Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Baldur's Gate 2: Reloaded - remake in NWN2 engine from creators of Baldur's Gate: Reloaded

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't have a problem with the graphics. NWN2 actually looked fairly spiffy when it came out, compared to NWN1, which had always basically looked awful.

It's the control system of NWN2 that's the fun-killer. BioWare eventually got into a better position with control systems by Dragon Age and on, but NWN2 is just horrible, it has good options, but scattered all over the place, and bad options forced with good options and god knows what else, to the point that you can never really get a satisfying system going, no matter how much you tweak it, add .ahks or whatever.

Gargaune

Magister
It looks fine from an overhead perspective, it gets worse and worse the more horizontal the camera goes, and the conversation system with fully-zoomed character faces is abysmal especially compared to NWN1's modular, elegant little text boxes. This decision, more than anything else, is what utterly killed its potential for modders, in my opinion.
Disagree, NWN2 looked fine from overhead and it still looked passable for its time in cinematic sequences. But I especially disagree with the last point, because NWN2 had little text boxes too, it wasn't all cinematic dialogue. What killed its modding potential relative to its forebear was the increased labour, bad ergonomics and shoddy functionality of the Electron Toolset.

I vastly prefer cinematic dialogue rather than being forced to stare at a tiny textbox in the upper left corner of the screen, the only issue with it was the camera often failed to place the characters properly when speaking. You'd be talking to your party members or an NPC and half the time they would be speaking toward the camera rather than toward your character which was erroneously placed off to the side somewhere. The weird thing is I don't remember that being a problem in NWN 2's OC or in any RPG with a cinematic camera for that matter, but the issue was everywhere in Mask of the Betrayer. I may be misremembering because I played the OC a while ago now, but it seemed to me that despite nearly everything else being much better in MotB, the camera was far worse. Many times I'd zone to a new area and accidentally rezone when clicking to move. The camera always seemed to be bumping into shit in the foreground and overhead as if it had it's own physicality. Especially bad in Mulsantir with all of the tall buildings and trees.

Robber Baron

Savant
NWN2 looked great at the time, to be fair, graphics were the main reason I even finished the game. Characters had that 90s CG cutscene look(like Diablo 2 sprites came into full 3d) to them that mesmerized me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom