were well steeped in the Suck (eg fighter's guild).

Chefe

Erudite
If Tribunals told us anything, it's that the devs are capable of creating a somewhat compelling and interesting storyline (IMO, the Tribunal MQ should have been the MQ for the entire game).

What remains to be seen, however, if you will be able to make individual and unique choices in those quests (i.e. something interesting, actual choices... not "slay him with a spell, sword, or stealth!".

Spazmo

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I predict that no matter how good the quests are, you will still think they suck.

I counter predict that no matter how good you think the quests are, they will still suck.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Spazmo, I'm not even entering myself into the equation. I think that DarkUnderlord and some others are simply predisposed to believe that Oblivion will be no good. And they will remain negative about it even in the face of a vast majority thinking otherwise, EVEN IF he secretly buys the game and loves it. Unless it becomes unfashionable to do that on RPGCodex.

I'd love to be proven wrong about that assumption.

Chefe

Erudite
I predict that I'm going to secretly buy Oblivion and love it like a puppy, then post on the Codex that it sucks.

Tintin

Arbiter
Spazmo said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

I counter predict that no matter how good you think the quests are, they will still suck.

You're kind of confirming what he said...you know, RPGCodexers predisposed to think they will suck....

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I think that DarkUnderlord and some others are simply predisposed to believe that Oblivion will be no good.... Unless it becomes unfashionable to do that on RPGCodex.
Do you really think, after reading DU's posts, that he criticizes Oblivion because it's fashionable at the Codex?

"okay, Dark Underlord, we finally accept you. You can play with us now but remember, Oblivion sucks and don't you ever forget it!!!" *rolls eyes*

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Nice snip there, VD :)

It's not a matter of whether the Codex community will accept a particular poster because of their opinions. It's a matter of whether a particular poster feels the need to toe a particular line because if they don't, they fear rejection. And you know as well as I that there are DEFINITELY some here who fall into that category (whether DarkUnderlord is one of those people or not.)

And I was really responding in kind to his assertation that Oblivion's quests suck ("oh boy are you really gonna go cop it when everyone finds out your quests suck"). He doesn't know they do. He's assuming they do. Which is no better than a member of the aforementioned group of people would do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom