Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
The steam forum on the game is a big lol. 90% of the comments are negative and then there are a few die hards calling everyone trolls.
People who enjoy something are far less likely to leave a review or comment.

Codex Year of the Donut
You crashlanded in the snail in essentially the middle of nowhere
And? Why choose nowhere instead of somewhere? They have all the power and all the locations of the Coast. They have setting and all of it on their hands.
If you're asking whether I like to see parts of FR that haven't been part of 10 separate video games already, the answer is yes.
image.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
technically there was Amn and Tethyr tho, even in BG.
in NWN aside from it, in MoTB was Rashemen afaik.

But what I mean, even if it's SC, it looks more like a theme park than actual traveling in a world.

Shinros

Learned
I imagine those who really care and understand are doing activism on the streets instead of on social media. It's also an ego thing. They virtue signal for self-satisfaction, pride, love from the echo chamber. To have feels about sometihng may indicate morality but it isn't a moral action. The only moral actions are those that create positive, tangible consequences. I raise attention to stuff but only if what I say can make a practical difference, or generate one (e.g. Yemen, imperialism, whatever - stuff we can actually address, that we are not aware of because the media is virtue-signaling Trump/anti-Trump all day, every day... Heck, even talk political theory that is unrelated to the current scenario).

Virtue signalers who accomplish nothing, especially companies, it's all for themselves.

I don't get why people don't get that complaining doesn't cause change unless action is taken. If they have the opportunity to take action but they are virtue signaling instead, then for all intents and purposes, they're being immoral.

Lol what about the inside forces? Matt Ward? Primaris Marines?

See I don't care what they do, but when they start changing the things I like I get annoyed. Also, I'm a xeno player. Tyranids are my thing. Space marines are eh... If I had to pick a chapter it would be the Black Templars.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

All of this reminded me of that time Sven was blown away realizing that women simply don't play (real) video games.
http://www.lar.net/2015/09/07/where-are-the-women/

It's easy to be led to believing the opposite thanks to media and a human's bias towards believing their own experiences are universal.
Swen the indoctrinated cultist said:
But of course, that didn’t mean I wasn’t curious and actually also a little bit worried.

Because if we indeed have as many women players as I think we do, does that mean we are communicating on the wrong channels about our games? Obviously we’d like them to know about what we’re making. So how do we talk to them? According to this report, we should at least be seeing a 50/50 split, not a 5/95 or 10/90.
I would almost think he was being surreptitious and trying to redpill people about target audiences had he not gone so far in this article.

It’s never a “problem” when your market is half the population on earth and your marketing is on point and working, you nutcase.

I bet maxi pads have an EXTREMELY small share of the male demographic in their user base and the companies that make them don’t see that as a problem.

The steam forum on the game is a big lol. 90% of the comments are negative and then there are a few die hards calling everyone trolls.

Not that different from the Codex.
Slightly different:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1086940/discussions/0/2971771480488739943/
We can put off the turn based combat and play like others game?
I want to play without the turn based mode, like i play Neverwinter Nights and Pathfinder Kingmaker cause turn based is boring and lose combat realism, i know a lot of players like turn based combat, but i dont like and i want to know if someone knows about this.
sxxjAEM.png

Larian is the Bethesda of top down turn based games, what with the theme park world design.
Pretty much all BG games have theme park world design, just broken up into various areas due to engine limitations. There was an entire area of BG1 that was literally just a carnival...

If you look at the way they designed the map, it's like they took BG1 map design and then glued all the maps together, which you can technically do in BG1 since most of the maps do fit together and roads and paths flow from one map into another.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Slightly different
oy steam forums.

huh

at first I thought I was in Pathfinder forum by accident:

casters are pathetic
Miss miss miss CRITICAL MISS miss miss miss!
I spend more time reloading the game because of unfair dice rolls than playing the game
way to many dice rolls

Funny how they grabbed BG and DND name, and not only alienate BG fans, but their own fans who are used to magic being well very OP even early.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
A few hours in and the game has me intrigued, but absent the title, I wouldn’t immediately connect it to the Baldurs Gate series.

The game needs polish (optimization, glitches), the load times are longer than I would expect, and I find the camera frustrating at times. Despite the issues, I think it has potential.

Codex Year of the Donut
Popped open the main campaign file
Potential companions/camp followers:
Daisy
Helia
Minsc
Sylvira(? This guy?)
Karlach(That's the wounded tiefling, right?)
"Unnamed Drow"
"Den Leader"

I think the gnome you can save may come to your camp("Unfortunate Gnome")

Confirmed classes:
Barbarian
Bard
Druid
Monk
Paladin
Sorcerer

Confirmed races:
Gnome/Deep gnome
Dragonborn
Half-orc(? is this ingame already?)
Duergar, same as above

There's also a lot of references to alignment so it's something that WotC must have told them to remove late in development.
Also, I was correct. There's a lot of flags related to time passing/events happening on certain days.
Shadowheart gets captured and tortured

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
The level design and the overall scale in BG3 is how i imagined those beautiful and atmospheric BG, BG2 and Icewind Dale backgrounds would look like in 3d.

You can say whatever you like about other aspects of the game, but when it comes to presentation they nailed it

Shrimp

Arbiter
Well, I made it to the end of the Early Access version. I overlooked some things and outright missed some other stuff that I've seen mentioned here, but I'm just going to leave those for later. I think I'm going to leave the game alone for a couple of months and just wait for them to gradually add more stuff and fix bugs.
The game feels very rough in some areas. Inventory and hotbar management is a total mess like in both Original Sin games. The camera becomes very clunky whenever you're around tall scenery like cliffs or towers, having to manually target every character one by one when you want to jump across a chasm is tedious busywork that you end up doing far too much. Basically loads of tiny annoyances that aren't really a big deal but still end up becoming aggravating because you frequently run into them.
If these things can get fixed I genuinely believe the game can become something huge - in a good way. Refusing to touch it until its full official release is completely understandable, but I think the people who choose to scorn the game because of superficial things like the dialogue cutscenes, 5E ruleset and turn based are doing themselves a disservice. The current EA build doesn't have a great number of long quests, but from what I've seen they do seem to actually offer branching paths and solutions that actually result in different outcomes. Here's hoping the rest of the game will be the same.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Barbarian
Bard
Druid
Monk
Paladin
Sorcerer

That makes all 12, no surprises here.

Daisy
Helia
Minsc
Sylvira(? This guy?)
Karlach(That's the wounded tiefling, right?)
"Unnamed Drow"
"Den Leader"

Maybe the Doomsayers are right? Those aren't very many and if some are relegated to pure camp followers that's not a lot.
That or they trickle them in.

About that alignment thing, WOTC told them to "tone the alignment stuff down" since it is not a big thing in 5e. Seems like they took that as cut everything before release, if any word of alignment is still in there our heads will roll.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom